TAKING THE PLUNGE - AFV TIGER E LATE PRODUCTION.

Evening all......need to build something, so I'm doing my first Tiger......:yahoo:...... Picked this AFV one up and thought I'd give it a go. Also throwing in the specific Voyager upgrade and the ATAK Zimmerit. Not sure yet though, where and when and what unit. Still doing some reading. I need to then get a good few hours in walk around pic off the web fir any additional detail, welds etc. I think I might for the first time pick an actual vehicle in an image and follow it. I'll post that one I make my mind up....I have a feeling a tired old lady just before the end of line in April '45

Here's the items in question....if anyone wants me to pop up the actual spru's....I will if you need to see. From first glance, great sharp detail. Nice texture of the rolled steel on the turret side, but way too smooth on main hull plates. What's nice about this AFV is you get an aluminium barrel in the box.......and grill cover's. So I'll end up with some pares from the Voyager if I choose to use the AFV supplied.

CI4GV6O.jpg

Here's the ATAK. Come's with all the smaller Zim components, up to the gun matel.

AaohaDF.jpg

Here's the Voyager update set.  Pretty nice, and give's you all what you need to raise the bar on small parts.

s9ullMW.jpg

Anyway Gent's......off to do some research and build note.Hope to kick this off mid next week or sooner.....

Simon.

• Like 10

Based on the high quality of your recent work I need to follow your progress on this one Simon, even though Tigers aren't really my bag I'm sure you're going to have a few tricks that I can nick. :D

Wayne

• Thanks 1

Ah a @Redcoat2966 build and a Tiger at that, what's not to like? 

I'll take a seat if I may always learn from your builds, 

Stay safe       Roger

• Like 1

Got me again Simon, another build I'll follow keenly!

Where can you get the Atak sets from these days?

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Based on the high quality of your recent work I need to follow your progress on this one Simon, even though Tigers aren't really my bag I'm sure you're going to have a few tricks that I can nick. :D

Wayne

Hi Wayne, and thanks......so far I have to be honest, there's not a lot to them really. Quite a plain Jane of a vehicle, you wonder where the 250,000 Reich Marks went...:wonder:  I thinks it's going to be the painting that makes it something......have to still decide on where that will go.

11 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Looks to be a great project. Mind if I follow... :popcorn:

My pleasure Vaastav......It'll be long one I feel as though I said to Wayne a simple vehicle....the devil will be in the detail.

5 hours ago, Hamden said:

Ah a @Redcoat2966 build and a Tiger at that, what's not to like? 

I'll take a seat if I may always learn from your builds, 

Stay safe       Roger

More the merrier Roger :yes:.......I'll try and post build stages best I can. I feel the build will be shorter than other....and spend the most on the paint job.

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Got me again Simon, another build I'll follow keenly!

Where can you get the Atak sets from these days?

Atb

Darryl 

Yeah, another build. Just had to get to building something as I'm stuck on the Mobelwagen......lost interest really, and all the rest are requiring some tedious weathering to finish.....and I'm not up to that at present. As regards the ATAK.....I picked it up well in last year when I got this kit off Ebay. I know, or have heard; hard to get now with Brexit shipping issue's. I don't think I'd attempt this one at present....couldn't face doing home made Zimmerit...:worry:

Here's where I've got to.

lRmbOa8.jpg

Based upon review of the PE set, all location holes and bracket detail has to be removed. I filled with stretched sprue, cut and sanded back. Still have to remove the extinguisher bracket and locking detail for grill covers. All will be done in PE in the end. There is a point that if I do a very late survivor, like the ad hoc battle groups in April and May '45, a lot of parts were not on many vehicles......still researching on that.

2MrpGE4.jpg

Put together the torsion bar suspension, which is workable. On this, I might try and add some ballast to create the correct look. Too much, and will sit on it chassis......this also  has springs for the idler to create some tension on the tracks. Have t see if that really set's the sag right. Might decided if the overall build goes well; and use the special metal with pin tracks I have from China.....or....the set of Academy Tiger tracks I have had for some time. Have to see. Off now to finish the wheels.....lucky that on the final steel wheel marks, the outer set wasn't used....there's a bonus.

Hope to post soke more soon....time is tight these days. I promise also to look in on all other blogs when time allows.

Cheers all

Simon.

• Like 9

Way-hay Tiger wheels,  don't you just love them!

As for the Atak,  suspected as much but lived in hope....

Good luck with the build, as you say, late Tigers (45) have a fair bit of leeway.

Atb

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all.....a real quick question to the Tiger aficionados out there.....was there Zimmerit behind where the rear storage unit was located at the rear of the turret?

Regards

Simon.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Evening all.....a real quick question to the Tiger aficionados out there.....was there Zimmerit behind where the rear storage unit was located at the rear of the turret?

Yes as when it was applied to the turret in factory it was done before the bin was mounted.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Yes as when it was applied to the turret in factory it was done before the bin was mounted.

Thanks Steve, appreciate that mate.......I'm trying to split one set of ATAK Zim' between two Tigers.

Thanks again.

Simon.:yes:

• Like 1

Never real paid much attention to the AFV Club Tiger kits , they do like nice ;)

Reckon you’ll do a proper nice job with this one mate :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1