5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Always here to help.

Gidday, that's how we feel when we mention 'lights' on other models. 😁 

Sorry, that was a hit below the belt I know, but I couldn't help myself. 😁 

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Perhaps next time he should write a unique identification number beside each rivet to make it easier for us to critique the work. 

The trouble with that, Steve, is that Martians having tentacles instead of fingers to count on their numbering system would probably be incomprehensible to us earthlings.

But yeah Martian, you might like to do something about that 26th rivet. 😁 Regards to all, Jeff.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Was just reviewing this fine work when I noted that the 26th rivet (counting from top-centre downwards) on the external face of the fifth bulkhead (counting from the front to the rear) on the Port side appears to be approximately 0.5 mm too far forward relative to the rest of the line. 

Just thought I would point that out so you can rush to correct it! 😬

Always here to help. 👍

Many a true word Steve, many a true word! I did notice that one rivet either got missed or fell off the model. It will be corrected during the final riveting session.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Martian said:

I did notice that one rivet either got missed or fell off the model. It will be corrected during the final riveting session.

See - if you had a unique sequential I.D. number for each rivet this might not have happened. Maybe some sort of on-line rivet-tracking ‘app’ on your phone might help too. 

• Haha 3

On 6/11/2021 at 5:27 PM, Terry1954 said:

A question though, will you be modelling a 1/35 @Courageous to crew the thing? He's the only one around here I can think of as suitably qualified.

Terry

He may be qualified, but I don't think he's that stupid - it sank 3 times! I was going suggest Baldrick for the job but can you imagine what it would be like to be holed up in such a small space with him??? It wouldn't need to sink, they'd all be suffocated!

Ian

• Haha 2

Firstly Martian, thats a fantastic amount of detailing, well done.

Secondly regarding the rivets, have you done them as raised rivet heads?

I ask this question as one of the findings of the Hunley's restoration is that she was actually assembled with countersunk head rivets, so the rivets laid flush with the surface of the sub. 

http://civil-war-picket.blogspot.com/2015/01/hl-hunley-scientists-peeling-away-crust.html

Martian it is your model and your interpretation, i am always impressed by skills.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whitestar12chris said:

Firstly Martian, thats a fantastic amount of detailing, well done.

Secondly regarding the rivets, have you done them as raised rivet heads?

I ask this question as one of the findings of the Hunley's restoration is that she was actually assembled with countersunk head rivets, so the rivets laid flush with the surface of the sub. 

http://civil-war-picket.blogspot.com/2015/01/hl-hunley-scientists-peeling-away-crust.html

Martian it is your model and your interpretation, i am always impressed by skills.

All the best Chris

The rivets were domed and then hammered and filed as flat as possible. If you look at the rivets that are still in place in the picture, they are not completely flush. The rivets on the model reflect this, cut as they are from .10 'thou and will get a sanding as well, leaving just the impression of the rivets.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Now that the chap from Albion Alloys has taken the pictures he needs, I have got back on this build. I have painted the walls of the submarine white as we are sure that that was the colour used, because traces of the paint survived. I went for a black floor as I thought a darker colour would have been used as it would show dirt less easily. I used Deep Cockpit from the Lifecolour set of "black" paints. This set is really useful as one can get different tones which help bring out detail. I gave the deck a good dry brushing with Citadel Mythryl Silver, concentrating on the rivet heads, to indicate wear from the crew getting in and out of the vessel. Between its second sinking and the attack on the Housatonic, Lt Dixon and his crew completed a great many training missions so a fair bit of wear is appropriate here. I gave the rivets on the white parts of the hull a brown wash to hint at rust starting to form and the dry brushed white over the top of this to highlight the rives themselves. The crank itself was painted in Citadel Boltgun Metal and the supports for the same, were painted black.

The crew's bench and the seat for the commander were then glued into place as was the tiller. Next up will be to get some primer on the remaining fittings for the inside of the boat and once these have been painted, we can start looking at getting the hull halves joined. I would like to say that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel but, in reality, getting the interior finished just qualifies me for a shed load of extra work on the outside of the submarine. More specifically, a few hundred more of those £$&^$$*g rivets! Still, looking on the bright side, it will buy me some more time to decide on what colour I want to paint the exterior of the boat. Sources differ widely as to this, varying from black to a pale grey. I will most likely go with something close to the colour used in the Conrad Wise Chapman painting as he seems to have got pretty much all the other details of the Hunley correct.

Time for some pictures methinks.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

069.jpg

070.jpg

071.jpg

072.jpg

• Like 13

56 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Wow, she's starting to look shipshape. 

You could say I was riveted to the computer screen reading your painting details. :goodjob:

John

Thanks John, for the compliment that is, not the terrible pun.

47 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

Fantastic. Which museum will this be displayed in? Front and center I should hope.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Cheers Bill. Displaying this one could be tricky when the spar torpedo is attached.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having got past the heat wave which put a stop to modelling; us Martians don't do heat, I have got on with painting the interior gubbins for the Hunley and getting them fitted to the sub. This seems to have taken a long time but this is probably down to most of them being very small. The crank in the pictures looks wonky but it does actually line up properly. The only part that needs adjusting is the pulley at the end of the crank. I need to take a couple of millimeters off of its shaft so I can pull it back so that it lines up with the pulley on the flywheel. When I have got these two lined up, I shall secure the crank shaft pulley with a drop of thin CA. Then will come the "interesting" job of making a chain of the right length so that it will fit over the two pulleys. I have some chain of abut the right size so it's "just" a matter of cutting it to the right length. Beyond that we are getting close to buttoning up the hull. I guess I had better make my mind up as to whether to reshape the bow or not. I still cannot reconcile the book saying that the current shape is due to erosion with the fact that the boat was buried under the seabed very quickly. Opinions please.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽 

073.jpg

074.jpg

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Martian said:

Having got past the heat wave which put a stop to modelling; us Martians don't do heat, I have got on with painting the interior gubbins for the Hunley and getting them fitted to the sub. This seems to have taken a long time but this is probably down to most of them being very small. The crank in the pictures looks wonky but it does actually line up properly. The only part that needs adjusting is the pulley at the end of the crank. I need to take a couple of millimeters off of its shaft so I can pull it back so that it lines up with the pulley on the flywheel. When I have got these two lined up, I shall secure the crank shaft pulley with a drop of thin CA. Then will come the "interesting" job of making a chain of the right length so that it will fit over the two pulleys. I have some chain of abut the right size so it's "just" a matter of cutting it to the right length. Beyond that we are getting close to buttoning up the hull. I guess I had better make my mind up as to whether to reshape the bow or not. I still cannot reconcile the book saying that the current shape is due to erosion with the fact that the boat was buried under the seabed very quickly. Opinions please.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽 

073.jpg

074.jpg

076.jpg

077.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

Excellent job on the Hunley Martian. As to the bow, I would go by McClintock's plans. I have my doubts as to the currents abrading the bow to the point of wearing it down. I would have thought the bow's damage would be partly from impact with the sea  bottom. It may have been soft and silty but still solid. But that's the opinion of a landlubber. Which means that and  25 pence wouldn't get you a decent cuppa tea.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Martian said:

us Martians don't do heat,

As Martian temperatures range between -100f and -70f I'm not surprised you're suffering.

The increase in tentacular mucus must severely impede ones modelling abilities.

Ps How do you cope with the Terran day being 37 minutes shorter?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

As Martian temperatures range between -100f and -70f I'm not surprised you're suffering.

The increase in tentacular mucus must severely impede ones modelling abilities.

Ps How do you cope with the Terran day being 37 minutes shorter?

Its more a case of the Terran night being shorter. Martians, especially this one, don't do mornings. I am only typing this at this hour because we have friends coming to dinner tonight and as I am cooking, I need to go in search of ingredients before the shelves empty.

As to the heat, you know it's time to give up when paint is drying on the brush and sweat is dripping in your eyes.

Martian 👽

Those internals are looking rather ship shape Martian. I can't imagine what it must have been like to actually go underwater inside this thing 😱 ........... bold submariners I reckon!

Terry

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Those internals are looking rather ship shape Martian. I can't imagine what it must have been like to actually go underwater inside this thing 😱 ........... bold submariners I reckon!

Terry

Thanks Terry, sadly, these submariners didn't live long enough to become old, bold submariners. Incerdibly brave men though.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

Gidday, and I doubt that submarine rescue techniques would have even been considered back then. Yeah, I don't think I could have done it. I like the sky above me, even if it is half full of water in heavy weather.

The model is a credit to you, and to the crews also, I think. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Martian said:

I still cannot reconcile the book saying that the current shape is due to erosion with the fact that the boat was buried under the seabed very quickly. Opinions please.

Maybe that is a typo and should read corrosion, not erosion. I remember reading somewhere that the sub was suffering from "corrosion fatigue" which led to cracks in the metal. The sub is also covered in rust, and the reason it was held in a water tank was to minimise further rust corrosion, as apparently it would be much worse in air.

Cheers,

Bill (who has no knowledge of underwater metal deterioration and deformation whatsoever)

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, and I doubt that submarine rescue techniques would have even been considered back then. Yeah, I don't think I could have done it. I like the sky above me, even if it is half full of water in heavy weather.

The model is a credit to you, and to the crews also, I think. Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff.

6 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Maybe that is a typo and should read corrosion, not erosion. I remember reading somewhere that the sub was suffering from "corrosion fatigue" which led to cracks in the metal. The sub is also covered in rust, and the reason it was held in a water tank was to minimise further rust corrosion, as apparently it would be much worse in air.

Cheers,

Bill (who has no knowledge of underwater metal deterioration and deformation whatsoever)

Thanks Bill, food for thought there.

5 hours ago, longshanks said:

Really showing the work that has gone into this tribute

Stay safe

Kev

Cheers Kev and as a gesture of my appreciation, I popped some seagulls in the post for you.

Generous of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...

I finally managed to get a couple of good sessions in at the bench after assorted embuggerances had conspired to put modelling activities on hold for some time. The news that Telford is going ahead also put the proverbial rocket up the equally proverbial Martian's rectum. A few people have helped with sourcing materials and parts for this build as well as joining in the serious debate when things have been unclear on the real submarine and the least I can do is to push the thing over the finishing line.

First up was to get the hull buttoned up. The fit here is poor although I knew this was going to be an issue before I started the project. I finally decided to go with the suggested straight bow and this was corrected by dint of laminated plastic card and lashings of Dolgellau's finest. Now just watch some smart Alec decide that the shape of the hull in the kit is right after all! Best keep them away from an angry blurglecruncheon totting Alien, things could get very messy! While the Miliput was out I also tackled the abysmal fit of the sub's keel. It was dished in and no amount of manipulating the kit parts could overcome this.  I removed the deadlights from the hull as they were getting in the way of cleaning up the seam on the upper hull. I will replace them just before painting.

Talking of painting, there seems to be a great many opinions as to the exact exterior colour of the submarine, ranging from black to a pale grey. Seeing as the Chapman Wise painting has proved to be accurate in so many other details, I think I am going to go with a mid grey, Tamiya Sky Grey seems to be the best bet for this.

The kit depicts a flange around the bases of the conning towers but this was indistinctly moulded and was getting in the way of cleaning up operations. Not one to mess about, these were carved away and new flanges fabricated from .10 'thou plastic sheet. These will get a good tidying up when the cement has had a good twenty four hours to cure.

Next up the snorkel system was cemented into place and a flange added to the base of this as well. The hose was then connected up with the bellows assemble that had been installed earlier. The hydroplanes were then added to the model before I decided that there was so much uncured glue on the model, that I had best leave things alone until the morrow.

Time to get the Martian Cave tidied now, prior to getting back to that riveting that I have been so looking forward to. Well, I haven't but doubtless you sadistic lot have!

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

080.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

085.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding Martian !. Anyone gives you grief about accuracy, Just look straight at them, then spit in their eye., or have Baldrick do it.. This is probably the most accurate version made(aside from the real thing ,of course). I still think it looks like it should be named the CSS Pearly though.:evil_laugh:

• Haha 1