4 hours ago, Brandy said:

I was hiding behind the sofa to avoid the General's goblins.

I shall stay there until they are safely back in his pants!

Ian

Perhaps you would be so kind as to round them up, if necessary at blurglecruncheon point, and return them to the aforementioned pants, via the Martian modelling bench. I trust you remember where you put the ostrich feather.

Talking of @general melchett's battle pants, they would form the basis of a good question for pub quizzes; Name the ten most horrific things to be found down General Melchett's battle pants. 🤮

Martian 👽

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Martian said:

Stop and walk away from the model for a while, while your concentration levels recover. Go back and repeat the process, when and only when you feel up to it.

Surely there is some drinking involved between the sessions?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Surely there is some drinking involved between the sessions?

Cheers,

Bill

Sorry Bill, I forgot to mention that copious consumption of ale between sessions is an essential part of the process. Even I am not stupid enough to attempt this part of the build without my brain being fogged by multiple pints of Baldrick's Old Scrotum IPA.* I stand corrected!

Martian 👽

*Edit. Other forms of intoxication are available.

• Haha 3

In the knicker of time to prevent me losing the remaining few marbles I still have, I finally got phase one of the riveting finished. I can now turn my attentions back to the interior, where what awaits me? That's right, more riveting! although nowhere near as much as been going on thus far. Hopefully I can get that knocked on the head quite quickly so I can press on with the seacocks and the transfer valves for the ballast tanks.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

058.jpg

059.jpg

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Iceman 29 said:

Great big job here! 

400px-We_Can_Do_It!_NARA_535413_-_Restor

I could have done with that lady's help when \I was knocking out all those rivets. I am still waiting on the beer delivery from @Brandy as recompense for his utter failure to liberate the goblins from @general melchett's battle pants.

Thirsty of Mars 👽

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Those rivets certainly look to be worth all that effort, nicely done!

As for the beer, it was last seen in Belgium being loaded into a roadside repair vehicle.......maybe @corsaircorp can enlighten us further as to its present whereabouts?

Ian

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Brandy said:

Those rivets certainly look to be worth all that effort, nicely done!

As for the beer, it was last seen in Belgium being loaded into a roadside repair vehicle.......maybe @corsaircorp can enlighten us further as to its present whereabouts?

Ian

You plonker! what in the blue blazes are you doing letting @corsaircorp drive off with a van load of beer? That's the last we will see of that; not that I got to see any of it anyway.

9 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

What a riveting tale! 

I take my hat off to Australia's greatest living comedian!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

Hello Dears !!

First... :gobsmacked:, what a jawdropping job on this sub my dear Alien !! Hat off... !!

Now, the day you'll see me loading Stella Artois in my van is not tomorrow.... Tsssss....

I use to bring on some REAL beers, As Delirium Tremens, Blue Chimay or even best Triple Chimay, Rochefort 10 or so on...

But Stella, Jupiler ??? Is this beverage really called beer ??? How did they dare ??

I'll go modelling tonight with a proper beer A Quadruple trappe.... That's beer !!!

Knowing that I'll get back to SMW in 2022 made me sick....

And then thanks to BJ, I'll have to hide my gifts for you to get through the customs....

Which mean that quantities will be on the lower side....

Now, as I'll enter U.K in Hull this time.... Who knows, they will maybe be more gentle up north....

Once again my dear tentacled one, Congratulations for the Hunley !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

Now, the day you'll see me loading Stella Artois in my van is not tomorrow.... Tsssss....

I use to bring on some REAL beers, As Delirium Tremens, Blue Chimay or even best Triple Chimay, Rochefort 10 or so on...

But Stella, Jupiler ??? Is this beverage really called beer ??? How did they dare ??

I'll go modelling tonoght with a proper beer A Quadruple trappe.... That's beer !!!

And then thanks to BJ, I'll have to hide my gifts for you to get through the customs....

Now, as I'll enter U.K in Hull this time.... Who knows, they will maybe be more gentle up north....

Sincerely.

CC

Earth calling CC, Earth calling CC.....the staff at Bletchley are working double shifts right now to decipher this lot....results will be posted soon...

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dears !!

First... :gobsmacked:, what a jawdropping job on this sub my dear Alien !! Hat off... !!

I'll go modelling tonoght with a proper beer A Quadruple trappe.... That's beer !!!

Sincerely.

CC

PLUTO, aka Pipe Line Under The Ocean, that's what you want. We must have some divers amongst our membership who can help you and certainly the odd plumber or two. Or was that the odd, odd plumber or two? Failing that, I'm sure that @general melchettcan ask Baldrick for a cunning plan or two.

Ever Practical of Mars 👽

• Haha 1

Failing that, I'm sure that @general melchett can ask Baldrick for a cunning plan or two.

No need....I could dust off my old BSAC SCUBA certificate from the dim and distant and see about sorting that little problem out. My double-skinned Dolphin neoprene wetsuit may need letting out a tad and I may need an extra bottle or two but such is the price of 'progress'....I'll have a word with Darling and see what/who he can knock up.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

No need....I could dust off my old BSAC SCUBA certificate from the dim and distant and see about sorting that little problem out. My double-skinned Dolphin neoprene wetsuit may need letting out a tad and I may need an extra bottle or two but such is the price of 'progress'....I'll have a word with Darling and see what/who he can knock up.

There you are CC. I said our beloved General would have and answer. Now I have done the research for you, all you have to do is to get on with the job. You have 45 seconds starting from: now! (Good game, good game)

Encouraging of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

If I remember well there is already a huuuuge pluto nicknamed "the sewer"

Hooops my bad, it did'nt get out in Poole harbour, Poole harbour ...Pearl harbour.... What did I think that way....

Pierre and I intended to go to SMW 2021 but given the situation....

It's gone the wrong way....

I talk about Hull because we want to get in Elvington, paying a visit to the Halifax....

The gremlins in Bletcley Park have deciphered it long ago....

And they saw the Stella Artois can on this Alien pic....

Easy....

Now, let's show some more intense riveting.

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I think @general melchettl went to Hull University, reckons it it is the top university in the land apparently but then he thinks Oxford is a complete dump. Must point that one out to Mrs Martian (MA Oxon). Her reaction should be interesting to say the least! I shall be telling her from the safety of an underground bunker capable of withstanding a direct nuclear hit. I should be safe (ish).

Your post was doing so well, right up to the point you mentioned "intense riveting". Your penance is a full day's trip on the harbour patrol launch with Captain Martian. :evil_laugh: At least it will be a day away from the Naughty Corner, even if you are begging to be let back in afterwards!

Captain Ahab von Martian 👽

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Martian said:

I think @general melchettl went to Hull University, reckons it it is the top university in the land apparently but then he thinks Oxford is a complete dump. Must point that one out to Mrs Martian (MA Oxon). Her reaction should be interesting to say the least! I shall be telling her from the safety of an underground bunker capable of withstanding a direct nuclear hit. I should be safe (ish).

Your post was doing so well, right up to the point you mentioned "intense riveting". Your penance is a full day's trip on the harbour patrol launch with Captain Martian. :evil_laugh: At least it will be a day away from the Naughty Corner, even if you are begging to be let back in afterwards!

Captain Ahab von Martian 👽

Ready to go Dear Admiral !!

And I think that even Moby Dickie will be afraid....

Even the biggest spermwhale will say, "these 2 together...Oh my god... Let's flee" :evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Now, I imagine sipping some Delirium on a glorious sunny afternoon on a Poole harbour launch !!! Look great indeed...

Is there any mermaid up there ??

Tempted CC

• Haha 1

Even the biggest spermwhale will say, "these 2 together...Oh my god... Let's flee. Now, I imagine sipping some Delirium on a glorious sunny afternoon on a Poole harbour launch !!! Look great indeed...

Nope, still none the wiser......Enigma deployed, cipher algorithms on stand-by, decryption update to follow.

I think general melchett went to Hull University, reckons it it is the top university in the land apparently but then he thinks Oxford is a complete dump.

And what's wrong with Hull University? I myself received a doctorate in advanced moustache-husbandry from those hallowed halls, Baldrick, an M.Sc. in turnip menacing and Darling, his B.Sc. in table-folding, paper-clip counting and chair-stacking, all vital qualifications for our future vocations within the British Army....Baaahh.

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Ready to go Dear Admiral !!

And I think that even Moby Dickie will be afraid....

Even the biggest spermwhale will say, "these 2 together...Oh my god... Let's flee" :evil_laugh::evil_laugh:

Now, I imagine sipping some Delirium on a glorious sunny afternoon on a Poole harbour launch !!! Look great indeed...

Tempted CC

Oh dear lord, I can imagine the news report...

"Horrific scenes in Poole today as a very drunk man and a Martian were detained whilst paddling an old bath tub around Poole Harbour, claiming they were the "Boom Patrol".

A number of suspicious containers were recovered at the scene, they are thought to once contained alcohol but the sniffer dog is still pished.

All the Emergency Service personnel are now receiving professional counselling".

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Oh dear lord, I can imagine the news report...

"Horrific scenes in Poole today as a very drunk man and a Martian were detained whilst paddling an old bath tub around Poole Harbour, claiming they were the "Boom Patrol".

A number of suspicious containers were recovered at the scene, they are thought to once contained alcohol but the sniffer dog is still pished.

All the Emergency Service personnel are now receiving professional counselling".

Wretched child! How very dare you to call my boat a bath tub. You too can join CC on his trip. I trust you are familiar with the terms keelhauling and "anchor inspection"?

Captain Flog 'em von Martian 👽 :whip:

• Haha 4

You will not be at all surprised that I have been spending the last few days adding more rivets to the Hunley. By way of variation however, these are smaller and on the inside of the hull. The deck, starboard side of the hull and the ballast tank bulkheads have all been fully crispinated. I had hoped to get away with not having to rivet the port side of the interior but much of this can be seen from various angles so it doesn't take Mystic Martian to predict that more punching out of tiny discs of plastic card features in my immediate future. At least @corsaircorp will be happy as he wanted to see more "intensive riveting"  as well as @Ex-FAAWAFU as he invented crispination anyway.

I have been doing some more researching into why the Hunley was lost and I feel I am narrowing down the possible reasons. Originally, the Hunley as designed to tow a contact mine with the submarine diving under its target and then resurfacing on its far side. This would result in the charge being dragged under the target vessel and being detonated on contact with its hull. The submarine would be protected from the blast of the charge by the hull of its victim.

Sometime prior to the attack on the Housatonic, General Pierre Gustave Toutant-Beauregard, the garrison commander of Charleston, ordered Francis Lee, the inventor of the spar torpedo used on the David class of semi-submersibles, to adapt this weapon for use on the Hunley. Lee was initially very reluctant to do this but had to bow to the General's authority. The upshot of this was that the Hunley went into battle with an untested weapon. As the torpedo detonated on contact, it would appear that one of two things might have happened. It was considered too dangerous to leave the torpedo on the submarine when she was not in use and the torpedo had to be attached to its spar every time it was needed, although we are not told the reason for this. Could it be that the explosive in the charge was considered unstable? Maybe. The other possibility, and the one that I am tending to lean towards at the moment, is that the torpedo's trigger mechanism was either too sensitive or of faulty manufacture and that the considerable impact of the spar against the hull of the Housatonic, with the momentum of the weight of the Hunley behind it, tripped the trigger prematurely, setting off the charge on impact, rather than allowing the Hunley to  retreat to a safe distance before setting off the charge in the controlled manner planned.

Anyhow, here are some pictures of the newly crispinated interior of the hull and as always thanks for looking.

Boggle-eyed of Mars 👽

060.jpg

061.jpg

062.jpg

063.jpg

• Like 14