1 hour ago, Kevin Aris said:

love to see subs being built, but having served in them for 30 years i dont think i will be building one any time soon

That's interesting. As a former submariner, do you have any insights as to why you would have ballast tanks that were open to the inside of a boat? To a layman, it seems an absolutely bonkers idea and one that certainly caused the deaths of one of the Hunley's crews.

Puzzled of Mars 👽

1 hour ago, Martian said:

That's interesting. As a former submariner, do you have any insights as to why you would have ballast tanks that were open to the inside of a boat? To a layman, it seems an absolutely bonkers idea and one that certainly caused the deaths of one of the Hunley's crews.

Puzzled of Mars 👽

hello Martian

looking at some online plans, i see nothing about the ballast tanks being open to the inside, that would be just silly, it seams the most plausible reason for the loss of life, was running out of air, as it appears everyone was at their posts

but other theories exist  Top Possible Theories – The Friends of The Hunley

22 minutes ago, Kevin Aris said:

hello Martian

looking at some online plans, i see nothing about the ballast tanks being open to the inside, that would be just silly, it seams the most plausible reason for the loss of life, was running out of air, as it appears everyone was at their posts

but other theories exist  Top Possible Theories – The Friends of The Hunley

It is referred to in literature on the boat and can indeed be seen in pictures of the interior being excavated. The second time she sank, she was seen to dive bow first and never resurfaced, the first time she sank she was swamped by another vessel's wash as the crew were boarding and the third and final time, it appears that the torpedo went off prematurely and the crew were killed and /or rendered unconscious by the blast. Analysis of the remains of the crew's brains lends support to this theory.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kevin Aris said:

love to see subs being built, but having served in them for 30 years i dont think i will be building one any time soon

That was my thoughts too until I was heckled at my model club and now build the occasional one to keep them sweet.B)

10 hours ago, Kevin Aris said:

ballast tanks being open to the inside, that would be just silly,

:ditto:As Spock would say, 'that's illogical Captain'. Maybe we're attaching too much modern day theories and understanding to what was very pioneering stuff at the time. Of what little I have read, it had a crew of eight; one to steer the rest to act as the engine. Hand-pumps used to pump the water out equals less manpower for the crack equals less speed. I wouldn't be volunteering for that, very interesting stuff.

Stuart

• Like 1

An update on my last update. Having consulted with a well known member of the Imperial General Staff of the parish, I can now openly acknowledge the assistance of one @general melchett and Neil Gaunt of Aircraft in Miniature who designed and printed the propeller guard for me. They have my deep appreciation for helping me with the build.

Appreciative of Mars 👽 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Courageous said:

That was my thoughts too until I was heckled at my model club and now build the occasional one to keep them sweet.B)

:ditto:As Spock would say, 'that's illogical Captain'. Maybe we're attaching too much modern day theories and understanding to what was very pioneering stuff at the time. Of what little I have read, it had a crew of eight; one to steer the rest to act as the engine. Hand-pumps used to pump the water out equals less manpower for the crack equals less speed. I wouldn't be volunteering for that, very interesting stuff.

Stuart

oooooooo i would volunteer 

at least i would be recognised for something in the future, rather than a grumpy old EX maelot who builds kits badly 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'd be a little leary about volunteering to crew an experimental vessel that had already sunk twice.

The line between bravery and stupidity is very, very,  thin, and it's usually the outcome that decides which side you were on!

Ian

• Like 2

Gidday, Ian that's too true. I guess they thought - "Third time lucky?"

Martian, that prop work you've done is very good. I might commission you to do some for me. Do you work in 1/600 scale? And what are the courier delivery rates from Mars at present?

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, Ian that's too true. I guess they thought - "Third time lucky?"

Martian, that prop work you've done is very good. I might commission you to do some for me. Do you work in 1/600 scale? And what are the courier delivery rates from Mars at present?

Regards, Jeff.

Thanks Jeff. Mrs Martian runs a post room and she can get preferential rates. So, with 15% staff discount applied it works out at £1.50 for the prop and £500 Billion postage and packing. Customs charges are included.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

A quick update on how the Hunley is coming along. I haven't got as much done as I would like over the last few days as I have to have to get the Harbour Patrol launch ready for the Easter weekend, read, start of the silly season and the opening round of this years competition for the Darwin Awards!. Trying to get it done with only two people being allowed to meet outside until tomorrow is a nightmare!

Anyway, I scratch built a couple of hand pumps for the ballast tanks, they took several hours to do. What plonker thought it was a cunning plan to do this as a cut away model?

After a lot of thought, I decided that the bench seat I was planning to fit would have definitely got in the was of both the forward ballast pump and the hydroplane lever. I therefore made a box prom plastic card and strip and laminated it with wood veneer. We do not know whether the seat was made of metal or wood as none of it  was left when the boat's interior was excavated. I went with wood to ad a bit more colour to the interior.

I have had misgivings about the harpoon shaped part that Mikro-Mir provide for the end of the spar torpedo. It just doesn't look like it is the most efficient or likely design. Surely you would want to concentrate the mass and momentum of the submarine into the smallest possible area to ensure maximum penetration?  I was pondering this when I came across a painting showing the spar with a four bladed arrow head design. Although we don't know if this is the actual design, it seemed more plausible than the kit part. Some Albion Alloys slide fit tubing and some scraps of plastic card sorted this out. The pictures aren't great, partly due to my incompetence with a camera and partly due to the miniscule size of the part we are talking about. I will ask Mrs, Extremeovision, Martian to do a couple when she is free.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

037.jpg

038.jpg

042.jpg

039.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Oh go on, are those your tentacles?

Who else's?  I think it was @Normanwho was going on about multi tentacled talent the other day so, instead of photoshopping them out of the pictures as I usually do, I just left them in. Another Earthling earns that most popular of prizes, a romantic night out with @general melchett. 🤮 The wooden spoon prize is a romantic night out with Baldrick.:frantic:

(Between you and me), I am secretly hoping that @longshanks gets the wooden spoon. Not through any evil intent you understand but just to hear him shouting "Bring back the seagulls, all is forgiven!"

Generous of Mars 👽

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Martian said:

Who else's?  I think it was @Normanwho was going on about multi tentacled talent the other day so, instead of photoshopping them out of the pictures as I usually do, I just left them in. Another Earthling earns that most popular of prizes, a romantic night out with @general melchett. 🤮 The wooden spoon prize is a romantic night out with Baldrick.:frantic:

(Between you and me), I am secretly hoping that @longshanks gets the wooden spoon. Not through any evil intent you understand but just to hear him shouting "Bring back the seagulls, all is forgiven!"

Generous of Mars 👽

Why Martian, I've won a prize? A night out with Melchie? Cor, I can hardly wait !!

I suppose it must get wearing after a while, trying to disguise your unearthly tentacles  (and please, let Ced not see this !!)  but even the great Martian must relax one time .

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, RAF4EVER said:

Nice tentacles, I don`t know why,but I assumed they would be green.👍😈

Geoff

Us Martians have photochromatic cells. I am currently going through my blue period.

Martian in Blue 👽

• Haha 1

Found it when we were having a clear out at home and decided it would be useful for my ready use tools. I have dedicated boxes for each of my different types of tools. One for photo etch tools, one for soldering stuff, one for drills and pin vices etc. In a room as small as I have, one has to be very organised, something that doesn't come naturally to me.

Scatterbrained of Mars 👽

• Like 1

And here I thought the tentacles were a tribute to Jules Verne...    :doh:

In any event, I love what you're doing to the kit. Although, I'm having visions of shoelaces when I see those eyelets. Mother Superior had a nasty habit of flogging you if your shoes weren't tied. I'm sure this is why Velcro was invented.

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 3

The wooden spoon prize is a romantic night out with Baldrick.

Well it could have been significantly worse Martian....it could have read 'The wooden spoon prize is a romantic night IN with Baldrick'.

Why Martian, I've won a prize? A night out with Melchie? Cor, I can hardly wait !!

I hope you're bracing yourself for an evening you'll never forget (well, not without serious therapy, please note, PTSD charges are extra)...

Mother Superior had a nasty habit of flogging you if your shoes weren't tied.

Well I sincerely hope she got a decent price, Bill, sounds like a pretty dicey school you attended...even worse than Winchester.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I was doing some more mugging up on the Hunley last night and finally got to the bottom of the mystery of the open topped ballast tanks. The explanation is this: It seems that the designer of the boat wanted the tanks open at the top in order that any water that found its way into the crew compartment could be bailed out into the ballast tanks! Crazy I know and |William Alexander, the man that built the Hunley, argued long and hard against this plan but ultimately was obliged to do as he was told. What was wrong with a bilge pump or just pumping the water directly into the ballast tanks? Beats me! Still that is the story.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

On 29/03/2021 at 18:34, general melchett said:

I hope you're bracing yourself for an evening you'll never forget (well, not without serious therapy, please note, PTSD charges are extra)

You'll find a grammar school boy from Wales will be hard to impress - and having lived through many years of Welsh rugby misadventures my upper lip is stiff enough to avoid ptsd.

• Haha 2