how to recreate the discs/rings on the flying surfaces of a Tiger Moth in 1:48?

neillydone

Evening all, I'm building the Airfix 1:48 Tiger Moth in a UK Civil Registration scheme - G-AIXJ (purely cos I like the burgundy colour scheme - hope it doesnt offend anyone here) in a "competition" with a friend from my club. I'm trying to recreate the circular inspection hatches (??) on the vertical stab & rudder, upper surface of upper mainplanes and lower surface of lower mainplanes iaw the Eduard aftermarket PE destructions.

I've tried the ones from the Eduard PE set which are too thick and seem out of scale hence my desire to try a home cooked alternative. I then tried circles of parafilm put through a punch & die to create circles of the right diameter. these seem a better thickness but of course looking at photos these hatches (if that is what they are) appear as rings. The nearest I've got is v thin brass wire wrapped around a bit of sprue, but I don't fancy doing 40 of these that Eduard says are needed....

I'd be grateful if anyone could advise me either of a good technique to recreate these, or which I can focus on (maybe just those on the vertical surfaces as they seem most obvious), or whether I ought to just not bother 🙂 

Many thanks in advance,

I think this is a "if you can't do it right leave it alone" case...  In 1/48, masks cut with a plotter (Silhouette, Cricut, etc) and the ring suggested with paint would be my choice. But I would like to read others opinions.

Carlos

• 2 weeks later...

Get a circle template and cut the rows of circles  from the template so they are easier to work with. Lay the correct size circle down on the desired surface and spray a couple of coats of the exterior paint onto it- remove and you should see a raised circle. Another method might be to  find a hole punch the desired diameter and punch discs from masking tape or vinyl tape; apply the discs and then paint over them with the exterior color.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 7:55 PM, Black Knight said:

Punch holes in tape or other sticky-back stuff. Put that where the disc should be. Apply a thin coat of paint then peel sticky-back stuff off. That will leave a thin disc.

A useful tool to do such holes  in a tape (glued on foil) is a belt holes puncher designed for work with leather belts. 

https://www.flipkart.com/naitik-creation-belt-hole-puncher-punch-plier/p/itm54da20f3b7d51

It is very good to cut any circular small items like a covers for pitch regulation mechanism on prop hubs for instance.

But maybe you have already finished the model...

Regards

J-W