Lockheed F5 (PR Lightning). Help with information sources.

DOD

Hi all,

I am planning to build a Lockheed F5 PR of the 7th PRG at Mount Farm as a companion to the Spitfire PR XI I am working on at the moment.

I have only a few photos so am starting from scratch. Can anyone recommend any books or websites on the PR Lightnings and Lightnings in general?

I have obtained an Academy 1/48 F5. Any comments about this  model? 

Are there any decal sheets that cover the subject? 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Cheers 

David 

Aeromaster did a sheet of PR Mossies and F-5`s,..... might be worth looking out for? Rising Sun did a sheet but I`ve only seen it in 1/72nd,... good luck.  Somebody might also have a left over sheet from an Italeri F-5 kit?

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

I have a surplus of these decals: Aeromaster

First edition they are not color instructions.

i can only sell lightnigs.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aeromaster-48-082-recon-birds--173880#

aeromaster-48082.jpg

Samo-Pk

Edited by politicni komisar

3 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello David,

I have this book with excellent photos: https://www.amazon.com/P-38-Lightning-World-Color-Enthusiast/dp/0879388684

Plenty of high quality colour photos of reconnaissance Lightnings. Some photos taken at Mountain Farm.

Cheers,

Antti

Hi Antti,

Thank you for this. I have just ordered a cheap copy from Ebay through bookfinder.com (a great source for books).

Cheers

David

Which version of the F5 are you planning to build? There is an excellent reference book I have titled Patton's Eyes in the Sky, by Tom Ivie that has color profiles, photos, and stories of F4, F5, and F6 recon aircraft and other observation types that you might find interesting and informative. IIRC, you can still find it on Amazon and Abe Books.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

Which version of the F5 are you planning to build? There is an excellent reference book I have titled Patton's Eyes in the Sky, by Tom Ivie that has color profiles, photos, and stories of F4, F5, and F6 recon aircraft and other observation types that you might find interesting and informative. IIRC, you can still find it on Amazon and Abe Books.

Mike

Thanks for the reference, Mike. I have had a look at the blurb and it does look interesting. However, I was planning on a 5E from the 7th PRG and I think it covers the 10th, but may still have relevant info. May give it a punt anyway.

Cheers

David 

1 hour ago, DOD said:

I was planning on a 5E

No problem, David. Not well-versed on 1/48 kits, but IIRC you can do a 5E using the Academy kit. I also recall seeing a 1/48 resin PR nose conversion, but I don't remember the maker or the PR version it covered. Good luck with your model.

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 27/02/2021 at 16:53, DOD said:

Can anyone recommend any books or websites on the PR Lightnings and Lightnings in general?

you may find some useful info in here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings/Lockheed-P-38-F-4-F-5-Lightning

there are lots of photos here of the 7th PRG

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/unit/522

Are you aware of haze paint, and synthetic haze paint?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Very intersting introduction to the subject which is turning out to be bigger than I thought!

there are lots of photos here of the 7th PRG

http://www.americanairmuseum.com/unit/522

I had seen some of these before  but there is a lot more to go through now and some seem really useful.

Are you aware of haze paint, and synthetic haze paint?

I have come across some snippets about this and how hard it seems to be to apply. I think a PRU blue scheme for me!

Thanks again,

Cheers

David 

Hi Antti, 

I bet there are some interesting effects though I suspect mine will look as if it has just come out of the paintshop! Unless my painting goes wrong, that is!

Cheers

David 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Antti_K said:

photo recce Lightnings were painted with PRU Blue in England.

That is why the F-4B conversion I  made was painted in PRU blue, as that same information is  what I found in my copy of the Ducimus Camouflage Colors and Markings monograph I had on P-38 Lightnings. We had a pretty thorough discussion on the subject of haze paint a while back and due to early issues with that paint, many aircraft were painted with PRU blue, this being replaced later by a much better formulation of haze paint. Noted U.S. colors and markings authority Dana Bell also participated and posted.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Dana Bell said:

Hi David,

Since you specifically mentioned the 7th Phoyo Group, you might try to find a copy of their unit history:

https://www.amazon.com/Eyes-Eighth-Photographic-Reconnaissance-1942-1945/dp/0964911906/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=eyes+of+the+eighth&qid=1614684590&sr=8-1

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Dana

Thanks for your input on this. I am actually working my way through this. I got a very reasonable copy from California! It is very interesting but it mostly concerns the personnel and missions rather than the actual aircraft.

A good read though with some great tales and an insight into the background operations of the unit.

Thanks again 

Cheers

David

14 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That is why the F-4B conversion I  made was painted in PRU blue, as that same information is  what I found in my copy of the Ducimus Camouflage Colors and Markings monograph I had on P-38 Lightnings. We had a pretty thorough discussion on the subject of haze paint a while back and due to early issues with that paint, many aircraft were painted with PRU blue, this being replaced later by a much better formulation of haze paint. Noted U.S. colors and markings authority Dana Bell also participated and posted.

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for that, too. I will have a delve into the past posts about haze paints. It's all a bit of a learning  curve!

Cheers

David 

• Haha 1