Spray paint

Jonesy66

Hi all

this may be a stupid question, but are there generic spray paints out there one can buy that aren’t specific to models? I’ve not progressed to getting an airbrush and compressor (yet!) so I’ve been using Tamiya TS spray cans. But 100ml for about £6 each isnt cheap. 

I was looking at the spray cans from Homebase: 400ml for £11. 

any suggestions before I ruin the next model I build with the wrong paint?

thanks (AGAIN)

alan. 

T'other day I spotted Hycoat car paints in 'The Range'. Prices seemed to be about £4.99 and upwards for a large spray can.

I use a couple of generic silvers for nmf or aluminium finish and gloss/satin/matt black paints for undercoats and generic black finishes

Search on this forum and you'll find many suggestions of which car colours are a close match to colours on RAF/US aeroplanes et cetera

• Like 1

As noted above, while you'll find Tamiya and Mr Color rattle bombs with very specific colors, non-model brands will tend to be more generic colors or coincidental/close. Having written that, primer and other undercoats are the most consumed by volume, so you can at least save your cash for the important colors.

• Like 2

Haven't bought rattle cans in ages, but back in the day there were several types and not all of them were compatible. Imagine getting a brilliant paintjob only to ruin it when applying the varnish. Make sure you read the label and test on scraps before doing it on the model.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmwh548 said:

Make sure you read the label and test on scraps before doing it on the model.

To that point, I found a line of  neutral gray rattlecans. Oh, the tints & shades! Sadly, it just beaded up on my nicely primed model... Something of a mess to clean up...

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bmwh548 said:

. . . Make sure you read the label and test on scraps before doing it on the model.

On that; almost all car paints in the UK are acrylic. But the acrylic is the paint itself. The carrier can still be quite 'hot'

Spray in light coats, allow the carrier to 'flash off' then spray some more, build up the coverage and gloss in many coats

• Like 1