Boeing E-3D, 8 Sqn RAF Waddington 2015

I'm calling a finish to this one now as I think I have managed the best I can, so stopping before I spoil it.  This is the 1/72 Heller E-3, with Combat Decals markings for an E-3D in the special markings for the 100th Anniversary of 8 Sqn.   This kit has sat unloved in my loft for over 10 years (mainly because of its really poor Heller French AF decals), but I was inspired by the recent Combat Decals release to bring it down and make a start.

DSC_5839.JPG

The RAF-specific parts are those supplied as part of the Heller kit (along with the CFM-56 engines in my release) and the only corrections I have made were to add a fillet in the joint between wing tip and ESM pods.  As I suspected, taking completion photographs was "difficult" due to its size, but a sunny day here, a shiny garden table and a large paving stone  seem to have worked.  Rather depressingly, the wheels were already beginning to splay out of position by the end of this photo shoot.  Some solid props will be needed if they are to survive. 

DSC_5844.JPG

This is, I believe, the largest model I have ever made.  I still have no idea where I will keep it, but the entire wing assembly remains detachable, which helps.  For now though, its on display on a coffee table in my modelling room!

DSC_5840.JPG

I started this 3 weeks ago, with a detailed (if not entirely accurate) cockpit, none of which can now be seen:

IMG_20210127_120401.jpg

It is entirely brush painted, using Humbrol enamels, with an oil wash and W&N Acrylic matt varnish to finish.  Klear was used to bed the decals down. The Combat Decals are nicely printed but VERY difficult to remove from the VERY crowded sheet. :)

DSC_5842.JPG

My inner engines are nicely clear of the ground despite the wings only being clipped in place.

DSC_5848.JPG

Alternative background. I photoshopped the paving stone joints out of the picture:

DSC_5849.JPG

DSC_5853.JPG

DSC_5855.JPG

DSC_5856.JPG

...and that was February's lockdown build.  Pleased with that :)

Edited by gengriz
Spelling!
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 1

Love it!

A coffee table model, as opposed to a book :D

The CFM engined Awacs look far more modern than the original 707 design would make you believe...

Still the RAF convinced they'd not be worth keeping :(

3 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Awesome build.  😎

How many pots of Humbrol does it take to cover a beast like this?  😄

It took one whole pot for the fuselage (2-3 thinned coats) and a bit of another for the wings (2 coats). I did also use the first pot for a Sea Harrier at the same time. 

It also made a big dent in my bottle of Klear!

• Haha 1

A delightful build of a large and ungainly subject. I am impressed with your brush painting of a model that size. The decals also really set it off well too.  Great build, thanks for sharing.

Mark