Mr Frankenstein's Dog

A while back I did a 1/48 F-86A, using the slatted wings from Revell's F-86D kit and combining those with the fuselage and other bits from the Eduard F-86F. A lot of hacking and bashing later I had an F-86A. But I also was left over with an F-86D fuselage and a 6-3 wing, which is an annoying combination and also a bit wasteful. So the whole lot went into a box, soon to be forgotten. That is until this year, when out it all came, and after a bit of head-scratching, this is the outcome, photographed in this morning's mild frost. I'd wanted to do an 'in flight' F-86D for some time, so that's another tick in the box too:

005 (2)

The wings were back-dated to narrow-chord spec by cutting out the '6-3' wedge, gluing it all back together and then grafting it onto the F-86D centre section. Slats were then scribed to make it all look good. The aircraft is depicting a 93rd FIS F-86D-35, as flown by John Ruettgers, CO of the squadron in 1954:

001a

This scheme didn't last much beyond 1954, and the CO's bird was the only one to have the white infill on the lightning bolts. Decals are from Microscale sheet 48-955 and if you are going to model this aircraft, note that being a D-35, it had no drag 'chute. That's despite what Microscale tell you (and even though they depict the correct version on their decal placement guide!). The instructions do have a few errors (decals not required for this date etc):

But they do have some respectable references 😉

The only other thing I did was to convert the seat from "aaaargh!" to, "everything's cool" configuration. That's another risk of using a museum aircraft as your source of reference (Revell used the NMUSAF's F-86D in this case):

So here it is. The cruddy MDF stand will be replaced with something more tasteful by the way:

And just for info, this is where the other bits went:

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

That looks great! A perfect assimilation of the different parts - very well done. I like the 1950s jets, and particularly some nice scratch modifications.

• Like 1

Totally cool, and a wonderful Sabre!  :thumbsup:

Thinking about that MDF stand...it doesn't look bad, but perhaps would be enhanced by some paint.   Maybe a gloss black or even another shade of silver?  

Thanks for sharing your great model project with us.  You really nailed it!  :clap2:

• Like 1