Italian Thunderbolt

Beazer

50983661083_ec9694daa4_b.jpg

I changed up the interior colour quite a bit compared to my recent Mac.205 build.

I used IDF Grey Green.

I also used the Sbs interior kit but a few parts were flung into space but fortunately won’t really be seen.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, AaronKSJ said:

What's the kit interior like out of box? 

I've not built any WW2 Italian fighters and really should at at some point. 

Which markings are you doing? The middle?

They are quite intricate but also very delicate with lots of resin to trim off.  You have to be more careful than I was.  Definitely better than photoetch.

I intend on doing the middle version but I'm almost tempted to try the "fried egg" scheme or whatever its called although I may leave that for a Swedish fighter.

• Like 2

You caught me out with the title as this wasn't the subject I expected but nonetheless a worthwhile one :thumbsup:

On 2/27/2021 at 10:25 PM, Beazer said:

...I'm almost tempted to try the "fried egg" scheme or whatever its called although I may leave that for a Swedish fighter.

The 'Smoke Rings'? Or am I looking at the wrong option?

10 hours ago, Col. said:

You caught me out with the title as this wasn't the subject I expected but nonetheless a worthwhile one :thumbsup:

The 'Smoke Rings'? Or am I looking at the wrong option?

No, it’s the top scheme with the red-brown mottling in it.  I think that’s what the Italians called it or poached egg or something like that.

Folgore in Italian means Lightning.  So I figured it’s my second type so what comes after lightning...

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

So, this is 1/48 scale?

Chris

Pretty much everything I do is 1/48

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi,

I believe it is the "poached egg" mottle as I attempted last year on a 1/72 Revell Macchi MC 200.

DSC03289-crop

I think it needs to have a denser mottle but my hands were not up to it. The same probably applies to my smoke ring effort on the MC 202. For some reason I always seem to struggle to get my mottling looking random, particularly on small kits. It was a bit better on this

DSC03417-crop

which, being Africa based, would have qualified for this GB if I had not built it already!

Good luck with yours,

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

51044925351_97e7f835ea_b.jpg

Interior finished.  Lots of hassle getting the control panel to fit but I did it finally.

Next is to close up the fuselage but I need to get that seat right.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
51145248899_f4a25736c5_b.jpg

Little more progress.

Didn't realize we only have a month and a bit to go.  Now that I've finished my Aussie builds Ill be moving these Africa builds along.

• Like 3

51156920513_feabf0d161_b.jpg

51156685496_36335e59e7_b.jpg

I’m not certain I’ll keep that colour of green on the bottom but she’s ready for the primer next.  Just have to pick the right top colour.

• Like 3

Oh no.

I've discovered upon doing some painting tonight on the Folgore that I seem to have misplace/kitten tossed two pieces for the landing gear.

Specifically a square piece which I should be able to cut out of styrene and part of the inner landing gear cover.

Tough finding a kit at a decent price to replace the part and have no idea how to speak japanese to contact Hasegawa and Italeri's process seems convoluted.

Any suggestions?  All else failing I'll be able to whip something up and consider adding some battle damage to the undercarriage. 

• Sad 2

Looking great so far

Italeri have a UK contact centre, via their website. I got parts from them really easily years ago, free of charge, they were very helpful.

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

51161387510_96a381c4f9_b.jpg 51160277166_2c3f25289d_b.jpg

I emailed Italeri so hopefully replacement parts make it.  In the meantime I have made some parts that look the part.  Added white to the tips and prop.

Going to wait for the white to fully cure and mask it off and finish the lower fuselage and landing gear.

• Like 2

51173868683_01eb580111_b.jpg

Laid on the straight shot of Nocciola Chiaro (or USAF Brown in Vallejos range).  My previous Veltro was considerably lightened and this is definitely more factory fresh and closer to the Light Hazel applied to the Folgores.

Im concerned that I masked the white wingtips a bit too far inboard but once this is dry I’m gonna take a peak and hope for success.  It would involve touching up two colours.

Provided everything is acceptable I get to try my hand at freehand airbrushing the Verde Olivia Scuro (USAF Green, these are surprising close matches).  Now these are fairly large irregular blotches but does anyone have any special advice?  I presume thinning the paint more is required to spray close to the model.  My Krome has a 0.27 needle and I’m usually running 20 on the compressor.  

• Like 2

Your paintwork looks great - nice smooth coat.

For spraying the blotches I guess reducing the pressure will avoid splatter and run if you're thinning the paint more than usual. As in all things a series of experiments will provide the answer as well as practice before you commit to the subject.

51177565339_679241a1a5_b.jpg

Had a feeling so I pulled back the tape.  Yeah I overdid the white on one side.  Currently remedying that mistake.

Edited by Beazer
  • Like 2

51176776276_e679b31f9c_b.jpg

51176096802_c14a6db5a2_b.jpg

and voila.  12psi with some added thinner and flow improver.

I only had one half of the fuselage to go off of and none of the wings so this is mostly artistic creation.  
I need to touch up a little bit of the white on the fuselage but I can now move onto sealing up this and the weathering process.

• Like 4