1/72 HMNZS Waikato

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

G'day Alun, that ship's crest is a nice touch. Will you be doing the same for your 1/350 scale subs? 😁 (Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I'll get my coat. 🙂)

Regards, Jeff.

I thought I might have a go at hand painting those ...... 😄

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I love it when the post man visits 

tybUU36.jpg

I had day home from work today so got stuck in 

Name applied to the stern - note I also threaded the quarterdeck guard rails. 

KVNedXQ.jpg

Painted and fitted the .50 cals. Still needs to have guard rail lines fitted. 

oh3gjUi.jpg

and the painted and fitted the 965 air search radar. I purchased a 3d printed one rather than try to build the photo etched one I had and am very pleased with that decision, it is a thing of beauty and took ten minutes to wash and spray and fit.  (plus drying times) . You can also see the rattan fenders stacked on the ECP. Again quick wash, spray , ink wash and fitted in place.  

Q9GfknM.jpg

Edited by Alun Gallie
spelling
  • Like 7

G'day Alun, that large radar scanner (bedstead? 965 air search?) is a work of art in itself. I don't know a lot about this vintage of warship as you've probably gathered - what's the ECP please?

Regards, Jeff.

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

G'day Alun, that large radar scanner (bedstead? 965 air search?) is a work of art in itself. I don't know a lot about this vintage of warship as you've probably gathered - what's the ECP please?

Regards, Jeff.

Yes 965 - an alpha band air search radar.

ECP is emergency conning position - the small platform in front of the 965 mast with the compass binnacle - the ship could be conned from there if the bridge was out of action. Unlike modern warships the wheel and telegraphs where not on the bridge and conning commands where relaying from the Officer of the Watch (OOW)(or whoever 'had the ship' to the wheel house 3 decks below the bridge where the quartermaster and a helmsmen  were stationed. On normal sea watches the QM (Leading seaman or senior Able Seaman) would do 4 hrs down there 'supervising' (taking the wheel himself for the first 30 min) and sailors from the watch on deck (ABs and OSs) would rotate through as helmsmen in 30 min rotations, also rotating through Port and Stb lookouts (on the bridge wings) and lifebuoy sentry on the quarterdeck. When entering/leaving harbour the Chief Quarter Master CQM (a Petty Officer) would be on the wheel. Back then there was no TV screens or anything showing a view so the wheelhouse had to blindly follow the directions of the bridge and was all done over a intercom - all commands where repeated back. 

35 years later I could still make the initial report after having received permission to 'take the wheel' - "Bridge - Wheelhouse, LS Gallie, QM of the Middle Watch has the wheel, course to steer 180, 120 revolutions rung on, both engine telegraphs showing half ahead full" In turn the OOW would give you a brief on sea state, wind etc that might effect handling. 

Now they are on the bridge, have joysticks and dials and spends large chunks of time in auto pilot.

In reality whilst used for designed purpose occasionally in exercise most of time the ECP was the stowage for the rattan fenders.  

Sorry enough reminiscing 

• Like 1

I note pre orders for new 1/72 Wasp are being accepted by jadlamracingmodels.com  International boxing appears to include RNZAF markings.

11 hours ago, dcrfan said:

I note pre orders for new 1/72 Wasp are being accepted by jadlamracingmodels.com  International boxing appears to include RNZAF markings.

That's a nice model - I might wait til its actually out (I think over the years I have had 3 Wasps on preorder that have fallen through) but will probably get one to upgrade the 3d printed one. 

• Like 1

I have confirmed the new Wasp is available now direct from the manufacturer. Given it will be here within 2-3 weeks I am going to pack up the 3D printed one and wait for the kit instead. Technically it is a separate build to the frigate so maybe I will pop it over in the flying things build area. I did at one stage plan to build the Helo's I had controlled (Seaking, Seahawk, Wessex, Wasp, Lynx, Iroquois, Squirrel and fixed wing ac P3C and K, A4, F-18, F111, Nimrod) I have a few kits in stash already so might slowly chip away at those as well - I had always been put off by no Wasp as that was what I had most hours on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Personally, I see it as part of the total build……..

Rather think it belongs here

Rob

I agree with Rob.  

John

6 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Personally, I see it as part of the total build……..

Rather think it belongs here

Rob

Thirded !!!

Ship looks incredible sir, congratulations !!

Here it shall be then - although I am going to not let it delay 'finishing' the ship - still goal is to have on display stand by ANZAC day. Will then probably do a quick submarine if Wasp has not arrived then add Wasp when it does - but will keep this open until Wasp is built before doing final photo shoot for RFI. 

A bit more done today, the brass rod for the whip aerials arrived and I have finished making the starboard flight deck nets- just need to sew/lace that netting to frame. 

Also painted up a set of signal flags for her international call sign. This was normally flown from the stbd signal halyard on entering port but I am going to fly on the port one as that is the side of the ship that will be displayed. Photo below shows the flags before cutting them apart - they are not in order at present - anyone want to have a guess on her call sign (no googling) 

qgGerSr.jpg

• Like 3

Quick 30 min before work - wanted some jack staff crowns - found one 3d printed set but with postage etc was a bit pricey (gave you 40 crowns of various sizes and needed two) Tried 3D printing a couple of STLs but not designed to be that small and just wound up blobs. So this morning I grabbed a bit of 2.5 mm styrene tube and a sharp blade. Given the size I am quite happy with the effect for now. The ensign staff should have queens crown and jack staff RN Crown but representative is fine for me.

gV51y2I.jpg

Also trimmed and hung the signal flags - happy with spacing but due to weight have twisted a little - decided will just let glue completely dry before trying to maybe manipulate the halyard to twist them fore an aft.

zWRHHaS.jpg

Waikato's call sign was ZMPS  (all RNZN where ZM) - that was a radio call I made a few times to suspected illegal fishers etc - "This is ZMPS Warship Waikato to vessel on my port bow, blah blah blah NZ Fisheries protection zone etc etc - prepare to be boarded for inspection"

• Like 6

Like no real naval shipbuilding ever .... finished a few days early (technically not finished as a couple small pieces in post that need to be painted and fitted when they arrive and the Wasp to receive, build and paint. I will update when they are done and then photograph properly for the RFI thread. Also did another fly past video I will add later. 

6bjt9dc.jpg

• Like 8

So that's it Done finished 'finito  Alun from one type 12 to another, a remarkable build and what a fantastic result. I too awaiting the arrival of the Wasp but still had a go at fixing the old one  results soon 

congrats Alun  great model 

chris 

• Thanks 1