1/72 HMNZS Waikato

I have modelled on and off for probably the last 40 years, predominantly in 1/72 scale. Aircraft and vehicles mainly. During more recent years modelling has been limited to basic assembly and conversion work and scenery building for table top war-gaming. After a hiatus for a couple of years I have decided to get back into model making purely for the pleasure of the build. I did have a few helicopter kits I was going to tackle but wanted something to really motivate me. In a previous life I spent about 10 years as Radar Plot/Anti submarine aircraft controller rating in the RNZN, serving on 3 Leander class frigates and the research vessel HMNZS Tui. It has always been an intended 'one day' project to build my old ships. 

Never one to do things by half I decided to go big or go home and to tackle the first one HMNZS Waikato in 1/72 scale. The Mighty "Y" was not my first posting but I have fond memories of my time on board and decided to start with one of the two gun Leanders first. The other was HMNZS Canterbury. My third Leander was HMNZS Southland (ex HMS Dido) an Ikara Leander. 

y4mtUyAN0WfAQoNgRdFT_risjN4Enm1__p0y1gb_

I served on her in the late 80's and will aim the build around this time. When she still carried a whaler before the Rib was fitted.

I have been doing what research I can and building a library of photos of both her and when I can't find specifics at least detail references of other Leanders.

Stumbled across this picture this morning. I remember this photo being taken, it was for Navy News or something similar and idea was to show the different parts of ship that made up a crew of a Leander. I am not 100% positive (it was 30+ years ago) but if memory serves correctly I am one of the ratings in Dayglo wet weather gear on the focsle

spacer.png

• Like 22

I have been unable to find a set of plans of the Waikato (welcome any suggestions) so instead purchased a set of 1/72 plans of HMS Danae from Fleetscale in the UK.

HMS Danae (F47) was batch 2, built concurrently (slightly behind) HMNZS Waikato which was built for the RNZN so the theory was they would be fairly close in terms of 'as built' 

By the time I served on HMNZS Waikato she had under gone a few changes and I would need to adjust but thought it was at least a starting point.

spacer.png

Some obvious changes 

- removal of Limbo Mortars and covering of mortar well, including new rear hatch

- removal of VDS sonar well and change to stern

- removal of corvus launchers and replacement with triple torpedo tubes

- remove 978 radar and replace with 1006

I have ordered the hull and first lot of fittings (funnel, masts, turret, directors, breakwaters) etc from the UK and currently awaiting arrival.

Initial plan was to build as static display model but I am going to visit some 1/72 scale RC warships to consider if I go that route. Thinking at the moment, in typical RNZN fashion, is to be 'fitted for, but not with' 

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Always liked the look of the Leander class, will have to find a kit and make HMS Danae one of these days as my old man served on her. Don't think I'll be going for 1/72 tho, so I'll happily watch your build and see what happens! She's going to be a good old size! Best of Luck!

Geoff

• Like 1

Still waiting for shipment from UK with hull and some parts. Continuing to build library of photos, drawings etc .

However this little treat arrived in todays post so that will keep me busy devouring that for a couple of days. 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Still waiting on the postie, some 3d printed parts in transit and hopefully hull will ship this week. Been working on the layout for cable deck.

Managed to find an Admiralty Manual of Seamanship and has been good reminder of cable deck layout 

spacer.png

Ref Admiralty Manual Of Seamanship Pg 52

I have hawsepipes, bonnet covers, capstain /cable holder, bollards, brakes and naval pipes sorted.

I am just looking at cable and seeking some guidance from more experienced maritime builders

I have found several makers of studded scale cable but most is marketed as links per inch or Xmm links.

I am trying to estimate what would be suitable for 1/72 scale Leander. 

I was looking at at perhaps 5mm link length for anchor cable and 3 mm for the cable on blake/riding/blake bottles screws but not sure if that would be 'close enough' 

I have found a couple of bottles screws for the blake bottle screw slips that match length on plans.

spacer.png

Looking at this drawing it appears the slips cable may have only been oval link chain not studded but the only picture I could find of a Leander cable deck suggests studded (see circle) 

spacer.png

Thanks to Ex-FAAWAFU whose post I borrowed this image from - original providence unknown 

Also any good suggestions for deck clenches / eyebolts for the slips and the anchors strops ?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

So got home and unpacked

spacer.png

Fibreglass hull and running gear for RC plus a few cast parts and a couple of earlier pieces I got 3D printed. Seems a lot but then I lay them out realise how much scratch building this will involve as well, although there are still some pre-made parts I will get - boats, davits, 182 decoy, aft mast and radars 

spacer.png

Some bits and pieces for focastle - breakwaters, captstan/cable holder, capstan brake (1 to come), roller fairlead, naval pipes and hawse pipes - plus turret, director and bridge 

spacer.png

Funnel and Foremast, 3d printed Mk32 triple torpedo tubes and accommodation ladders alongs with some doors, fairleads and bollards. 

spacer.png

Seacat launcher and director 

spacer.png

I was initially going to build as a static model but have been convinced to go RC. so purchased some nice running gear. 

I better make the most of Easter getting some work done on MTB 234 so I can then think about tackling this one. 

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 11

• 2 months later...

Been a while between drinks on this one - I have slowly been accumulating parts and materials and will soon be ready to start on hull.

But I made a small start today - and I do mean small 

While waiting for some other components and materials to arrive to get started on hull/superstructure I could not resist the urge to start something so decided to do some 'normal modelling on some of the sub assemblies - foremast, main mast, funnel, turret etc. 

I am building Waikato circa 1988. By this time she had had her navigation radar replaced with 1006 on a new sponson off the foremast replacing the earlier shaped 978 sponson. This one was a fairly flat platform, extending approx 2/3 across front of foremast with ladder access and then out on approx 45 degree angle to a rounded end. 

One of the best photos I could find of this sponson was us leaving Adelaide in October 1988 during the Australian bicentenary.

spacer.png

I figured I would make out of 1mm styrene (with edge bracing etc from strip) but it would be good to make a template to test size/fit/look.
I took as many comparison measurements as I could from blow up of above photo and made a cardboard template. A couple of adjustments and I am fairly happy. 

spacer.png

Tried to get one from similar angle to original photo

spacer.png

If anyone has any photos showing detail of this type of foremast sponson on any leaders I would love to have a look. 

• Like 4

Did a little bit more of mock up this morning. 

GVhYebL.jpg?1

Added some of yardarm structure from plastic rod to test placement and how it fit with new features. This will be done out of soldered brass rod/tube when I do properly. A bit of sag because only using cardboard and bluetack but happy with proof of concept. 

One feature of a refit in the mid 80s was the round white canister item on a small sponson just below the surveillance radar platform (anyone know what it is ?)  I needed to know where the yardarms where to work out the positioning of this sponson. I am not sure what this item is - it also appears on HMNZS Canterbury post 1988-89 refit but in a different position further up mast. 

9o11Egx.jpg?2
Waikato

lnGbH2p.jpg?1
Canterbury

Edited by Alun Gallie
  • Like 4

Only just spotted this but will follow with interest.  I served in 2 Leanders and thoroughly enjoyed my time on board (well, right up to the point that HMCS PRESERVEUR sliced open PENELOPE's port side while I was still in my bunk!)

With regards to your comment about cable size, is it not specified in BR67?  I'm sure it is in at least one of the editions that I have.  I can have a look if you can't find it.

Are you sure that those 2 aerials in the photos of WAIKATO and CANTERBURY are the same aerial?  I thought that the one in WAIKATO was a lozenge shaped VHF radio aerial (AJL) - details here: https://www.rnradioandradar.co.uk/communications/CommsColLeft/Aerials/pdfs/AJL.pdf.  The one in CANTERBURY looks more like an all round wide band ESM receiver.

So on Wednesday evening I picked up my second Leander hull. This is an older APS hull made here in Australia and was a semi kit for the Cherry B (HMS Charybdis) a Exocet/Seawolf Leander.  I got it for a price I could just not say no to and as I ultimately want to build all three Leander's I served on snapped it up. 

It has running gear fitted and while initially thought one rudder was missing located it under the motor mounting plate so all good.

I have decided as this give me a little kick start I will complete this hull as Waikato and then do my Fleetscale one as Southland. 

ZPhfrSU.jpg?1

The deck supports and deck have been fitted and the bilge keels. There is some repairs needed and I will give a good clean up and then a coat of resin to seal. It had a few existing fittings which I will remove for now. It had some nice check plate plastic card on the focsle slope but it was cut for the modified breakwaters fitted to the Seawolf variants. I have found a source for more checker plate so I may replace.  

snwd2d1.jpg?1

and I will probably also increase the height of the superstructure bulwarks. These are for the superstructure to fit over so can be removed to access RC. Can see the damage to the bilge keel here. 

V6eLohG.jpg?2

Biggest thing I have to address is the cut out the CherryB had an stern quarter for her zodiac/182 davit. This will need to be patched and filled. Open to any advice from anyone that has played with fibre glass hulls. 

rq8IfAE.jpg?1

• Like 7

@Chewbacca I have a few more photos and am fairly confident the two pieces of kit are the same or very similar. Both appear to have been fitted during late 1980s upgrades (before 88) and I believe they are 360 degree ESM receivers. Have a couple of ex-shipmates that were Gollies so will ask them and see if they can throw any light on it. 

Spent a bit of time on weekend cleaning the hull up.

I removed some of the deck and the supporting beams and cleaned up the inside surfaces to remove old glue.

spacer.png

My thought then was to use styrene on the inside surface of the hull to make a backing. I was going to glue in place and put a coat of resin/glass over it from inside. Then maybe use an addition piece of styrene to fill and then use glass fibre filler and body filler to fill gaps and sand.

spacer.png

I have had it suggested to frame up on the outer side instead and then apply mold release, gel coat and fiberglass but not having worked with mold release and gel coat before that is a little more intimidating. 

• Like 2