Revell 1/32 Kenworth Aerodyne - WiP

As my Ferrari build draws to a close I'm going to make a start on this next.  Ideally, I have my eye on some 1/24 scale truck, but this was cheap on the Jadlam website last year so I thought why not.  I won't be doing it red, but will try and use the white stripe decals for the cab most likely.

F9DAIDk.jpg

• Like 2

• HoolioPaulio changed the title to Revell 1/32 Kenworth Aerodyne - WiP

Not really much to tell at the moment.  I'm going to take this one steady and have fun, not focus too much on accuracy.  Its a very basic kit anyway (I didn't expect any more for the money TBH), and I'd rather get my next truck in 1/24 to match my car scale.  I mean, that's one hell of a runner connected to the chassis

kbldAWC.jpg

I'm going to build it as OOB as possible, not even stripping chrome off some of the parts to re-paint, just a blast with MicroSatin to dull the plasticy shine a little, as I have done with the wheels.  But I am going to blank off the bottom of that box sticking out to the side with some plasticard before painting, and get rid of as many seam lines as I can get to.  And yeah, basic, the tyres are hard plastic with no back 😐

2uqEP66.jpg

• Like 2

That was originally a Monogram Snap-Tite kit. I had a couple of the others (KW Aerodyne conventional and Chevy Bison) when they were first out in the late '70s - they were aimed at kids, so somewhat simplified.   IIRC, the AMT snap kits were a bit better, with more accurate wheels & tyres, and a fifth wheel with a hole for the kingpin instead of the giant peg the Monogram kits have.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've made some real progress on getting a better gloss finish for my automotive builds, within my limited parameters of using acrylics.  I airbrushed the Pledge Revive It floor gloss I used for dipping the windows on the Ferrari

9irLY6P.jpg

Looked pretty good already compared to my previous efforts with the Microscale MicroGloss which didn't like being sanded/polished, but it still felt a bit rough.  However this is much more hard wearing I imagine, as its designed for floors.  So I gave it a buff with the the Micromesh pads that ruined the bonnet on the Ferrari when I tried to polish it

vZmN6D6.jpg

This left it very smooth to the touch, so then it got a second coat

sfKMqtu.jpg

Its still nowhere near as good as most of the finishes I see on here, but they are all lacquers I believe, so I'm happy enough with this from acrylic based gloss for now.

Moving back to the Kenworth, the chassis is finished

7daPJbY.jpg

8fkbpsR.jpg

And the wheels are on.  Still need to paint the hubs, didn't bother before hand as the paint would probably get scraped off and make the wheels harder to get on.

Wfn5XkO.jpg

• Like 1

So much for a relaxed OOB build to chill out with.  I decided I didn't want the fuel tanks chrome, and previous Revell chrome stripped in less than 5 minutes.  The Kenworth however, this is the result of 2 days in bleach 😐 

ztwHUHF.jpg

And another box component has its open bottom closed off

qdZXPs4.jpg

And a poor fitting join filled and sanded

YN1ut8o.jpg

Will clean it up and give it a coat of primer to see what else needs attention, as it looks a bit ropey in the macro photo...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...