Airfix new 1/35 Cromwell Tanks

AntPhillips

13 hours ago, nheather said:

People starving in the world is again irrelevant.  Yes it is sad, no one is denying that, but this is about the hobby, whether you buy the Airfix or the Tamiya Cromwell is not going to change world poverty.  Unless you are suggesting we should stop making models altogether and give all the money we would have spent to charity.

You have entirely misinterpreted my reason for posting here. My argument is that some people have genuine reasons to be concerned about the state of the world. Other people will generate numerous postings about the (perceived) problems with a new model. I'll put this bluntly... one subject is worthy of adult consideration and the other seems virtually meritless and trivial, by comparison. As you stated yourself, peoples' model-buying habits will never have any effect on the state of the global economy, either good or bad.

No kit has ever been 100% accurate and probably never will be.

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Isn't that exactly how they have done it? I thought the engine deck was a separate part in this Airfix kit? Front section, Back section, and it all seems to sit over a strange layer part underneath?

And I still don't understand why there are 2 kits?, If both boxes contain the same parts? What is this witchcraft and trickery?

Matt

Yes you're right Matt, the engine deck is an overlay part that sits on top of the track guard piece on  Sprue A:

20210305_194455

The engine deck and forward upper hull are on sprue B:

20210305_194427

Hence my supposition that the mystery Sprue C is in fact a late engine deck and an alternative forward upper hull with a second side opening hatch.

Of course I could be wrong but fingers crossed 🤞 I'm not.

And apologies for repeating the photos but they're the easiest way to illustrate where I'm coming from.

Ant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, AntPhillips said:

Hence my supposition that the mystery Sprue C is in fact a late engine deck and an alternative forward upper hull with a second side opening hatch.

Thank you Ant, pictures are very helpful yes, and I think your supposition that the mystery sprue C will be a new engine deck and a front section with the second side opening hatch is a very good bet indeed to be honest.

Matt

13 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Isn't that exactly how they have done it? I thought the engine deck was a separate part in this Airfix kit? Front section, Back section, and it all seems to sit over a strange layer part underneath?

And I still don't understand why there are 2 kits?, If both boxes contain the same parts? What is this witchcraft and trickery?

Matt

Sadly Matt, that's consequence of putting gob into drive, before engaging brain! You're right. The engine deck is a separate item. The hull that I used in the photo was already partially assembled, and I didn't check the instructions. But the point that I was making remains the same, even more so. The deck is moulded separately, so they could quite easily have produced two decks.

But for your second question, I have no idea.

John. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Matt

Isn’t that quite common with Airfix though.

For example, I have a 1:48 tropical Hurricane.  But I note it also has the parts to build a standard Hurricane or a Sea Hurricane each of which have been available as separate kits.  The only difference between all three is the decals.

They could have included decals for all three but I guess that is the extra cost and would mean that they would have less kits in their catalogue and release schedules.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nheather said:

Isn’t that quite common with Airfix though.

For example, I have a 1:48 tropical Hurricane.  But I note it also has the parts to build a standard Hurricane or a Sea Hurricane each of which have been available as separate kits.  The only difference between all three is the decals.

They could have included decals for all three but I guess that is the extra cost and would mean that they would have less kits in their catalogue and release schedules.

Cheers,

Nigel

Very true, especially with Phantoms, they have three on the market, all of them basically the same aircraft, when the variations could have been in one box, and the decals for the Ark Royal version were laughable !

Is this thing still rolling along on it's inaccurate wheel's? Slap a load of mud on or have it fording a river.Yes Airfix have done themselves no

favours but every single manufacturer have their howler's no one is exempt except Starfix I won't have a word said against them,well OK

there may be the odd shape issue here and there but other than that they are accurate,well when I say accurate....................

• Like 4

2 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Is this thing still rolling along on it's inaccurate wheel's? Slap a load of mud on or have it fording a river.Yes Airfix have done themselves no

favours but every single manufacturer have their howler's no one is exempt except Starfix I won't have a word said against them,well OK

there may be the odd shape issue here and there but other than that they are accurate,well when I say accurate....................

The point is that the Airfix Cromwell is not the only option.  They decided to choose a model that was already pretty well covered - and in my opinion, if you are going to do that you must do one of two things

• Produce a model that is cheaper than what is currently available
  • Or produce a model that is better than what is currently available

Airfix have not managed either of those.

If they had produced something that was Hobson's Choice, let's say they had done a Matilda I and it had faults.  I wouldn't be moaning, I would be rushing to buy it because it would be the only option.

But with the Cromwell they have attacked a difficult place.  There is already a Tamiya Cromwell, which despite being nearly 25 years old is pretty good.  And being one of Tamiya's older models is it priced competitively.  So Airfix have produced a model that is around the same price and no better (you might say it is worse) than the Tamiya offering.

So yes if it were a Convenanter with the wrong number of wheel bolts I doubt you would have all these pages, people would be queuing up to buy it.  But as it is a Cromwell, why bother, just buy the Tamiya instead.

And that, in my opinion, is the issue.  Airfix have decided to go toe to toe with Tamiya rather than a gap in the market and have failed to produce a winner.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

You have entirely misinterpreted my reason for posting here. My argument is that some people have genuine reasons to be concerned about the state of the world. Other people will generate numerous postings about the (perceived) problems with a new model. I'll put this bluntly... one subject is worthy of adult consideration and the other seems virtually meritless and trivial, by comparison. As you stated yourself, peoples' model-buying habits will never have any effect on the state of the global economy, either good or bad.

No kit has ever been 100% accurate and probably never will be.

Chris.  

People can take their genuine concerns about the state of the world somewhere else. We’re here to talk about models, not politics. White knighting aside, the Airfix Cromwell is not better than a 20+ year old kit, nor is it cheaper. That is a highly valid point to be discussed on a hobby forum. 

• Like 3

Poor old Airfix (and others..). Once upon a time they could churn out something that looked roughly right if you squinted in a darkened room. Check out my latest in RFI. 

I know, I know.. different world. 😄

• Like 1

I came to this tread to read other peoples' varied opinions of the AIRFIX 1/35 CROMWELL TANKS, not to read childish sniping about the number of exclamation marks in posts, not to read intolerant views of other modellers' motivations for participating in this hobby and certainly not to have it implied that there are better or more worthy things to concern myself with - in a thread about AIRFIX 1/35 CROMWELL TANKS. 

For those of you who have taken the time to share your opinions and photographs of this kit and the Tamiya one, and your experiences of them both, thank you; you have helped me make an informed decision. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, IanC said:

Poor old Airfix (and others..). Once upon a time they could churn out something that looked roughly right if you squinted in a darkened room. Check out my latest in RFI. 

I know, I know.. different world. 😄

Nail on head, Airfix are in a very competitive market, there are better manufacturers out there, and yes they make mistakes too, but they don't don't send thousands on YT video's and marketing telling us how great they are, and then disappear when a glaring mistake is found.

• Like 1

Maybe time this thread was put out to pasture I think all the bases have been covered,all manufacturer's make mistakes we all agree on that,

Airfix dropped the ball on this kit(let's wait to see if a second run has correction's)we all agree on that,buy it if you can live with it give it a miss

if you can't and go Tamiya I'm sure the kit will be reviewed asap here on BM for a full view of the sprue's.

Oh and if you're an AM manufacturer get some replacement wheel sets out at a sensible price you might make a bob or two!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've read this thread with interest since I pre-ordered a Mk. VI purely for the decals. I've followed some awe inspiring builds on BM from knowledgeable and skillful modellers who have gone to town on kits because THAT unit on THIS day used a vehicle from THAT factory which means it had exactly THESE details but that isn't me. I'm disappointed Airfix have made some basic errors but they won't stop me building the kit and enjoying it. It also won't stop me putting it on the display shelf when it's done as only me and the cats will see it. I suppose you could say that makes me part of the problem as I'm happy to take what I'm given and work with it. Perhaps you're right. 

I'm rambling now. One final thought though. Academy made this kit for Airfix and they have history when it comes to multiple marks. I wonder how many different versions we'll see in Academy boxes over the next few years, and what will be on sprue C when they appaear?

Andy

BM Rambler par excellence 

• Like 3

Just had a look on Hannant's site and they are pitching the Tamiya and Airfix Cromwells at £29.99. What a coincidence! They do have the Airfix Mk.lV on offer though for £26.99.

John.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Just had a look on Hannant's site and they are pitching the Tamiya and Airfix Cromwells at £29.99. What a coincidence! They do have the Airfix Mk.lV on offer though for £26.99.

John.

To be fair Airfix themselves, plus Wonderland, Jumblies and Jadlam are all pitching it at £29.99 too, and six other 1/35 Airfix kits are the same price. Hannants look to be giving their standard 10% discount on pre-orders for the Mk. IV as they don't have stock yet.

Can't remember what I paid for mine, but it was from Jadlam as although their prices often seem to come from a random number generator, they do free postage which makes a difference when their price is in line with others.

Andy

• Like 2