Airfix new 1/35 Cromwell Tanks

AntPhillips

I received today 2 of the brand new Airfix 1/35 Cromwell Tanks that I preorder way back when they were first announced, they've released 2 kits a Mk.IV and a Mk.VI,  when these were originally announced and the initial CAD images were shown there was a lot of interest as not only would it be Airfix's first true foray into 1/35 but they seemed to indicate that the Mk.VI kit would include a type F engine deck and the sideways opening drivers hatch. 

Somewhat disappointingly to some when photographs appeared a month or so back showing built up examples it was noticed that neither kit seemed to include the options shown in the CAD renders and a couple of errors were noticed namely 6 wheel bolts instead of the originals 8 and a lack of bolt heads around the pistol port.

Having given both kits the once over this evening I can confirm that the plastic is the same in both boxes, not as bad as it sounds, as Airfix have simply included parts for both options, it's just the instructions and decal sheet that differ between boxes.

There's a lot of plastic, and each box is probably twice the size of the Tamiya Cromwell box.

The moulding does look sharp, and there is the option of injection moulded link and length tracks or rubber band style tracks too, although in both my kits these were just bundled in and were twisted, I've now laid them out flat in the box (yes it's that big) and I'm sure they'll straighten out ok in time.

Both kits have the same engine deck and drivers hatch arrangement and its the same arrangement as the Tamiya kit. Although as they are provided on separate sprues, Airfix could yet provide other options in future releases.

And as mentioned above the wheels do only have 6 nuts, but nevertheless on the whole I'd say there is more positive than negative, but Airfix have missed an opportunity to offer something different, but as this is actually their first attempt at 1/35 I think it's a good effort, it's just so annoying that it could have been very good with just a little more forethought.

Hopefully the F deck and alternative drivers hatch will appear in a future release.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

My Cromwell IV and Cromwell VI arrived today from Jadlam (sharp price and quick delivery) and printed on the side of the box is "Made in Korea". I suspect that Academy have designed, tooled and moulded these for Airfix, especially going by the sand coloured plastic. Unless anybody knows different?

• Like 3

On 01/03/2021 at 18:20, magman2 said:

Airfix what a waste of time!!!

In this day and age they can’t get the wheels right, it’s just wrong to release 

this kit.

Just don’t buy it, unless they correct this problem.

Whilst the designers (Aifix/Academy) may have made errors with wheels similar could be said of any kit manufacturer past or present, as an example Rye Field Models made a fundametal error with the barrell length in one of their early Tiger I's whilst others such as Trumpeter have earned a reputation for errors.

Would you extend the 'dont buy it' to products from from these companies as well.

If we were to follow the advice* none of us would have a stash and we wouldn't have the hobby.

As the OP states there are more positives than negatives to these kits I'll make my own mind up as to purchasing or staying with the older Tamiya kit which, due to its age, probably has more issues.

* it's phrased more of an instruction than advice.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Circloy said:

As the OP states there are more positives than negatives to these kits I'll make my own mind up as to purchasing or staying with the older Tamiya kit which, due to its age, probably has more issues.

Fear not. The Tamiya Cromwell is a real gem and pretty accurate, despite its age. I regard it as one of their best AFVs. It's even got decent enough rubber band tracks, which I like. 

The Airfix one looks interesting though. And at least it's not a panzer!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, IanC said:

Fear not. The Tamiya Cromwell is a real gem and pretty accurate, despite its age. I regard it as one of their best AFVs

Plus Tamiya can at least count to eight ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

13 hours ago, Circloy said:

Whilst the designers (Aifix/Academy) may have made errors with wheels similar could be said of any kit manufacturer past or present, as an example Rye Field Models made a fundametal error with the barrell length in one of their early Tiger I's whilst others such as Trumpeter have earned a reputation for errors.

Would you extend the 'dont buy it' to products from from these companies as well.

If we were to follow the advice* none of us would have a stash and we wouldn't have the hobby.

* it's phrased more of an instruction than advice.

Quite reasoned and to the point unlike other comments.

Thx

• Like 6

Yes but this was heralded, as  the Airfix big new entry into 1/35.

It should have been checked over!!!! And to say xyz models got this and that wrong, is not up for discussion here  the subject is New Airfix  1/35 Cromwell Kit.

• Like 1

I think it is a fundimental basic error about the six bolt wheels that has been missed by Airfix/Academy. Its a shame that a different hull wasn`t provided by Airfix that is different from Tamiya`s hull. Its all a bit disappointing really......

Not sure if I`ll splash out on one now.....

• Like 1

Before I part with any money for one of these, I'll wait to read an in depth review, with photos of any errors. So far, what I've read is that there is an issue with the wheels, and it doesn't have the side opening hatch on the RHS. For me, the wheels is the biggest problem, as it will require outlay for a new set of resin AM wheels (more money). The side hatch is disappointing, but that problem exists with the Tamiya offering, and can be overcome with a little bit of scratch building. @AntPhillips Have they made the same mistake that Tamiya made with the engine deck, ie; is it an A/B/C deck, or is it the D deck?

For now, the two Tamiya Cromwells that I have in the stash will suffice. One last thing. How much were they charging for them?

John.

• Like 4

I'm surprised if it's Academy who tooled these if they got it so wrong on the wheels. I've just built their new Panzer III and its a real gem, as is their Panzer IV H (apart from the tracts. The link and length in the PIII kit is much better than the vinyl tracks in the PIV). 

It may be that there are better references for German tank but the number of bolts on the wheels is hardly an  obscure detail or a carry-over from a different version. 

Either way it's a disappointment. I was looking forward to this kit and I like to support Airfix but I can't see myself buying an inferior kit to the lovely Tamiya one for the same (or more) money. If they do introduce an F hull then maybe.

Stuart

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Before I part with any money for one of these, I'll wait to read an in depth review, with photos of any errors. So far, what I've read is that there is an issue with the wheels, and it doesn't have the side opening hatch on the RHS. For me, the wheels is the biggest problem, as it will require outlay for a new set of resin AM wheels (more money). The side hatch is disappointing, but that problem exists with the Tamiya offering, and can be overcome with a little bit of scratch building. @AntPhillips Have they made the same mistake that Tamiya made with the engine deck, ie; is it an A/B/C deck, or is it the D deck?

For now, the two Tamiya Cromwells that I have in the stash will suffice. One last thing. How much were they charging for them?

John.

2 hours ago, Stuart Wilson said:

I'm surprised if it's Academy who tooled these if they got it so wrong on the wheels. I've just built their new Panzer III and its a real gem, as is their Panzer IV H (apart from the tracts. The link and length in the PIII kit is much better than the vinyl tracks in the PIV). 

It may be that there are better references for German tank but the number of bolts on the wheels is hardly an  obscure detail or a carry-over from a different version. 

Either way it's a disappointment. I was looking forward to this kit and I like to support Airfix but I can't see myself buying an inferior kit to the lovely Tamiya one for the same (or more) money. If they do introduce an F hull then maybe.

Stuart

Hi John / Stuart,

The kits have some good and fine detail included, but the 6 bolt wheels are a big letdown, and the lack of bolt heads on the pistol port, although to be fair they were wrong on the original renders released over 12 months ago, but nobody noticed it then 🧐

I'm no Cromwell expert but I've read the engine deck is apparently a C/D layout, I will post some specific pics later.

The plastic is identical in both kits, and one thing that is apparent is that neither kit has a Sprue C, and as Sprue B is the upper hull parts with C/D engine deck and split drivers hatch area parts, I'm hoping that Sprue C has the F engine deck and side opening drivers hatch and will feature in a future release, as there are some other parts that are marked as not for use, including a second 75mm barrel with a slightly different muzzle brake design, and a late turret front with angled bottom on open area, a third mantlet type and also the curved tow rope brackets for the front hull, as used on later hull types.

20210304_190926

20210304_190850

20210301_200229

The quality of moulding is excellent with some finely moulded parts:

20210301_200335 20210301_200305

I preordered the kits with Airfix, and paid £29.99 each plus £4.15 each postage (even though they actually packed them together), I have seen them available online at prices well below this e.g. £26.99 incl postage from Tiger Hobbies.

On the whole they are good kits, just a shame about those wheels, as once you've seen it you can't unsee it.

Happy modelling

Ant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Some detail shots, pistol ports without bolt heads:

20210305_194720

Two types of cupola:

20210305_194747

Those wheels:

20210305_194917

Sprocket details:

20210305_194937

Link and length tracks:

20210305_195148

and details front:

20210305_195212

and back:

20210305_195218

Rubber band tracks:

20210305_195320

Hope these and the earlier pics help to get a feel for what's in the box.

Ant

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for taking the trouble to post these pics Ant. I'm pleased Airfix supply rubber band tracks as well as fiddly links. That's always a boon in my book. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fatfingers said:

Will probably get one of the MkVI's as i can live with the fact there are only 6 wheel nuts and not 8.

TBH, if it bothers a modeller that much, just snik them off with a micro-chisel, mark out the correct position on each wheel (tedious, I know), and put either resin or PE nuts in place.  It's a bit of a dull job, but it's doable :)  Or, make one and cast up a bunch if you've got the equipment.  Or, just wait until one of our 3D Gurus comes along with a freshly SLA printed replacement.  All good options, and a lot more productive than just having a paddy and calling it unbuildable :shrug:

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, Mike said:

TBH, if it bothers a modeller that much, just snik them off with a micro-chisel, mark out the correct position on each wheel (tedious, I know), and put either resin or PE nuts in place.  It's a bit of a dull job, but it's doable :)  Or, make one and cast up a bunch if you've got the equipment.  Or, just wait until one of our 3D Gurus comes along with a freshly SLA printed replacement.  All good options, and a lot more productive than just having a paddy and calling it unbuildable :shrug:

@Mike finding the head of the nail with a hammer.

Whilst it's probably frustrating that Messers Airfix and their partners have missed a couple of fairly obvious details most modellers who have the knowledge to spot them will also have the skills and tools to hand to correct them and then take some satisfacton that they have added some additional guilding to their finished kit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Correct me if I am wrong but do the kit instructions tell you to paint your Cromwell with Humbrol 159 khaki drab.?  If so this is incorrect, these tanks were paintedwith SCC.15 Olive Drab (British colour) which is much darker green.  The nearest OOT is Humbrol 253 which is actually a little light.  A touch of yellow will correct this.

• Thanks 3

It would seem that Airfix have gone down the same road as Tamiya and included an A/B/C deck. I just wonder if they've also made the other mistake that Tamiya made and included decals for a tank with a D deck.

Whilst I wouldn't slay Airfix for the mistakes that they have made (there's no such animal as a perfect kit), it does make me ask why they've made those mistakes, when the Tamiya one has been around for many years and the mistakes that they made are well known. To me, Airfix don't appear to have done anything to make me choose their product over the Tamiya one. When it was initially announced, and they said that they would be doing a Mk.Vl as well, I, along with many, thought that their's would have the edge over the Tamiya product, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

John.

• Like 4