Tornado Warning! 1/32 Tornado EF3 Conversion *FINISHED!*

Alan P

7 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Wow - I've not checked in for a while and I'm glad I stopped by :)

Lots of fantastic progress here - the cockpit and pilots look splendid and although the nose and inserts appear to have put up a fight, it does look as if the worst is behind you now. 

Great modelling skills on display here!

Tom

Thank you Tom, coming from one of my modelling heroes that means a lot!

7 hours ago, Greg B said:

Lots of work there mate, starting to look like an F.3. 

Thanks Greg, I reckon I've nailed the shape, Hope I can live up to it on the finish!

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Definitely looking like an F-3. The fuselage looks nice and straight despite the number of inserts, I’m sure I would end up with a banana shape!

Cheers John, no surprises to be honest, it lines up pretty well on its own.

• Like 1

Some great modelling you have done there Alan, cockpits look good so far.

Have you thought of shoulder patches for the pilots ?

Regards

Robert

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great to see all the hard work out the way and also to see how it has paid off too.  Cracking work Alan .

Chris

Yeah, exactly what Chris said, excellent work there Alan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi again, been away from this for a while due to work but managed to get the airframe assembled properly:

tn_Tornado F3 (75) tn_Tornado F3 (76)

LOTS of puttying required - Milliput around the resin plugs etc, Squadron Grey for the many gaps and uneven seams around the gear doors, wings and fuselage. I forgot what a challenging kit this was even without the conversion involved!

tn_Tornado F3 (77)

Certainly happy with the look of the thing now.

tn_Tornado F3 (79)

The wing glove RWR fairings were the worst fitting parts, the rest wasn't too bad.

tn_Tornado F3 (80)

It's got a great look, shaping up to be a good build!

While waiting for the milliput to cure, I threw this Revell/Italeri Mirage together and it's a really nice kit!

Tornado (80)

Taped the wing seams to save on more puttying, but most of it fit together really well.

Tornado (81)

The details OOB are brilliant. The Revell boxing is great value at about £50.

I must admit a shameful fact - I bought the entire Mirage kit just for the PHIMAT pod for the F3, and that's the real reason I'm building the Mirage side-by-side. Might as well put the shame to some creative use :lol:

All the best,

Alan

• Like 8

Back again on this, just realised there's a lot more work to do...

On 3/22/2021 at 6:56 PM, Robert said:

Have you thought of shoulder patches for the pilots ?

Haven't forgotten this, just trying to work out what patches they'd have had back in 2003-04 - the 11F right shoulder patch might have been the teardrop-shaped one rather than the round one. In addition they'd have had the post-Granby British flag so it's just what would have gone on the left shoulder patch - any ideas?

tn_Tornado F3 (84)

Finished off the cockpits (almost) in preparation for fitting the canopies.

tn_Tornado F3 (85) tn_Tornado F3 (86)

Really proud of the HUD, this was the third attempt!

tn_Tornado F3 (87)

Trying to get it all to fit was a real headache but it finally all worked and will just about fit under the forward canopy.

The forward canopy was tinted and fitted after some doctoring of the glareshield:

tn_Tornado F3 (88)

The little particles have reflected the flash, it's not that speckly in real light!

tn_Tornado F3 (90)

I'm not adding anymore details to the cockpit now, you can see the bulk of it through the fitted canopy, but any more would just be overkill. I'll save the rest for the Italeri GR4 I've got lined up for later in the year!

Alan

• Like 10

Meanwhile the Mirage just got its all-over coat of Alclad Gloss Black base, so while that was drying I started another project!

tn_Tornado F3 (92)

The beginnings of a Revell Spitfire IXc,  this will be an OOB speedbuild which I'm trying to finish over Easter.

Alan

• Like 5

• Alan P changed the title to Tornado Warning! 1/32 Tornado EF3 Conversion with ALARMs

This is looking fantastic - definitely going to invest in the resin cockpit for mine.

Sadly my conversion set arrived without the wing glove pieces so I'll have to scratch build my own. I think I too will be fixing the wings in position on mine as it is a very flimsy structure and I have no doubt that making the wings a part of that structure will help immensely.

Cheers,

WV908

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice indeed Alan, the Tornado looks fab and a Spitfire too, I do love a Spitfire fella.  Got a couple of the Revell Spits in the stash too, one OOB and one converted to a MkXIV.

Great work 

Chris 

Thanks Chris, how did you go about the Mk.XIV Spit conversion?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Thanks Chris, how did you go about the Mk.XIV Spit conversion?

I haven't done it yet, but have bought the AA productions MK14 conversion, also have their Seafire 47 conversion for the Marchbox Spitfire 22/24 too, I will get around to them one day!!!

Chris

• Like 1

Well, this hasn't moved very far as I've become sidetracked by the two incidental builds I've been doing while putty was drying, etc!

So here's an update on the two builds you didn't come here to see :lol:

tn_Tornado F3 (97)

The Spit IXc just falls together - little filler required along the top seam on the nose cowl and spine just behind the cockpit, and the inevitable wing root seams. This should definitely be finished by Monday or Tuesday.

The Mirage has gone pretty well too:

tn_Tornado F3 (93) tn_Tornado F3 (94)

Alclad Polished Aluminium over their Gloss Black Base - I painted the base and left it in the airing cupboard for over 24 hours and it cured okay - had some bad experiences wit it in the past but fifth time lucky :lol:

tn_Tornado F3 (98)

Painted Revell enamels for the underside wing tips and Mr Surfacer 1500 White for the radar under the chin. Sealed it all in with AK Gauzy Intermediate gloss.

tn_Tornado F3 (99)

Kit decals were excellent. Used MicroSet/Sol and no complaints at all.

tn_Tornado F3 (100)

Very attractive two-sided special scheme. Particularly chuffed I got the black outline to exactly match the 3-XT decals :smartass:

tn_Tornado F3 (101)

Even my teenage daughter thought this was 'cool'

Will be picking up the Revell/Special Hobby Tempest once the Mirage is finished, but the EF3 is still the main event!

Alan

• Like 13

15 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow that finish is amazing Alan, great work.

Chris

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Splendid Mirage here! Hope to see more photos soon!

Thanks to you both, it will be in RFI soon 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyway, back to the build...

tn_Tornado F3 (102)

Started to add the missile rack details to the underside.

tn_Tornado F3 (103)

This assembly is from the old Flightpath set for the Revell Tornado F2. Vintage product!

tn_Tornado F3 (104)

I'm working without instructions, but I think I figured it out 🤔

Next came the wing fold seals:

Tornado (104) Tornado (108)

These are made from the Flightpath PE seals covered with Tamiya tape to make them look more 'rubbery'.

Added some more detail underneath:

tn_Tornado F3 (106)

Rescribed all the lost detail from the conversion assembly and also added the panel lines which Revell decided not to incorporate in the mould for some reason 🤔

tn_Tornado F3 (107)

Also made an arrestor hook (not included in the kit for some other reason)

tn_Tornado F3 (108)

Finally added the scoop intake on the left underside, and the nose gear doors are glued in place now. 

Still a lot of work left to do, I'd forgotten how much work this kit requires to bring it up to standard. Looking forward to the Italeri kit later in the year. So many projects!

I have some leave coming up soon, hope to finish this then.

Cheers,

Alan

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Back in the Saddle said:

I have no doubt the Spitfire will look rather good too once it's finished.👍

Thanks Matt, but you're way behind the curve already 😂

Thanks again,

Alan