Tornado Warning! 1/32 Tornado EF3 Conversion *FINISHED!*

Alan P

Alan the F3bis really starting to come to life with the washes going on and already looks great underneath.

That sight on the Beau, I thought until I read your text, had a miniature LED in it, that looks fab.  The tape on yhe wing route of the Beau is that what your revered to several posts back ? Do you paint over that, if so a cracking idea, I might nick , sorry borrow that one. 

Great work on both.

Chris 

2 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

The tape on yhe wing route of the Beau is that what your revered to several posts back ? Do you paint over that, if so a cracking idea, I might nick , sorry borrow that one. 

Cheers Chris once again :thanks: 

Re Tamiya tape - yes exactly what you said. It's a great way of covering up nasty gaps and steps, here's how it changed the Revell Super Hornet I made last year, which has notoriously bad fitting fins:

Before:

tn_IMG_20200423_154547

After:

tn_IMG_20200423_161200

Finished:

tn_IMG_20200502_111301

Best cheat/shortcut I know, and it really works!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi again,

Been able to do some more modelling today 😁

tn_Tornado F3 (163)

This is the end product of several oil washes - it may not be immediately obvious if anything has happened at all since the last update, but there is a difference!

tn_Tornado F3 (164)

I used three different colour washes to try and present a varied panel line appearance, and tried not to uniformly colour in all the lines 'just because'.

tn_Tornado F3 (166)

I paid attention to the access panels and maintenance hatches as the parts which would get the most use.

tn_Tornado F3 (167)

The nose is bothering me a bit...after banging on about the nose on other builds, mine seems to be pretty similar, so it looks like mission impossible to get an accurate F3 in 1/32 with what's available!

Right, just need to get on and finish it. I went to my local Halfords to get some more Filler Primer and Black paint for the base, only to find it has shut down 😭 so that's a further delay until I can get the stand finished. Otherwise it's not far from the finish line now.

Cheers, again,

Alan 

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 8:12 AM, chrismac60 said:

Lovely build mate, very impressed. 

Thank you Chris, means a lot coming from you mate! If you think this is good, you should see the Harrier...

tn_Harrier (23)

Anyway...!

Tornado (168)

Well, it's survived a week on its stick, I think I can continue now!

Tornado (167)

Rather pleased with the look of this, hopefully will get on and finish it soon, just been working so hard recently I haven't had time to think...

Also have the Beaufighter ready for primer when it stops raining, and two new projects in the pipeline - a Mosquito FB.VI conversion from the old Revell Mk.IV, and an Israeli F-35I (one for you @chrismac60 :lol:)

Will hopefully have more interesting contributions to make soon,

Alan

• Like 6

Gee shucks Alan, that's very kind of you fella.

I have to say seeing it on the stand, wow.  Looks fantastic and  when finished is really going to be an impressive display indeed. 

You are now teasing us with the Beau and a new Mossie project too!!!

Great work fella 

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, chrismac60 said:

I take it the Harrier is the Revell 1/32 kit?

Some of it still is, took a lot of modifications 😂

• Like 1

Decided to pull my finger out and finish this, it's been sitting almost finished for about a month!

tn_Tornado F3 (171)

This is the painting basically finished, just some minor effects left. I've also decided to move the roundel on the upper wing to the correct position, so that will be painted out again later.

tn_Tornado F3 (172)

This aircraft was used but not filthy, just some grubby mitts around the latches and access panels with a little variation in the panels.

tn_Tornado F3 (174)

This side was a bit dirtier with the ground service panel and power receptacle cover, which saw a lot of greasy thumbs during normal ops!

tn_Tornado F3 (175)

Masks removed - amazing the difference it makes to the overall appearance. The pilot is still headless following the unscheduled flight into the chest of drawers earlier in the build!

tn_Tornado F3 (176)

Finished off the wing fold and added a smidge of smoke to the fin - this aircraft wasn't the sooty mess that some F3s looked with the thrust reverser efflux.

tn_Tornado F3 (177)

Overall I'm pleased with the surface finish, although some of the wear looks a little overdone now I'm seeing the photos :hmmm:

Next step coming up...

Alan

• Like 6

Moving on...

tn_Tornado F3 (181)

Jet nozzles and ILS aerials added

tn_Tornado F3 (182)

Not as nice as I've achieved in the past, but they'll do.

tn_Tornado F3 (185)

Finished canopies attached, along with the pilot's head!

tn_Tornado F3 (184)

Nav lights also painted with Tamiya clear red and green.

Final steps will be coming up tomorrow - adding the pylons and stores, followed by all the antennae and remaining lights and that'll be her done!

Alan

• Like 7

Thought I'd add the progress for the last bonus build on this thread: 

tn_Tornado F3 (186)

Here's the Beaufighter primed and ready for paint - the collector rings have already been painted in Alclad Stainless Steel and AK Burnt Metal, masked off ready for the Temperate Sea Scheme.

tn_Tornado F3 (187)

Used some strips of aluminium litho plate to detail these vents, and drilled out the .303s to even up the mismatched holes in the wings!

tn_Tornado F3 (188)

Raised panel lines restored using Mr Surfacer 500 and Tamiya tape. It'll do!

Finished off the afternoon in the sun painting the Sky undersides, will be doing the Dark Slate Grey tomorrow using Colourcoats enamel so the weather should help with curing time!

All the best,

Alan

• Like 4

• Alan P changed the title to Tornado Warning! 1/32 Tornado EF3 Conversion with ALARMs (+ free bonus builds!)

Oh wow Alan wicked work on both, the F3 looks great with the grubby mot marks and panel variations  and with ghe Glazing unmasked looks wonderful,  I am relieved for the pilot too getting his head back. 

Beau looks groovy fella, the restoration of ye old panels lines with Mr surfacer is inspired.

Great job on both.

Chris

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow Alan wicked work on both, the F3 looks great with the grubby mot marks and panel variations  and with ghe Glazing unmasked looks wonderful,  I am relieved for the pilot too getting his head back. 

Beau looks groovy fella, the restoration of ye old panels lines with Mr surfacer is inspired.

Great job on both.

Chris

Many thanks again Chris, I really have appreciated your tireless enthusiasm for the build(s) which has far surpassed mine on several occasions! Thank you.

• Like 1

Superb work Alan. Now that is how weathering and wear and tear should be done. The majority of "distress" on many an airframe is from mucky hand and boot marks, not to look ready for the scrap yard. You have replicated that perfectly.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alan P said:

Overall I'm pleased with the surface finish, although some of the wear looks a little overdone now I'm seeing the photos :hmmm:

No the wear is not overdone, I think it looks perfect in the photo's.  You've done an awesome job!!

1 hour ago, Phone Phixer said:

Superb work Alan. Now that is how weathering and wear and tear should be done. The majority of "distress" on many an airframe is from mucky hand and boot marks, not to look ready for the scrap yard. You have replicated that perfectly.

Rob.

Yes, couldn't agree more....

Cheers Anthony

• Thanks 1

Thanks very much Rob and Anthony, I try to err on the side of realism where weathering and wear is concerned, it's a lonely furrow sometimes 😂 I generally like to finish models with a cleaner look (because it's usually closer to reality, and because I'm lazy😁), but if the subject is a mess, so be it! 

Thanks very much again guys 👍

• Like 1

Okay, the final straight for this one...

tn_Tornado F3 (190)

Roundel repositioned. It was a small change but made me feel better :lol:

tn_Tornado F3 (189)

Forward fuselage decals finished, including the canopy jettison one.

tn_Tornado F3 (191)

Underwing stores completed

tn_Tornado F3 (192)

Stores and antennae all fitted, along with the remaining lights, pitot static and AOA probes fitted

tn_Tornado F3 (193)

Chaff launchers also fitted (almost forgot those!)

tn_Tornado F3 (194)

Last shot before it goes up on its stick for good...

tn_Tornado F3 (195)

1500s fitted

tn_Tornado F3 (196) tn_Tornado F3 (197) tn_Tornado F3 (198) tn_Tornado F3 (199)

Well, this is the most F3 I can possibly manage in 1/32, so I'm calling it done.

tn_Tornado F3 (200)

Here it is on its base (still need to do something more interesting with it)

Tornado F3 (210)

Would it be really big-headed of me to say this is the best model I've ever built? Because I really think it is!

Thanks very much to all who followed the build, especially Chris @bigbadbadge, John @Biggles87, Rob @Phone Phixer, @Anthony in NZ and Joe @WV908 for keeping me on track despite the many distractions of work, stress and loss of interest :laugh:

All the very best and watch out for my Mossie, coming soon to a WIP near you 👍

Time for beers I reckon :cheers:

Alan

• Like 16

• Alan P changed the title to Tornado Warning! 1/32 Tornado EF3 Conversion *FINISHED!*

It looks absolutely awesome Alan  and has been a pleasure to watch develope, you have done a fantastic job on this and looking at it on it's stand makes it look very dynamic.  A great model and you should be justifiably proud, congratulations and thanks for the mention. 

Chris

• Thanks 1