Mercedes W154, German GP '38

• 2 weeks later...

I have started the slow final assembly process during the day. With kits like this it takes a little time and effort as you still have to make minor adjustments and solve small problems or make a late addition and thinking things through a step or three before committing to glue, but it's very enjoyable and very rewarding.

Radiator and oil cooler fitted into the nose piece.

154_85.jpg

Cockpit details being fitted, and the compressors mounted on the engine.

154_86.jpg

Tank details.

154_87.jpg

The front suspension, still waiting for the hydraulic brake hoses.

154_88.jpg

Ignition wiring being made from 0,3 mm lead wire and painted.

154_89.jpg

154_90.jpg

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Cockpit looks good, real business! I must say that those who drove these cars in real life couldn't know word fear.  

Thanks Vesa.

They lived life to the fullest extent, extracting all from it, and sometimes a little more...

Oh, Jörgen, I've a question: which kind/Brand of paper do you user to print your decals, and which kind of color printer, Laser or Inkjet ?`

Thanks in advance for your answer

CC

8 hours ago, CrazyCrank said:

Oh, Jörgen, I've a question: which kind/Brand of paper do you user to print your decals, and which kind of color printer, Laser or Inkjet ?`

Thanks in advance for your answer

CC

I mostly use the "Expert Choice" decal film, from Bare-Metal. It's very thin so you can easily put a few on top of each other if needed. Also available in white.

154_91.jpg

However my decal printer is neither a Laser nor an Inkjet. I'm lucky to have an OKI DP-5000 (better known as Alps MD5000) that prints with thermal ribbons, so it can also print white, silver, gold and foil. So I'm afraid I can't say much about laser or ink printers.

154_92.jpg

154_93.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First the engine is fitted. It's very tight so the bonnet must be taped in place to ensure the position of the engine while the epoxy sets.

154_99.jpg

154_100.jpg

The cross member of the front suspension needed some trimming to clear the carburettor.

154_101.jpg

Front suspension measured in place and supported while epoxy cures.

154_102.jpg

• Like 6

Front shock absorbers are fitted after some minor modifications.

154_103.jpg

Then it's time to fit the nose section. Again the bonnet must be taped in place to get a good alignment of the parts.

154_104.jpg

While the glue up front cures the rear wheels can be fitted and aligned.

154_105.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Really nice work. I really need to get this kit too.

Thanks a lot Vesa. I think Fernando still have this one available.

42 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Superb stuff Jörgen. it's looking brilliant!

Thanks a lot Keith, glad you like the work.

When the rear wheels could handle a little force the car could be turned around and the body level adjusted and supported so the front wheels could be glued. Everything must be aligned and checked while the glue sets.

154_106.jpg

After the car could be safely moved again the windscreen glass was fitted with Kristal Klear applied with a fine pointed brush. The car is still resting on a bottom support to keep weight off the wheels while the 5 min epoxy gets the necessary hours to get really firm overnight.

154_107.jpg

• Like 7

That is unbelievably good.  The  replacement kompressors on the engine look like they were part of the original engine.  It's interesting to see just how much the engine was angled.  Really good workmanship, as ever. Bravo!

Trevor 

• Like 1