Mercedes W154, German GP '38

On 12/04/2021 at 20:31, Vesa Jussila said:

Cockpit looks good, real business! I must say that those who drove these cars in real life couldn't know word fear.  

About thirty years ago (where has the time gone?) I read a magazine article where they drove a W154; it was the end of a series where they had driven various great racing cars, including the Porsche 917 and the W154's indirect descendant the W196.  The conclusion was that the drivers of the 1930s were probably the bravest of them all.  When you consider that the W154 pilot was seated in front of a big fuel tank and under another fuel tank (in the scuttle), driving at speeds approaching 200mph on skinny tyres with no aerodynamic aids; you can see their point.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, johnlambert said:

About thirty years ago (where has the time gone?) I read a magazine article where they drove a W154; it was the end of a series where they had driven various great racing cars, including the Porsche 917 and the W154's indirect descendant the W196.  The conclusion was that the drivers of the 1930s were probably the bravest of them all.  When you consider that the W154 pilot was seated in front of a big fuel tank and under another fuel tank (in the scuttle), driving at speeds approaching 200mph on skinny tyres with no aerodynamic aids; you can see their point.

Indeed, the guys racing these cars were some pretty large characters. Also the fuel carried in the tanks that surrounded them was pretty potent stuff. But somehow I get the feeling that there was also a larger amount of respect between them on the track, as the price to pay could very easily be frightening high...

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting any progress tonight, but somehow had some energy left after coming back home from a work day at my main customer's office, so the water pipes from the radiator top to the cylinder heads where finished. Then the 3D-printed bonnet hooks were fitted. One could go on fitting details in the engine bay, but this is what I planned so I'm drawing the limit here.

154_108.jpg

154_109.jpg

The last parts were the exhaust pipes, and they were installed without any problems, to my surprise. Earlier preparation paid off.

154_110.jpg

As the last thing I added the important flats to the tyres to get the weight and adherence to the ground. Dick Seaman's car is ready to roll out onto the grid...

154_111.jpg

154_112.jpg

• Like 12

Fabulous! You've really captured that low slung stance.  Somehow, the W154 managed to look graceful and aggressive at the same time.  Classic motor.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2021 at 16:00, Brandy said:

A wonderful model of a most beautiful car.

Very impressive!

21 hours ago, Pouln said:

What a wonderful model you created, Jörgen. 

Thanks a lot gentlemen for the kind praise.

I have just had a read through your build Jörgen. Great detailing and careful attention to fit and finish have led to a fabulous looking model of this Mercedes classic. Well done sir. :worthy:

John

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

I have just had a read through your build Jörgen. Great detailing and careful attention to fit and finish have led to a fabulous looking model of this Mercedes classic. Well done sir. :worthy:

Thanks a lot John, you are most kind.

Race cars from this era responds very well to a little extra attention.

• Like 1