Heller Concorde 1/72 re-release

neilg

I absolutely abhor this kit. It is the worst kit I’ve ever attempted: nothing fits, I’m sure each part is actually from a different kit, it is hopelessly inaccurate - that nose! (and I’m no rivet counter). It’s a shame that the molds couldn’t be “accidentally “ lost or irreparable damaged and the kit designers charged with crimes against humanity.

I’m so full of admiration for anyone who manages to see it through to the end, I decided that life was just too short!

We do need a decent 1/72 Concorde.

Graham

• Like 1

The visor can be made to work, I managed with my BA and AF builds:

I think I've lost the pictures I used for the WIP thread thanks to Photobucket, but I have another one to build in Landor, so I will take some pictures of that build to show what I did to get it to work.

• Like 7

Good for you! Proving it can be done with a bit of hard work and dedication. Regardless of all the negative comments, I shall have a go at this myself soonish. I’ve made a slow start on the HPH kit but I really need a kick up the . . .

Nick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilg said:

The visor can be made to work, I managed with my BA and AF builds:

Yes, it is possible. Even that test-shot I showed pictures of had a perfectly working visor.

Dave

On 19/05/2021 at 19:33, Nick Belbin said:

Good for you! Proving it can be done with a bit of hard work and dedication. Regardless of all the negative comments, I shall have a go at this myself soonish. I’ve made a slow start on the HPH kit but I really need a kick up the . . .

Nick

I haven't really had that much of a bad experience with this kit, but I can live with the inaccuracies without getting all bent out of shape about it.

I'm still keeping an eye out on Heller's website, but no indication yet of a release date - it's just "Coming Soon".

How far did you get on the HPH kit?

On 22/05/2021 at 09:06, neilg said:

How far did you get on the HPH kit?

Not very far - just modified the resin nose but not touched anything else on the kit. In fact, I'm keen to get on with the 1/72 , so made a start on that one's nose this week; work in progress:

1-48_and_1-72_Concorde_Noses

Nick

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nick Belbin said:

Not very far - just modified the resin nose but not touched anything else on the kit. In fact, I'm keen to get on with the 1/72 , so made a start on that one's nose this week; work in progress:

1-48_and_1-72_Concorde_Noses

Nick

That looks like 1:144 vs. 1:72!

The Heller website still says Coming Soon...

But I ended up buying an Airfix 1:72 on ebay last night...

7 hours ago, neilg said:

That looks like 1:144 vs. 1:72!

The Heller website still says Coming Soon...

But I ended up buying an Airfix 1:72 on ebay last night...

But now you can do Air France and BA. So it was clearly a tactical purchase haha 

18 minutes ago, MsModeller said:

But now you can do Air France and BA. So it was clearly a tactical purchase haha 

I have already done an Air France build - but I want to do another, gear down this time!

I dismantled a part built Airfix 1/72nd kit with a few parts missing and had to strip the paint off it - and that is when I discovered that the current Fairey Power Spray is a new formula which doesn't strip paint! I don't know about you but I spent a lot of time making better joins, particularly the upper wing-fuselage join with a lot of extra card and the one thing I picked up was to cut the cockpit glazing in half down the centreline and then fit each half onto the fuselage halves and then to put a sliver of card into the new centreline join! I also filled the nose with Milliput and cut a piece of card to fit on top but pushed into the Milliput so that the visor would fit. To be honest, after the fight with the parts, I really enjoyed rebuilding it and getting the panels to flow into each other and, if its not perfect, I don't care, it looks great to me!!

• Like 1

That’s very interesting John

Because I had to de-kit mine and start again it was hard work but it was interesting to get reasonable wing joins on the underside. I also scratchbuilt the cabinets opposite the engineers station, moved both back so they didn’t cover the side windows and also raised the captain and copilots seats a bit. Easy stuff really. Interesting how you got good joins with the fuselage sections- in my case I did a lot of filling and sanding down!! But it’s definitely a Concorde in my eyes!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/05/2021 at 12:02, Simon Cornes said:

Interesting how you got good joins with the fuselage sections- in my case I did a lot of filling and sanding down!! But it’s definitely a Concorde in my eyes!!

I managed to avoid steps by building it in two halves (i.e., not how the instructions say):

IMG_1745

Nose has to be built fully first to get the mechanism working, then one side of the fuselage, then one side of the tail - then the other halves can be glued in to match the joints, thus avoiding steps.

• Like 5

Seems as though there is now some sort of standard procedure for building this kit! It would be nice if someone had come along with a metal version of the nose lowering mechanism (SAC ?)

With regards to the wings, as I’d had to dismantle my kit then I had some repairs here and there but I though the idea of the top surface resting on 6 or 7 plastic pins was laughable so I put horizontal strip between the pins so that at least  the filler wouldn’t drop through and then, yes, I packed the lower panel/upper panel wing joins with card here and there to make the join as flush as possible. Basic modelling isn’t it really? Mine is finished as G-BOAC, as displayed at Manchester and in which I have sat. The photos I took of the outside were useful to when it came to decalling. Beautiful jet and a great, probably unfairly maligned kit!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

Scalemates lists several online shops that have them in stock, I'm tempted to get one but I've already used up my model budget for the year 😅

I hope your modelling year goes from April-March!

Graham

It's an aircraft that deserves a proper kit. Personally, I think 1/72 is really too big, but 1/144 is definitely too small. If someone did an accurate, well detailed 1/100 model, with buttoned-up or all hanging out options (including in-flight engine configurations and powered down) I'd be first in the queue...

best,

M.

Super-Hobby seems to have it in stock.

I am glad that it is a awful kit and to expensive, otherwise I probably would have one even if I don't have any space for one.

I agree that 1/72 is to big and 1/144 is loosing my interest but i would not build an odd scale between this. So I'll try to finish my three remaining 1/144 Concorde's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1