Heller Concorde 1/72 re-release

neilg

I've made a few of the Concorde kits in 1/72, from Airfix, Revell, and Heller.

None of these are in production anymore, but it looks like Heller is going to release the 1/72 kit again, in both standard kit and starter set with paints:

https://www.heller.fr/en/80469-concorde-af-1000804690

https://www.heller.fr/en/56469-starter-kit-concorde-af-1000564690

No idea if it's new tooling, but judging from the diagrams on the boxart, which are the same as in the instructions of the older kits, I'm guessing it's the same tooling.

I definitely want to do another Air France build with gear down this time, so this is welcome news for me.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Doom3r said:

I wish somebody would produce pepsi decals for it... I know it was not really good for the plane but that sceme was really nice.

I have only seen those decals in 1:144, but I don't know who makes them.

9 minutes ago, neilg said:

I have only seen those decals in 1:144, but I don't know who makes them.

Ascensio. I was able to get hold of them few month back, however looks like Revell Concorde is twice normal price now in US so I am waiting when I can get model kit for a descent price and dealing with the pile of shame in the meantime.

• 2 months later...
On 26/02/2021 at 19:02, neilg said:

I've made a few of the Concorde kits in 1/72, from Airfix, Revell, and Heller.

None of these are in production anymore, but it looks like Heller is going to release the 1/72 kit again, in both standard kit and starter set with paints:

https://www.heller.fr/en/80469-concorde-af-1000804690

https://www.heller.fr/en/56469-starter-kit-concorde-af-1000564690

No idea if it's new tooling, but judging from the diagrams on the boxart, which are the same as in the instructions of the older kits, I'm guessing it's the same tooling.

I definitely want to do another Air France build with gear down this time, so this is welcome news for me.

I'm looking forward to this kit, I've built two and don't own a single one!!  I'm just about to start the new prototype, which will be a keeper.

• Like 1

I have two built 1/100 Testors Concordes, was debating selling them and buying one of the Heller/Airfix ones. I saw the threads on here on how to make a nice one, a lot of work.

26 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I have two built 1/100 Testors Concordes, was debating selling them and buying one of the Heller/Airfix ones. I saw the threads on here on how to make a nice one, a lot of work.

The 1/144 is straight forward enough, the 1/72, well that's a different beast.  I was lucky, I had the help of some great builders here, lots of sanding, and more sanding.  But well worth it.  I would do one again.  Just because I gave mine away.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Andy350 said:

The 1/144 is straight forward enough, the 1/72, well that's a different beast.  I was lucky, I had the help of some great builders here, lots of sanding, and more sanding.  But well worth it.  I would do one again.  Just because I gave mine away.

F-DCAL has British Airways Negus, Chatham Historic Dockyard, and Landor decals in 1:144, which can be rescaled to 1:72.

So even if the Heller Air France kit is the only offering, there are British Airways decals available for it.

41 minutes ago, neilg said:

F-DCAL has British Airways Negus, Chatham Historic Dockyard, and Landor decals in 1:144, which can be rescaled to 1:72.

So even if the Heller Air France kit is the only offering, there are British Airways decals available for it.

How do you rescale decals?

9 hours ago, Andy350 said:

I remember you working on it now.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I think the Revell reissue has been discontinued?.

I've built a couple of the Airfix kits.

Sure, it was a challenging build but, I don't really mind that.

As for "inaccuracy", it sure looks pretty much like a Concorde when built and, that does it for me.

I gave both away but, I'd like to do one this time in the BA Landor scheme. Surely the smartest BA scheme ever.

John

Would be nice if they released the 1/72 with the required fixes, but like you say that's part of the joy (maybe) of building these, otherwise it's another form of lego.  The only fix I thought that helps this kit was with the shortening of the visor.  I agree, the Landor scheme was the best.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/05/2021 at 21:25, Space Ranger said:

Are there anywhere accurate scale drawings of this beautiful airplane, preferably in 1/72 scale?

I had once the same question here and the answer was no. Very strange indeed for such an iconic airplane. I have not found any scale drawing since, so it seems to be the ugly truth.

• Sad 1

On 5/4/2021 at 9:33 PM, Andy350 said:

So it's just the airfix/revell kit rebadged?

The kit was originally an Airfix/Heller collaboration released in 2004, Airfix included BA decals and Heller had AF. More recently (2015) released by Revell and now to be re-released by Heller.

Some of you might find this of interest. In November 2004 I won a test-shot of the 1/72 Airfix/Heller Concorde in an Airfix competition. I received it ready made and to be honest, it put me off buying the production model. I sold it in the end as it took up too much space.

spacer.png

As you can see, it was moulded in five colours of plastic and not assembled very well.

concorde_prototype_18.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

I built one of those about 3 years ago.

It was the Revell re-issue with very well made instructions that show some of the most prominent issues on the kit and how to overcome them.

I didnt experience any problems with the build,except that the moving nose/visor did not work and I had to install them in a fixed position.

Here the link to the RFI