Tamiya Acrylic & Lacquer

Simon Dyer

Hi Folks

I have just completed a kit, finished it in gloss to add some weathering to find out that Im completely out of XF-86 flat clear to complete it.

I have recently purchased some of the Tamiya lacquer paint.  Could someone tell me please if the two are compatible or am I letting myself in for a disaster?  

I have an old kit that Im going to use as a test piece but have not quite done that yet.  Just wanted to get this one off of the bench.

Any help would be much appreciated

Take care and safe

Si

Hi

Thanks for coming back to me. I have used Tamiya Acrylic XF-60, 61 & 64 and will have had at least 48 hours drying.

I wanted to use the new Tamiya Lacquer LP-23 but thinking as it was more solvent based it may react with the normal acrylic leaving a glupy mess

Si 

I also use Gunze GX clear lacquer with Mr Color Leveling Thinner over Tamiya and Gunze aqueous acrylics with no issue - my preferred finish for many years now. I expect the Gunze product is very similar to the Tamiya. I do allow at least 24 hours before coating and ensure it is not flooded with the clear coat. 

Ray

Hi Folks

Ive either totally lost the plot or doing something horribly wrong, or both.

I initially sprayed what little I had of XF-86 flat clear but soon ran out, this for some reason came out a semi-gloss (Ive never had that problem before). This had been drying for over 24hrs.

After reaching out for help from you guys I sprayed the lacquer flat clear.  However it has also come out semi-gloss, actually bordering on gloss. I have used the following

1. Tamiya LP-23 Flat Clear (new bottle) thinned with Tamiya Lacquer thinner to the correct consistency (a consistency which I have used on many occasions albeit with the acrylic paint). It was mixed for nearly 5 mins on a Vortex mixer on 3/4 speed
  2. I used a Hansa 381 airbrush with a pressure setting of between 15 & 20 PSI
  3. I did quite thin applications without flooding it.
  4. It has been over an hour now but there are no signs of it even attempting to go flat. I would have thought that it would at least shown some signs by now!

Am I being impatient and should wait longer? 

As you can probably gather Im still pretty new to airbrushing on a serious basis.

Once again guys your help would be much appreciated

Take care 

Si

Never used the Tamiya LP range, but Gunze's GX goes dead flat pretty fast. Maybe the Tamiya thinner is similar to the Self Leveling thinner from Gunze? That gives it a slight satin finish. I know Gunze also makes Rapid Thinner which is supposed to enhance the dead flat effect. 

Try on a piece of scrap: more clear to thinner in the ratio. It could just be that you're overthinning perhaps and the flattening agent isn't building up enough.