Tamiya Porsche 911GT1 1:24

Hi all,

Latest build for me and first completed of this year. I'm normally a builder of winged things but this is my third Tamiya car kit (1:24 DTM Calibra and 1:20 F189 previously) and they are quite addictive :)

This is actually the second build of a kit for a colleague who likes the finished product but isn't yet ready to cross the line into the world of building and painting so hoping maybe third time lucky for him!

The kit itself was a joy to build, with a nicely detailed engine bay out of the box, this took about half the build time itself and does look lovely at 1:1 scale, though sure more detail could be scratched to take it up a level!

The kit also provides masks for the windows which was a bonus.

Painting was mostly Tamiya colours with Mig metallics and Zero paints for the white, the latter of which was amazing to use, with great coverage which is something I usually hate about white (i bought it as a twin pack with Mclaren Red to complete an MP4/4 i have in the stash so looking forward to that now).

The decals performed far better than I feared and went down without any mishaps, all finished with either Xtracylics matt or Alclad aqua gloss and rubbed with Carnauba wax on the shell.

Hope you like and any questions/C&CC always welcomed,

Thanks, Stu

AkPxYGn.jpeg

BLuHOKb.jpeg

V6pHWlb.jpeg

7iOFF7N.jpeg

edEVBs5.jpeg

YW9dTDW.jpeg

XwbLMop.jpeg

RnUrWGH.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys :) The decalling was definitely the bit I was dreading on this as some of them are quite large and tricky to get in position before they grab and don't want to move further, particularly the big gold splash on the rear as theres quite a few thin bits of splash that make the whole thing harder to position. But thankfully they werent too bad in the end so well done Tamiya for that! Cheers, Stu

Really good looking model, congrats. 

Great finish on the colours/clear too. I only use acrylics so have never tried Zero, but agree that the Aqua Gloss Clear works really well.

Superb job.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi great looking Porsche, I am in the middle of the same build, using the same Zero paint as the Tamiya white is a pain in the bum. 

I also have the MP 4/4 up next with the Top Studio detail kit, looking forward building it. 

if any one wants a copy of the carbon templates for the Porsche, please let me know. 

Thanks for the kind comments Guys and sorry for my pitifully slow reply!!

I can definitely recommend the kit for anyone wanting to give it a go, its the usual Tamiya great fit and whilst some of the decals are large they really did work well and had enough thickness in them to correct their positioning before the microsol took hold, it was quite satisfying seeing the whole kit come to life as the decals went on the plain white shell :)

6 hours ago, Kevlar212 said:

Hi great looking Porsche, I am in the middle of the same build, using the same Zero paint as the Tamiya white is a pain in the bum. 

I also have the MP 4/4 up next with the Top Studio detail kit, looking forward building it. 

if any one wants a copy of the carbon templates for the Porsche, please let me know.

I look forwards to seeing yours in RFI Kevlar :) The Zero paints are really nice to work with and coverage is the best of any white I have tried yet. I usually spray in the kitchen with a dust mask on and the back door open which seems to work OK for Tamiya etc acrylics. With the Zero paints I managed to stick out the kitchen and add a white highlight to my nose hair so probably not the brightest idea, will definitely need more thought before I commit to spraying the MP4/4!

Are you doing a WIP thread for the MP4/4 as that would be great to follow. I'm not sure I could budget £150 plus for the detail set but the results do look amazing! Dont need carbon templates for the Porsche but if you do any for the MP4/4 that would be useful as I bought some carbon decal sheet to try on this one.

Cheers, Stu

Hi Stu

I agree cellulose paints do have a acquired pong, tell you the truth I quit like it an acquired taste a bit like the smell of two stroke, not sure if the wife agrees. 

I built a makeshift spray booth, which consists of a large cardboard box and a second hand kitchen extractor fan, just ordered a “3M” spray mask from China for a tenner, can’t wait to see what turns up 😀

I will look in the box for carbon templates for the 4/4, if not there I will purchase some in for a penny in for a pound. 

Joe

• 3 months later...

Beautiful build! Clean clear windows and body finish offer little clue to actual size. Nice. Did you dry-brush the carbon fibre colors on the intercooler air duct? On the cold-air pipe down to the turbo-compressors? Very light weathering on the exhaust pipes is clean and effective. I take heart from every clean and sharp GT1 I see online and at shows. Very good photos too!

This is not the first excellent build I've seen here. I started one when they first came out - came to a halt when I realized a lot of the "guts" I enjoy were poorly documented and not part of the kit. A personal failing of mine. AMS or "Advanced Modeler Syndrome". I've been trying to accumulate the info I wish I had, and now, about 20 years later, after being retired for a while, I'm getting there. 

It all comes of building a Tamiya 1/12 Matra when I was a teenager in the 1970s. Working suspension that was robust enough to work. Unlike the Lotus 72, for example. Motor in the motor, gearbox in the gearbox. Functional universal joints in the drive shafts. Real springs in the shock/spring units, Clear "fuel" hose and black "ignition wire" on the V12 Matra engine. Long, skinny springs for "brake lines", connected to brake master cylinders. "Oil lines" and something for flexible water hoses. And AA batteries where the driver's legs should be! The thing was heavy, a solid handfull. Hollow, rubber, tires that smelled like rubber. Set it down, sank onto the springs. Press down and it went lower. Turn on the power and it drove, slowly, and turning the steering wheel turned the front wheels. Not strong enough to demonstrate under or oversteer, but still...  Did I mention the motor and gearbox were removable? So one could admire the empty engine mount, radius rods and all the rest.

You might say that's more like a die-cast toy than a scale model, and I can't disagree. But I still want all those parts present. Even if they don't articulate. 

Edited by Bill Abbott
Add praise of the model based on photos