1/72 Airfix MiG-17F

@viperchief Beautifully done, mate. Do you have any advice for getting the nose together successfully? The half ring/cannon cover over the splitter is tricky. I have trashed one kit already and about to start another!

Thanks. 

Martin

• Like 1

Very nicely done.  This is by no means an “easy” kit to put together and to have it turn out as good as you made it, is a testament to your attention to detail and skills.  Having this Airfix Fresco sit properly is a challenge too.  I like it!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike

• Like 1

Oh yes!  That's a fantastic MiG-17 Rich!  :clap2: Great paintwork and weathering techniques that really seal the deal. :thumbsup:

I love the family portrait too, always a sucker for those group pics like those.   And I noticed the 3020 designation on the nose, a number associated with the North Vietnamese ace Le Hai.  

When I researched my MiG-17 in NVAF colors, I founded several paint schemes purporting to be his mount.   Here's the one I settled on if you're interested:

MiG-17 3020

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Nicely done. How was it for nose weight, I've just bought one for the Africa GB? The rest of the collection is impressive, I do like the scheme on the -15.

Steve.

Thanks Steve! The instructions called for 20 grams...I used 16 grams and it is plenty! A combination of split shot fishing weights and "Liquid Gravity" did the trick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

That is really nice work @viperchief!  Superb work on the Fresco and a great MiG collection

How did you do the paint chipping effect?  It looks very effective

40 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Terrific looking MiG!  The chipping is very realistic -- did you use chipping fluid?

I'm also curious if there were any tricks to getting the nose to fit.  I read that as a common complaint about this kit.

Thank you! Here is my process for the chipping:

1. Primed with Mr Surfacer 1000 thinned with Mr Leveling Thinners (MLT).

2. Applied Mr Color GX2 Gloss Black immediately followed by a wet coat of MLT. Makes it super glossy!

3. Applied AK's Xtreme Metal Aluminum. Let cure over night.

4. Sprayed MiG "Scratches Effects" chipping fluid.

5. Sprayed topcoat of MRP lacquers. 

6. Since MRP isn't water based, putting water on it and scrubbing with a brush doesn't work. I used a fiberglass scratch brush to perforate the MRP. I was then able to scrub water into it and start the chipping. I also used an old airbrush needle (functions as a great CA applicator as well) to carefully chip the edges of panels.

Hope this helps!

Rich

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Oh yes!  That's a fantastic MiG-17 Rich!  :clap2: Great paintwork and weathering techniques that really seal the deal. :thumbsup:

I love the family portrait too, always a sucker for those group pics like those.   And I noticed the 3020 designation on the nose, a number associated with the North Vietnamese ace Le Hai.  

When I researched my MiG-17 in NVAF colors, I founded several paint schemes purporting to be his mount.   Here's the one I settled on if you're interested:

MiG-17 3020

Thank you Gary! Yours is a superb Fresco build!!😍

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

@viperchief Beautifully done, mate. Do you have any advice for getting the nose together successfully? The half ring/cannon cover over the splitter is tricky. I have trashed one kit already and about to start another!

Thanks. 

Martin

50 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Terrific looking MiG!  The chipping is very realistic -- did you use chipping fluid?

I'm also curious if there were any tricks to getting the nose to fit.  I read that as a common complaint about this kit.

Thank you both very much! With regard to the nose...the edges of the lower fuselage and gun cover are beveled where they come together and the sprue gates are located there as well so careful cleaning of the edges is essential without removing too much plastic (easy to do with Airfix's soft stuff). I found when I installed the upper nose ring I had a gap on both sides where it mates to the lower nose ring/gun cover. I elected to keep the gaps in favor of having the nose ring and fuselage come together without a step. I then filled the gaps with styrene shims and sanded smooth. Hope this helps!

Rich

Edited by viperchief
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, viperchief said:

Thank you both very much! With regard to the nose...the edges of the lower fuselage and gun cover are beveled where they come together and the sprue gates are located there as well so careful cleaning of the edges is essential without removing too much plastic (easy to do with Airfix's soft stuff). I found when I installed the upper nose ring I had a gap on both sides where it mates to the lower nose ring/gun cover. I elected to keep the gaps in favor of having the nose ring and fuselage come together without a step. I then filled the gaps with styrene shims and sanded smooth. Hope this helps!

Rich

Thanks Rich. That is a big help. Yes, I had the same gaps but figured it was my fault. I guess not. ;) I have now bought some PE cockpit sets having seen the results on your beautiful build. Wez @Wez has bought some recently for his GB builds and I’ve been wondering. Seeing them in place has convinced me. 

Martin

• Like 1

7 hours ago, viperchief said:

Rich

Rich,

Great result there and duly noted about fitting the nose section.

Like the others, I'm in admiration of your MiG collection.

• Like 2

A true defender! An equal to Spitfires and Hurricanes. Unfortunately, you are far better modeler that deserves a better kit than this elementary Airfix attempt. 

Edited by Josip
  • Like 1