Contra-Prop Group Build..?

Thom216

Don't know if there has been one yet, but how about a GB for those contra-prop beauties?

Single engine or multiple, as long as the two props spin the opposite ways! Fighters, racers, bombers, anything with their props going counter.

Edited by Thom216

Interesting idea, count me in. I could build an An-22, Tu-114, Tu-126 or Bear. I’ve also been thinking about a couple of engine testbed builds that have contra-rotating props - there’s the Il-76 which appeared at Farnborough in (I think) 1994 with an engine with a contra-rotating prop, and the MD-80 testbed for an ultra high bypass engine which had two rows of contra-rotating prop blades.

• Thom216 changed the title to Contra-Prop Group Build..?

NK-12

I have four kits of the subjects powered by this monster, all four are quite challenging. Knowing myself it is likely that I would start them and never finish but blimey, why not? 

Or maybe one of Kamov's helicopters, technically they are not "contra props" but "contra rotors" 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 7:19 AM, zebra said:

I’ve also been thinking about a couple of engine testbed builds that have contra-rotating props - there’s the Il-76 which appeared at Farnborough in (I think) 1994 with an engine with a contra-rotating prop, ...

This one? 

https://transport-photo.com/photo/20829/IL-76-Engine-Testbed.html

For this

http://www.military-today.com/aircraft/an_70.htm

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

Same Il-76, different engine. The one displayed at Farnborough was this one, with a D-236T engine:

Il-76LL RA-76529 D-236T testbed FI94

This engine was apparently intended for the An-70 but they ended up using the one in the photo you linked to. It was also tested on a Yak-42 and there was apparently even a proposal for a D-236 powered twin-engined variant of the BAe 146. I'm going to build a later incarnation of the same airframe with a different engine in the unarmed GB, but that's not going to stop me building this one as well.

I've got a Shackleton in the stash, but I intend to build it soon. I'll probably get a second one at some point because I want a tricycle gear version as well as the tail-dragger, so I'll say in with a hypothetical Shackleton kit

• 1 month later...

Sounds good. Lots to think about. In my stash A Revell Shack AEW is waiting. Of course there are Spitfire variants Red Baron Mustang racer .....

On 01/05/2021 at 03:12, JosephLalor said:

I'd be up for this one.  I've Shackletons, Gannets, Wyverns, Seafires and a Dragon Tu-95MS to choose from.

Choose from !

@Enzo Matrix, Joseph 'ere needs some of your special coaching....

All together now !

• Haha 3

sounds interesting......but have no idea what I'd build??? 

I've never gotten around to finishing this (it's well under the 25% rule), maybe it's all the incentive I need..... plus lots of Rum!

DSCF1255-M.jpg

DSCF1256-S.jpg

it's got the right prop(s)! :D

DSCF1774-S.jpg

• Like 1