Speedjack Trident

Hawker Siddeley Trident 1C

BEA late 1960s

This is the old Airfix kit with a ‘standard set’ of modifications to make it look a bit more like a Trident. These are :

Addition of wing root fairings

Increased fin chord

Sharpened tailplane / fin fairing

Reprofiled wing chord

Replaced wing fences

Offset nose gear

Reshaped radome

Rescribed engine nacelles

Decals are from TwoSix. In the photos the dark blue on the fin looks darker than the cheat line blue, but for some reason this isn’t noticeable in ‘real life’.

The next one will be in the original Red Square livery to complete a trio of trijets.

IMG_5352

IMG_5350

IMG_5348

IMG_5347

IMG_5346

Picture to show the extent of the wing to fuselage fairing on the starboard side only:

IMG_5351

First two Tridents completed :

IMG_5353

IMG_5355

• Like 48

Excellent,, all that work makes a massive difference to the old Airfix kit Well worth doing!

I'm looking forward to the Red Square one next, my favourite BEA livery.

Cheers

John

26 minutes ago, neilg said:

These look great!  I'm looking forward to the re-release later this year.

Does the standard kit not have an offset nosewheel then?

It's just very slightly offset in the kit, as opposed to properly offset!

• Like 2

Gorgeous job on the famous "ground-grabber," and the finish is excellent!  You picked a really difficult color scheme, and worked it in beautifully over your many "mods."  I also like the semi-flat clear-coat, which gives a better scale appearance.

11 hours ago, Malc2 said:

Very nice, I like that the finish is not over shiny.

I see you have done a few of F1 models also!

Malc.

Hi Malc - yes I’m into 1/20 F1 as well as aviation. My first F1 build was the Tamiya 1/12 JPS Lotus 72 which was way back in 70s. It took so long that I didn’t think I could face another 1/12 kit so It great when the 1/20 kits started to appear. The Ferrari F189 is on the bench at the moment, along with a few Buccaneers, Phantoms and Lightnings, a Hunter or two, various airliners, etc etc...

Great looking models . It’s my era BEA No1 in Europe !  Loved seeing Tridents down at Glasgow . I have about 4 of the old Airfix kits that are just waiting for me to get round to them . Your photos are both inspiring and daunting at the same time ! 

On 2/26/2021 at 9:14 PM, Malc2 said:

Very nice, I like that the finish is not over shiny.

I see you have done a few of F1 models also!

Malc.

Hello Malc. Just had a look at your Lotus 101 WIP and that is excellent modelling. My F1 modelling so far has been limited to Tamiya and Ebro kits but I’m tempted to try something more adventurous now. Maybe a Tyrell or Ligier from the Brundle era. Anyway really well done on all that detail and that lovely yellow Camel finish.

In the Classic Aircraft forum upto 1968 there are comprehensive details of the changes required to the Airfix 1/144 HS Trident kit. Titled Airfix Trident by RB277170.