Motorsport of the day

Vesa Jussila

3 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Regardless of which driver and team you support, the biggest problem with F1 this year has been the variable approach to the rules. Both drivers have benefitted and lost out on decisions, but the rules have not been applied in a consistent manner. I find it a shame that a particular action on track can be penalised at some races and not on others. This means we have situations where drivers are not even sure what the rules are.

The final lap safety car issue is a great example of the rules being open to interpretation and not definitive. If the race director can change their mind mid-race, how can teams make strategic decisions? Add in to this, the teams should not be able to approach the race director during the race and negotiate an outcome. I think the FIA has been lacking in leadership for the whole season, so while the outcome has been close, I think it has taken the shine off a season with two fantastic drivers pushing each other to be so far ahead of everyone else. 

Well done Max, better luck next time Lewis, but the FIA does need to up its game!

What would Charlie Whiting have done? I can't help thinking it would never had come to this. Masi is not up to the job, to my mind. Poor Charlie - all his legacy gone in a season. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Flintstone said:

...has been the variable approach to the rules.

I've been into motorsport (albeit mainly rallying) for over 50 years, and that has been the case for ever! It's always a subjective interpretation and as long as it's humans making the decision I suspect it always will be! :)

And I found it amusing yesterday with the variety of opinions from the former drivers about the steward's decision about the lap 1, turn 6 incident! But then tbh it's the same in any sport - if you watch football, how many times do the 'pundits' agree with the referee or VAR....?! 

Keith

• Like 2

@keefr22 I agree with you. This is motorsport. I have been driving myself too and there is always human impact when we look rules. And this year we saw two teams really racing together. That was real improvement, I hope next year is at least one more racing overall victory. Maybe I am optimistic.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I would like to know how this was possible.

Scrutineers are inscrutable....!! 🤣

Latest 'fun' we had with them was with my son and my Mini 1275GT. We'd almost got it fully stage rally prepared, all done according to our book of rules, the Motorsport UK 'Blue Book'. As we couldn't afford to go rallying we decided to do hillclimbs instead in the 'Modprod' class - all the rally preparation work we'd done covered us to run in that class, but we had to get a logbook to show it was 'legal'. So we had a scrutineer come to the house, he inspected everything, was happy and after we'd paid the fee he issued the logbook. So we entered our first event - scrutineer checks logbook, then checks car and finds three things covered by logbook that the issuing guy said were fine but he said weren't, and to get them fixed before next event....!! :)

Totally personal interpretation of rules!!

Keith

The shame of it all is that either driver would have been a worthy winner. But because of the fiasco of the end of the race this season's champion will always have that metaphorical asterisk against their name. Assuming Verstappen keeps it then there is always the nagging impression that he was gifted the race by the organisers. But if Mercedes overturn the result (unlikely I suspect even though I think there's a decent case there) then it will be seen as a championship won in the stewards office/courtroom rather than on track. The shame is that neither driver deserved that, and a fair race would have meant the year's work would have carried much more value.

I genuinely think that the reason for it all was to try to give some last lap excitement, but in the speed of the situation it wasn't thought through fully. The person who comes out worst from this is Masi, and I suspect that the outcome of this is that he won't be in the post next year.

• Like 3

I don’t have Netflix but I have heard more than one comment today saying this was all set up to provide good footage for their behind the scenes show they produce on F1 . I do agree that in Charlie Whitings hands it would never have happened . 
Gary . 

• Like 2

Chainbear.  Link was wrong

Just so you have an idea of how odd some of the drivers felt that the race directors decision was.  Caution for language.

Lance Stroll

https://streamable.com/r9bza1

Ricciardo

https://streamable.com/gwtpp1

How can you only let 5 of the lapped cars pass?  only the ones between MV and LH?

Direct quote from Masi  at the Eifel GP in 2020 where he contradicts his actions here.

https://twitter.com/Jon_Startin/status/1470337713933017091/photo/1

I'm not a MV fan, but Congrats to him. 

Edited by NoSG0

Alonso's laugh in this is a hoot.  He called it right while driving an F-1 car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO0y1yDBURs&t=107s

FIA statement

https://www.fia.com/news/statement-fia-world-motor-sport-council

So much I could say, but, time for me to jump in my Spitfire and go fly(virtually) and hopefully last more than 5 minutes.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 11:02 PM, Windy37 said:

I don’t have Netflix but I have heard more than one comment today saying this was all set up to provide good footage for their behind the scenes show they produce on F1 . I do agree that in Charlie Whitings hands it would never have happened . 
Gary . 

You mean the same Charlie Whiting who was in the middle of plenty of controversies, a list of which would probably need several pages ?

The recent events may have sparked controvery but honestly I can't remember a year without FIA and F1 officials being accused of favouring one team or pilot over the others...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After the last two races of 2021, I will not be watching again.

If F1 want to be green why not just amalgamate with Formula E.

Oh, I forgot, All those diesel generators charging the batteries.

And how will the teams travel the globe? Borrow Greta's carbon fibre yacht?

• Haha 1