Motorsport of the day

Vesa Jussila

1 hour ago, Windy37 said:

There’s talk of Rally GB being held in Ireland next year , all on tarmac . I really enjoyed its time in North Wales , don’t know if I would travel across to Ireland though . 
Gary . 

While tarmac rallying is good to watch, I'm afraid that's just wrong. I thought the whole point of the RAC was to run on gravel/mud tracks with every single type of weather thrown at the competitors.

• Like 1

There's been an Irish WRC round in 2007 - but for 'Rally GB' to be run in Ireland it would have to be in the North I'd assume? 

7 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I thought the whole point of the RAC

Oh if only we could have the epic RAC rally back again - 5 days of chasing the event all around the UK - happy times!

Keith

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

There's been an Irish WRC round in 2007 - but for 'Rally GB' to be run in Ireland it would have to be in the North I'd assume? 

Oh if only we could have the epic RAC rally back again - 5 days of chasing the event all around the UK - happy times!

Keith

Oops! Showed my age there :clif:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Spiny said:

. . .  the whole point of the RAC was to run on gravel/mud tracks with every single type of weather thrown at the competitors.

That just sounds like ordinary Rallying here in N.I. :lol:

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Spiny said:

While tarmac rallying is good to watch, I'm afraid that's just wrong. I thought the whole point of the RAC was to run on gravel/mud tracks with every single type of weather thrown at the competitors.

I think money , or lack of , is the problem . Welsh government funding has ended and nobody seems to want to back the rally to remain on the mainland . Ireland has a massively enthusiastic rallying community , so I’d rather see it there on tarmac than not at all . It’s the cost of  getting there that would put me off spectating . 

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Keith

I’ve great memories of chasing around and sleeping in the car for nearly a week on a tour of British forrests !

Gary . 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I’ve great memories of chasing around and sleeping in the car for nearly a week on a tour of British forrests !

Fun wasn't it (even if the atmosphere in the car was a bit 'ripe' at the end of the week....!!)

K

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/04/2021 at 19:00, Windy37 said:

There’s talk of Rally GB being held in Ireland next year , all on tarmac . I really enjoyed its time in North Wales , don’t know if I would travel across to Ireland though . 
Gary . 

I think the "Circuit of Northern Ireland" is a better idea than another "Wales Rally of North Wales" TBH.

• Like 1

Will anyone be watching the Grand Prix today? I will be out enjoying myself,so not able to watch it live. Must remember not to inadvertently listen or watch any news in the meantime! Chris.

I usually watch the start and then lose interest in the procession after about lap three!

Watched the Goodwood live stream of the Monaco historic Grand Prix the other day - what a difference, proper racing in proper cars!!

Keith

Edit - talking of proper racing, just remembered it's the first BTCC weekend - so will be watching that myself! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

Watched the Goodwood live stream of the Monaco historic Grand Prix the other day - what a difference, proper racing in proper cars!!

I watched this too. Real cars there. Something is missing in current F1.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I was spectating on the Trackrod Rally Yorkshire yesterday , not far from me in and around the North Yorkshire forests . Nice to be back out seeing the cars and drivers after the COVID layoff . There was a great entry as it was a round of the British Championship and lots of other lower level Championships . The service area and finish was at the seaside resort of Filey . I don’t take action shots , but took these at service and the finish . 
83 year old Bob Bean , in blue overalls , and his class winning Lotus Cortina mk1 .

51519977113_3f51bdf5f4_c_d.jpg

Overall winner , Matt Edwards , current British Rally Champion and his Rally 2 class VW Polo GTi .

51519756376_b5dd17c832_k_d.jpg

A Rally 2 class Ford Fiesta …

51520665165_c712473067_c_d.jpg

and it’s interior 

51519755976_0e97491028_c_d.jpg

and the rear view of a similar Fiesta 

51519755856_909b409d81_c_d.jpg

Crews in the British Championship can recce the route to make pace notes and use upgraded road cars to do this . This Ford Focus RS is used by one of the Fiesta drivers . Look away now if you don’t like abused cars !!

51520464569_75e2eff02d_c_d.jpg

Thanks for looking 

Gary . 

• Like 5

Thanks for the pics Gary - Bob Bean's 'Tina definitely my favourite- and he's a name I recognise from the past, I'm sure I entered a couple of road rallies he did well on, back in the dark ages (won't say I competed against him as I was never competitive!!) 

And I'd love to be able to afford a Focus RS as my everyday car, let alone a recce car....!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Thanks for the pics Gary - Bob Bean's 'Tina definitely my favourite- and he's a name I recognise from the past, I'm sure I entered a couple of road rallies he did well on, back in the dark ages (won't say I competed against him as I was never competitive!!) 

And I'd love to be able to afford a Focus RS as my everyday car, let alone a recce car....!! 🤣

Keith

I think Bob was a Ford works driver back in the 60s . He's still competitive and always willing to chat out of the car . Ford have a fleet of RS Focus recce cars.  When Ford and Volvo were partners , they used Volvo S60 saloons for recce purposes and were driven by most world rally champions of the late 90s and early 00s . That was when Ford had a bigger interest in rallying . Glad you liked the pictures . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Thanks for sharing Gary. I also remember those Volvo recce cars. Those were not so typical ones.

Thought it appropriate to put this item in the page you started  , Vesa . The Volvos  sounded real nice as well . Cool cars !!

Gary .