Aer Lingus Boeing 720

Boeing 720-048

Aer Lingus early 1960s

Roden 1/144 kit with Welsh Models resin engines (kit engines are far too big - a shame because they are nicely moulde

Twosix decals

Paint finish - Halford's Appliance White + AK Polished Aluminium with Xtracrylic grey panels

IMG_5361

IMG_5360

IMG_5359

IMG_5358

IMG_5357

IMG_5356

Edited by CT Modeller
Correcting decal source
  • Like 45
  • Thanks 6

6 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

Just realized I've posted this in WIP whereas it should have been in Ready for Inspection. No idea how to shift it so can anybody help please?

Yep - if you do it again (you naughty person, you!), just Report it and ask for it to be moved to wherever it should be :) I'll do it now for you though. :yes:

That's a beauty Chris. 

Superb finish and excellent weathering. The Welsh Models engines look perfect. Based on my experience with the 720B a few months ago I don't imagine fitting them would be much more difficult than attaching the kit engines!

:goodjob:

Dave G

5 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

That's a beauty Chris. 

Superb finish and excellent weathering. The Welsh Models engines look perfect. Based on my experience with the 720B a few months ago I don't imagine fitting them would be much more difficult than attaching the kit engines!

:goodjob:

Dave G

Hi Dave - well the 720B engines must have been almost a nightmare to fit then, because the Welsh engines were a complete nightmare! They certainly weren't designed to be a drop in fit for the Roden kit, so I guess they're from the Welsh Models 720 kit.

• Like 1

Brings back memories. Our neighbour who worked for Aer Lingus brought a very excited little boy to the maintenance hangars at Dublin Airport and I got to climb into a stripped out Boeing 720. Maybe even that one. Probably on a C check I suppose. I remember being puzzled by the 720 title. I knew what a 707 was but not a 720.

Little did I know I would one day work in those very hangars with 727s. Indeed my brother still works there. 

Apart from that it looks great, nice subtle weathering. You could legitimately make it worse. I remember my neighbour complaining about how scruffy it was. 

Great job. 

Edited by noelh

Hi Chris,

Well I have to agree with everyone else that is superb! The weathering is great, as well as the use of the Welsh engines which make all the difference. It is a really nice kit to build, one of my favourites.

Lovely livery too!

Cheers,

Ian

Very nicely done, Chris! You've done a beautiful justice to a beautiful classic bird in a very striking livery that suits the 720 nicely. Good choice, too, in utilizing the Welsh engines...adds a perfect and accurate touch to the finished model. Very nice weathering, too...all too often modelers add weathering that draws too much attention to...the weathering. Yours is beautifully done, and makes the model look real...and the lighting is good too! Natural sunlight? Really really like this one...and never mind posting it where it "shouldn't" be...the more postings THIS one gets, the better appreciated she'll be!  :goodjob:

2 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Very nicely done, Chris! You've done a beautiful justice to a beautiful classic bird in a very striking livery that suits the 720 nicely. Good choice, too, in utilizing the Welsh engines...adds a perfect and accurate touch to the finished model. Very nice weathering, too...all too often modelers add weathering that draws too much attention to...the weathering. Yours is beautifully done, and makes the model look real...and the lighting is good too! Natural sunlight? Really really like this one...and never mind posting it where it "shouldn't" be...the more postings THIS one gets, the better appreciated she'll be!  :goodjob:

Thanks very much. Yes the photos were taken in natural sunlight. I finished the model (and the Tridents) months ago and I’ve been waiting for suitable weather to take some outdoor photos, which we’ve had in the UK in the last few days

• 2 years later...

I know this is a 2021 post but I hope you don't mind me asking. When and where did you get this decal set? I looked at classic airlines.com and noticed Nick Webb's 720 decals for Aer Lingus are for an earlier jet. You can see the name change for instance in the attached image. Did you get the decal sheet a while back for your stash as the AL 720 sheet isn't in his 'new' decals section so I doubt it was changed recently?

spacer.png

5 hours ago, DNF72000 said:

I know this is a 2021 post but I hope you don't mind me asking. When and where did you get this decal set? I looked at classic airlines.com and noticed Nick Webb's 720 decals for Aer Lingus are for an earlier jet. You can see the name change for instance in the attached image. Did you get the decal sheet a while back for your stash as the AL 720 sheet isn't in his 'new' decals section so I doubt it was changed recently?

spacer.png

Originally, the national airline operating the 720s (and previously, Super Constellations) wasn't Aer Lingus. It was Aerlínte Éireann (Irish International Airlines). The original 720 scheme depicted this original situation. In 1964, Aerlínte Éireann and Aer Lingus were partially merged so we got the updated scheme which showed the dual titles (although the Anglicised "Irish International" was used rather than the Gaelic Aerlínte Éireann). The two airlines were properly merged in 1974 which is partly why a brand new colour scheme was adopted at that time.

You may realise that the full merging of the two Irish state airlines followed a close parallel with what was happening at more or less the same time in the UK with the formal setting up of British Airways in 1974.

What a lovely 720, I must have missed its original posting back in 2021 so I'm glad to have caught up with it here. 

It is good to see what can be done with the Roden  kit, those replacement engines look so much better, and I really, really like the Aer Lingus scheme. 

Cheers

John