Trumpeter 1/72 F-105G Thunderchief

Morning all,

Bringing my Century Series theme to 5/6 completion is Trumpeter's very nice 1/72 Thud. Finished as an F-105G Wild Weasel completely OOB, except for the stars and bars which were poorly printed and needed replacing with some spare ones. A very nice kit with no major fit issues at all. Research revealed that the suggested loadouts of twin AIM-54s on each outboard pylon was never carried, so I modified the launchers to carry a single Shrike and go for the more conventional WW loadout used- not 100% accurate but it passes! Painted with Hataka Orange Line and Alclad for the metallics as always.

50981623536_cbfcc3ece9_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 Republic F-105G Thunderchief by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50981623526_e2d9733539_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 Republic F-105G Thunderchief by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50980917393_0464b6ee3f_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 Republic F-105G Thunderchief by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50981623501_b65ac899f1_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 Republic F-105G Thunderchief by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

50980917368_9909bd3f0d_o.jpgTrumpeter 1/72 Republic F-105G Thunderchief by Shaun Schofield, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed as always

Shaun

• Like 56

That is a fantastic looking Thud - I do like the Trumpy kit, builds really well and is a good size.

I really like the colours, I have not tried the Hataka Orange Line - can you say which particular colours that you used?

Cheers,

Phil

• Like 1

Your work is beautiful but something about the centerline fuel tank looks off. Having worked on the F-105G I don't recall the fins looking anything near like the ones in the Trumpeter kit and the tank itself appears to be too small. Someone who has experience with the F-105G during its combat years may be able to correct me. I worked on the airplane during its final years (late 70s to 1980).

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 8:31 AM, SAT69 said:

something about the centerline fuel tank looks off.

It took me some time to figure out what the issue was, and then more time to find a photo that showed the rear of the 450-gallon centerline external tank, I think the fins at the rear are supposed to be straight, and not swept back like the ones in the Trumpeter kit. I have attached a link to the best photo I could find of an F-105G that showed the tank fin arrangement. Does this help?

Mike

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/AGM-45_and_AGM-78B_on_F-105G.jpg 

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks for the kind words all, much appreciated :)

On 2/26/2021 at 9:23 AM, Doc72 said:

Very nice! I like the demarcation line between the camouflage colours. What did you use for masking?

Just the classic blu-tak sausages for the edges in filled with tape- nothing fancy!

23 hours ago, Booty003 said:

That is a fantastic looking Thud - I do like the Trumpy kit, builds really well and is a good size.

I really like the colours, I have not tried the Hataka Orange Line - can you say which particular colours that you used?

Cheers,

Phil

The colours are from Hataka's Orange Line Vietnam Era USAF Paint Set

HTK-C039 - FS 36622 Camouflage Grey

HTK-C012- FS 30219 Dark Tan
HTK-C-021 FS 34102 Medium Green
HTK-C016 FS 34079 Dark Green

21 hours ago, Toryu said:

Great! When will we see them all together?

Soon!

Thank again,

Shaun

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 72modeler said:

It took me some time to figure out what the issue was, and then more time to find a photo that showed the rear of the 450-gallon centerline external tank, I think the fins at the rear are supposed to be straight, and not swept back like the ones in the Trumpeter kit. I have attached a link to the ebst photo I could find of an F-105G that showed the tank fin arrangement. Does this help?

Mike

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/AGM-45_and_AGM-78B_on_F-105G.jpg 

While the very early F-105s carried 450 gallon centerline tanks, the later models carried 650 gallon centerlines. The fins on your model look like the kind that would have appeared on the early 450 gallon centerline tank.