1:48 Fairey Fulmar

Dunny

51 minutes ago, iang said:

Roger, two photos are reproduced in my book on FAA Camouflage and Markings 1937-41 (written using the pseudonym Stuart Lloyd). One of these is the IWM photo GB linked to, the other is one of three photos I have taken onboard Eagle, following a landing accident (one from the rear, two from the front). The aircraft is also the subject of a colour illustration in the book.  It's a while since the book was published (2008) and I'm thinking about the possibility of a new venture (hence the phrase in my post about 'another time'), but in brief: 

1. It is certain from the Eagle photos that this aircraft was not painted with black and white IFF markings. The entire under-surface was one colour (probably Sky).

2. The under-surface colour is the base for the 'spaghetti' markings on the cowl.

3. The 'spaghetti' markings do not extend very far chord-wise on the upper wings

4. Less clear-cut from these (and other 'spaghetti' Fulmar) photos is the base colour for these markings on the wings. In the book it is illustrated as the under-surface colour.  This would involve wrapping the under-surface colour over the upper-wing and then masking the lower wing at a similar position on the chord, before spraying the 'spaghetti' markings. A task possible at sea (probably in Alexandria harbour).  Since the publication of the book, Paul Lucas uncovered a statement in the Operational Record Book of the Repair and Maintenance Branch, HQ RAF ME, Cairo. "7.10.40 Appropriate units given procedure for camouflaging frontal portions of Hurricane aircraft (with V.84 followed by a light and irregular application of very pale blue and green)., in order to effect confusion and miscalculation of range by enemy gunners." V.84 is Aluminium, in pre-war nomenclature. So it is clear that on (most) 'spaghetti' Hurricanes the base colour was Aluminium.  Fulmars were not governed by the same (RAF command) painting instructions, but I've not found any Admiralty instructions relating to this scheme. It is possible that Fulmars were painted the same as Hurricanes. What is clear is that the base colour would need to be carried in naval stores, as 806, 803 and 805 RNAS all painted their Fulmars in this scheme at some point (all based on RN carriers at Alexandria, though 805 was shore based for some time), with considerable variation between different aircraft.  In my view this rules out light sand suggested by Special Hobby, but Aluminium paint would be carried in naval stores.  However, a study of the available 'spaghetti' Fulmar photos does not appear to support the idea of an Aluminium base coat. To me, the base coat looks like the under-surface colour. The book includes this nice close-up that appears to me to support this view:

99ce989f-f488-4b8d-a2aa-ee84676f5029.jpg

Notice how on this aircraft the 'spaghetti' mottle extends to the undercarriage doors. On some others, the mottle extends all the way down the fuselage sides, to a position aft of the wings.  806:G is a good example:

0c62f93a-669a-4c19-9276-fc6dbedc55d3.jpg

This photo provides further support the idea that the mottle was usually applied over the under-surface colour on Fulmars, though spinners and an area immediately behind the spinner appear on some aircraft  to be aluminium (as in 806:G above). In the case of N2015:7C, the spinners appears to be black in the IWM photo. By the time 7C was photographed on Eagle, the spinner is a light colour with a mottle. It is possible, of course, that these are two different 7C aircraft, as the serial is not readable on the Eagle photos, though all other details appear the same in both.

5. The colours of the 'spaghetti' mottle. This is also an unknown for Fulmars, but again the colours would need to be available in naval stores. The simplest method would be to use upper-surface colours, but in the absence of evidence of written instructions, any combination of colours from naval stores is possible, including mixes of roundel colours. 

HTH

IG

Ian,

Wow - that is awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - for sure you have enriched the collective's knowledge (and although the 'sand' colour may be off, I'm secretly quite pleased that my amateurish mottling looks about right!) I wish you the best of luck with the book and sincerely appreciate the contribution,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iang said:

Thanks. I wouldn't respray it either 😀

Not going to happen - my most complex paint scheme to date! I will sleep well in the knowledge that I have forged a path for others to model more accurately. Thanks once again...

• Like 1

Hi All,

A brief update on the Fulmar! Following @iang's revelation on the accuracy of the paint scheme (thanks once again for your contribution Ian!), I did briefly consider respraying the lower surfaces and 'sand' areas in Sky, which was the most probably correct underside colour for N2015 at this time. However, I decided that the likelihood of up-b*ggerage was high, and decided to push on as is. Here's the decals applied:

20210626-102517.jpg

I did have a drama with the port wing roundel which broke up, necessitating replacements for both from the spares box. The decals were very thin, and practically jumped off the backing paper. Following another gloss coat here's the Floried Fulmar:

20210626-105320.jpg

And here's a couple of shots after a flat coat:

20210626-110939.jpg

20210626-111110.jpg

20210626-111129.jpgn

Not looking too bad! That's all for the moment - it's my daughter's 10th birthday weekend, so family activities take precedence over bench time! (Although I do have a day off on Monday 😀)

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 3

Hi Roger

Oooooo the Fulmar looks wonderful.   I don't blame you at all for leaving as is.  Decals and wash look great .  Nearly complete fella.

I hope your Daughter has a great Birthday  and have a great bench day on Monday, I have done the same I was off yesterday and have Monday off too, wahoo!!!

Chris

• Thanks 1

I now have the same issue with Fulmar N1884/K I painted years ago with the collective thought at the time.  History is dynamic..

how much more wrong could I have got it....

37663697946_6d40af2665_c.jpg

I am not going to respray either.  Might replace in a few years time, once I have filled in other gaps in my collection..

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger

Oooooo the Fulmar looks wonderful.   I don't blame you at all for leaving as is.  Decals and wash look great .  Nearly complete fella.

I hope your Daughter has a great Birthday  and have a great bench day on Monday, I have done the same I was off yesterday and have Monday off too, wahoo!!!

Chris

Thanks Chris - had a big day but everyone in one piece! Enjoy the time off...

49 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I now have the same issue with Fulmar N1884/K I painted years ago with the collective thought at the time.  History is dynamic..

how much more wrong could I have got it....

37663697946_6d40af2665_c.jpg

I am not going to respray either.  Might replace in a few years time, once I have filled in other gaps in my collection..

Ah well, we can suffer together GB! That was my thought - 'next time'! Lovely finish though, even if it is wrong 😉

• Like 1

Hi All,

A little more progress on the Fulmar, between kids' 10th birthday celebrations and family gatherings! Although the shell ejector ports on the wings are detailed, they are not cut out:

20210627-111156.jpg

Rather than making a mess and hollowing them out, I just took the path of least resistance and painted them in:

20210627-121544.jpg

That'll look ok after a bit of cleaning up! Here's the rest of the underside once the undercarriage had been added:

20210627-121451.jpg

I painted in some exhaust staining, added some painted Tamiya tape over the gun ports, added the prop, and assorted other minor thingoes:

20210627-125305.jpg

Not far off now! I'll finish off the last few bits & bobs and post in RFI tomorrow!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh mate, that is looking fantastic,  only little bits left now, great job fella.  Now what's next in line to receive the Roger magic???

Chris

Chris,

Posted this one a couple of weeks ago, but nothing done to date. I think it may be a slow burner,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Lovely build of the Fulmar there bud. 

Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

3 minutes ago, Major Flannel said:

Now I have just the image resources to forward a Rareplane Fulmar vac up the build chain. Thank you for giving it a leg up, so to speak. Your build looks superb.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the kind words Major - much appreciated!

• Like 1