Airfix A6M2b Zero Aileron Balances

fishplanebeer

Hopefully the last question on my latest build, fingers crossed.

I have seen period pictures and also scale plans of the A6M2b which definitely show both wings having aileron balances even though they are not included in the Airfix kit. However I've also seen period pics and other scale plans of the type where they are completely absent so wondering why.

Presumably it means that I can opt either to include or exclude them, unless there is a particular reason for this apparent variation such as Mitsubishi versus Nakajima or something else?

Regards

Colin.

I think the external mass balances on the tops of the ailerons were done away with on the A6M5.  The A6M2 definitely had them.  I've seen a couple pics of A6M2s with larger external balances on the undersides of the ailerons, but those seem to be fairly rare.

SN

The above quote for largescaleplanes could read...."Beginning at the 127th aircraft produced, engineers added a protruding mass balance under each aileron. This feature was later deleted from the production line, starting with the 326th aircraft produced, following a fatal accident during a dive test in April 1941." From "Mitsubishi A6M Zero" by James D'Aangina

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just checked out the Large Scale Plans link and the information and detail is almost overwhelming so I'm just glad that I'm only building in 72nd scale. That said it's highlighted a few things that could be noticed/added such as the glass/perspex observation holes on the upper wing surfaces.

I'm still not sure about the tail wheel cover as the link for it is a dead end so I may omit this, and also the Airfix arrestor hook now seems to be quite crude and questionable so I may have to scratch build this instead using the Tamiya one as a guide.

Regards

Colin.