Tim's Special Hobby Baltimore - COMPLETED

theplasticsurgeon

Joining you with this Special Hobby 1/72 Martin Baltimore,

Sp-Hb-Baltimore.jpg

Martin Baltimore, first flew 14 June 1941. Twin engine medium bomber, with two Wright R-2600 engines. Operated with RAF and Fleet Air Arm, Australian, Canadian, South African Air Forces, Free French, Greek, Italian, and Turkey. Italian after they joined the Allies, and the Greek AF in exile.
The modelled aircraft operated from Gambut, Libya with 13 squadron Royal Hellenic Air Force, alongside and looking just like RAF Coastal Command.
The Baltimore was never operated by front-line US services. The narrow fuselage similar to that of the Maryland, Boston, and Hampden, was restrictive of movement, preventing crew-members assisting a wounded colleague - contributing to the aircraft being unpopular. 1575 aircraft were built, but none survive intact today.

The kit cost me £13.50 from Hannants, in 2002.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That is a big butt joint for the wings Tim, did you reinforce them in any way or do you have faith in your glue? It is all looking really good.

Steve. 

I'm a believer Steve.

• Haha 1

Many years ago I built both the Frog Baltimore and Maryland  - both interesting planes with decent performance but not something you come across very often. I am sure your Baltimore will be somewhat better than mine and it should build up into a rather nice looking plane.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Many years ago I built both the Frog Blatimore and Maryland  - both interesting planes with decent performance but not something you come across very often. I am sure your Baltimore will be somewhat better than mine and it should build up into a rather nice looking plane.

Cheers

Pete

There's something about those two machines that is attractive. They deserve more exposure ;). I particularly like the Maryland.

Martin

• Like 2

I seem to remember that one of the problems with the Frog kit was the rear upper turret - The Mk III had a Boulton and Paul Type A turret with 2x 0.303 and frames, whilst the Mk IIIA, IV and V (which Frog claim theirs is) had a frameless Martin 250 CE8 turret with 2 x 0.50 AFAIK.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

If I painted anything and then left it in my shed to dry, it would end up covered in spiders and insects! That is why I don't airbrush all that much. Oh for a decent "man cave".

Pete

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Decals, and starting the canopy frames.

DecalsP.jpg

13 Light Bomber Squadron,   Royal Hellenic Air Force.

DecalsS.jpg

Looking at photos of Baltimores, most of the nosecone isn't really frames that are painted.

Rather, flanges that are turned in and bolted together.

• Like 7