Canadian Armed Forces Low Viz decals 1/72 & 1/48

CharlieGolf2009

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help in finding CAF low visibility markings (roundels, flags, numbers, titles, etc).

I know that Arrow Graphics and Belcher Bits once had decal sheets just like that, but it seems they are long gone by now and out of production. Could anyone please give me a clue, or a hint, on where to find such decal sheets, since I have over half a dozen projects on standby due to the lack of them? Thank you all in advance. :) 

I found a these when I was looking for some Voodoo stuff a while back. Never did order so can't vouch for them. Not a huge selection in low vis but may be a start.

https://www.canmilair.com/ 

I have also come across some on Ebay but that of course is hit and miss. 

Edited by Tcoat
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

I found a these when I was looking for some Voodoo stuff a while back. Never did order so can't vouch for them. Not a huge selection in low vis but may be a start.

https://www.canmilair.com/ 

I have also come across some on Ebay but that of course is hit and miss. 

Thanks, I'm familiar with the site. Decals for scale models will be available soon as they say. 

On eBay just numbers - which I already have - hi viz flags and 1/48 roundels. Although not bad for starters, what I really needed was 1/72 especially for the Tracker and the peculiar Mi-17/CH-178.

In terms of the specific  aircraft you mentioned, it looks like you're out of luck.  CanMilAir  did offer sheets for the CH-178 and the last operational scheme worn by the CP-121 Tracker, but Bill closed up shop a few years ago and seeing as these were ALPS printed, they were printed on demand, so I doubt there's any surviving stock.  

I do agree though, we need some generic sheets ala ArrowGraphics in the various greys and black used for Canadian low-viz markings.  Also, let's not forget the full-colour national markings without the white.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, CharlieGolf2009 said:

Hello everyone. I'm looking for some help in finding CAF low visibility markings (roundels, flags, numbers, titles, etc).

I know that Arrow Graphics and Belcher Bits once had decal sheets just like that, but it seems they are long gone by now and out of production. Could anyone please give me a clue, or a hint, on where to find such decal sheets, since I have over half a dozen projects on standby due to the lack of them? Thank you all in advance. :) 

The rumours of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. Belcher Bits is still alive and kicking. Go to www.belcherbits.com. Oh, and by the way, when you are announcing to the world  that some business is 'long gone', check your facts first. Belcher Bits has never done a generic marking sheet as you describe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, belcherbits said:

Oh, and by the way, when you are announcing to the world  that some business is 'long gone', check your facts first. Belcher Bits has never done a generic marking sheet as you describe. 

Dear sir, you misunderstood me. What I was saying was that Belcher Bits' decal sheets are hard to come by, and by that I meant places like eBay, for instance. So I think there was no need for sarcasm, not towards me at least.

I do apologize though for not being aware of your website, and THAT'S on me. Although I consider myself fluent in English, it's not my native tongue however, so I'm prone to make mistakes once in a while. ;) 

Edited by CharlieGolf2009
  • Like 1

What airframe are you working on?

Leading Edge Models offers some CAF LV stuff.  However, right now they only offer a C-130H and a CF-188 multi pack.

V1 Decals offers two light grey C-130J-30 kits (50th and standard).

As far as other airframes.. those decals are near impossible to find now that Canuck has closed up shop..

• Thanks 1

On 01/03/2021 at 21:27, zibbit said:

What airframe are you working on?

Leading Edge Models offers some CAF LV stuff.  However, right now they only offer a C-130H and a CF-188 multi pack.

V1 Decals offers two light grey C-130J-30 kits (50th and standard).

As far as other airframes.. those decals are near impossible to find now that Canuck has closed up shop..

Specifically, I'll probably be looking for almost any current airframes with the recent change of title once again to RCAF/ARC. 😐

But when I posted here I was looking especially for the S-2 Tracker, the Mi-17V5 and the Chinook Foxtrot.

ChrlieGolf2009 …. With regards to generic sheets or airframe specific sheets (for that matter), I'm not aware of any AM sheets or kits offering the RCAF/ARC titles unless that's what zibbit was alluding to by the V1 Decal sheet he mentioned, that featured a 'standard CC-130J-30 scheme'. The best I can suggest at this point is using 4 black RCAF titles, with 2 of them being cut up to form the French titles ARC, along some suitably sized black markings to round out the remainder of the nat'l markings.

Scott

16 hours ago, Scott Hemsley said:

ChrlieGolf2009 …. With regards to generic sheets or airframe specific sheets (for that matter), I'm not aware of any AM sheets or kits offering the RCAF/ARC titles unless that's what zibbit was alluding to by the V1 Decal sheet he mentioned, that featured a 'standard CC-130J-30 scheme'. The best I can suggest at this point is using 4 black RCAF titles, with 2 of them being cut up to form the French titles ARC, along some suitably sized black markings to round out the remainder of the nat'l markings.

Scott

' Morning Scott!

Yeah, I've been searching through the internet, surfing eBay and sites like Belcher Bits, Leading Edge, etc, and found some decals that I can use to, somehow, work around these issues. CanMilAir hopefully will soon have more decals available, so with some luck and patience I'll be able to wrap this whole thing up. Thanks everybody for your help. ;) 

Edited by CharlieGolf2009
typo

CanMilAir hopefully will soon have more decals available, so with some luck and patience I'll be able to wrap this whole thing up.

According to the current CanMilAir site, there may be some hope for that.  We can only wish.

Scott

Just a word of caution with the old Arrow Graphics sheets. They do not age well once applied to the model. After a few years the adhesive turns into a dark golden brown colour which unfortunately I didn’t know about when I first used them. Of all  the other manufacturers decals I’ve ever used I’ve never had this issue before. I did a test model a couple years ago where I soaked some of Arrow Graphics spare decals in water and after I removed it from the backing I used a brush to wipe off all the adhesive. Then I applied the decals with future to the model and so far so good. 

Edited by cf18hornet
  • Thanks 1

I've a few 'aging' built-ups with some of the generic Arrow Graphics decals on them & I must admit … I've not experienced that problem.  I've still got quite a few of his generic sheets in the decal stash that do have a brownish hue on the clear film (I assume from age), but when I've used images from these sheets, I've found that brownish hue on the clear film has always cleared up. 

Scott