All the Mosquito questions etc

The wooksta V2.0

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I have an old Paragon resin Mosquito bulged bomb bay doors part

On what version of Mosquito can I use it?

You might want to quote the part number and scale, but AFAIK, the bulged bay was used introduced on the B.XVI,  to  allow a 4000lb 'cookie' to be carried.

I may be on on later versions, and be the modified for PR work.

I'll @The wooksta V2.0  as I'm not particularly knowledgeable on finer Mosquito details.     

That said I don't know if there is an accurate publication aimed at modellers available either which lists this info either.  

• Thanks 1

Some B.IVs were converted to carry the 4,000lb bomb, but you'd also need the larger elevators for the Sea Mosquito and PR34. Currently, there are none available. Not in 72nd anyway. Freightdog do a conversion in 48th for the PR34.

Some B.IXs had it too but I've not seen any photos to confirm. 

B.XVI, PR34, B35, TT35 and TT39 are your other options, but the latter is only served by a rough and long OOP Magna conversion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 24/08/2021 at 13:07, Black Knight said:

I have an old Paragon resin Mosquito bulged bomb bay doors part

On what version of Mosquito can I use it?

When I wrote that I had just remembered I had it but not what scale it was for

Now I've found it

1/72, part number 72035, for a Tamiya kit

Mosquito%20bulged%20bomb%20bay%2C%2001-L

• Like 1

Hi

don't forget some mosquito bulged bombay aircraft had four blade props 

i.e. 692 squadron at least

an old thread i started

link to photo 

http://aircrewremembered.com/morgan-john-perenera.html

of interest ?

the last aircraft in the line up might have black undersurfaces ?

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 2

On 24/08/2021 at 15:59, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Some B.IVs were converted to carry the 4,000lb bomb, but you'd also need the larger elevators for the Sea Mosquito and PR34. Currently, there are none available. Not in 72nd anyway. Freightdog do a conversion in 48th for the PR34.

Some B.IXs had it too but I've not seen any photos to confirm. 

B.XVI, PR34, B35, TT35 and TT39 are your other options, but the latter is only served by a rough and long OOP Magna conversion.

From what I know, the Paragon bulged bomb bay should be OK for the bomber variants listed and, by extension, the target tug versions. However, the bulge on the PR34 was larger than that on the bomber versions and was for a different purpose. The PR34's needed a bigger bulge to take c. 1,200 gallons of fuel, rather than a 4,000 lb bomb. Paragon seem to have muddied the water on this, at least in 1/48 scale, having released their bulged bomb bay (4874) and then marketing the same bulge with camera lens covers to stick on (4875). When I got the Freightdog PR34 conversion, I found its bulge was noticeably bigger than the Paragon one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

What I really want, is to find evidence of a Banff Mossie loaded like the one below, but an earlier airframe that had seen service during D-Day and still showing some remnants of the invasion stripes. A man can dream. :daydream:

As I've drawn a complete blank on that front, I think my subject will be RF610 as she's in the strike wing config I'd like to model, and there's a decent amount of interest in the EDSG uppers.

-biCtuaaPmIv4_IQJZe2l9lvFgQv8g4k8HtpXqvh

A 248 squadron MKVI build by Standard Motors, delivered late '44 or '45.

Looks like it's fitted with 100 gallon tanks (silver? they look brighter than if they were Sky. Aviaeology seem to depict silver/metal in their literature), and dual stack rocket rails.

I'm assuming it's EDSG over Sky, with serials showing on a background of the factory camo colours. Was there any upper stencil data re-applied other than the no-step panels over the rads?

Fuselage codes look to me like they are probably 24 inch (relative size to the serial)? DM-R overpainted as DM-H

For this period of Mk VI at Banff, does anyone know how the bomb bay would have been fitted-out? Would it have had just the small tanks in the rear of the bomb bay (did they carry bombs with this?), or would it have used the extra long-rage internal tank?

I read somewhere that some later production FB VIs had bulged side windows on the cockpit. Can't tell from this pic.

Anyone have any other useful reference/info ?

I started a Mosquito project a little over a year ago when I was able to get the the Airfix B.XVI. I proceeded to make a couple of major blunders with the fuselage so scrapped that plan and decided since the wing/engine parts had assembled without difficulties, I could graft those onto a Tamiya B.IV to produce an early B.IX without the bulged bay. The entire project was subsequently set aside when my interest switched to different projects. Those got finished and I returned to the Mossie, finishing all the camo painting last week. Since the Airfix wings would slide onto at least the forward spars of the Tamiya kit, I had left them off to make painting easier. Then disaster struck once again as one of the exhaust assemblies dislodged itself into the nacelle.

Now attempting once more to salvage something from this, I decided since I still had the entire Tamiya kit, I would simply finish it as a B.IV. This leads to my question, any idea when the rear wing tip formation light was removed and the RESIN light was added to the trailing edge? The recent Wing Leader publication points out this change on a photo of DZ599 taken in May 1943. My likely subjects are Oboe equipped and probably in the DK and DZ serial ranges

If you are concerned about this level of detail, check the Tamiya fin/rudder for height compared with your other kits.  I would also appreciate comment on the chord of the inner wing (i.e. how far to the radiators stick out ahead of the leading edge) on recent kits compared to the Tamiya one.  I haven't been back to my Mosquitos for a while, but recall the Tamiya kit as being an outrider in a number of ways.

Hi!

Banff Mosquitoes being also mine great interest.

I have understood EDSG/ Sky was modification applied over factory (or earlier) finish. Were the "No step" markings reapplied over radiators after the refinish? Or any stencilling?

IIRC so caveat. Airfix new XVI has radiator leading edge like Tamiya. Talking about 1/72 here. Have to check when back at home after a week or so. Appreciated if someone else can confirm (or not) this earlier.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio

14 hours ago, Matt_ said:

What I really want, is to find evidence of a Banff Mossie loaded like the one below, but an earlier airframe that had seen service during D-Day and still showing some remnants of the invasion stripes. A man can dream. :daydream:

As I've drawn a complete blank on that front, I think my subject will be RF610 as she's in the strike wing config I'd like to model, and there's a decent amount of interest in the EDSG uppers.

-biCtuaaPmIv4_IQJZe2l9lvFgQv8g4k8HtpXqvh

A 248 squadron MKVI build by Standard Motors, delivered late '44 or '45.

Looks like it's fitted with 100 gallon tanks (silver? they look brighter than if they were Sky. Aviaeology seem to depict silver/metal in their literature), and dual stack rocket rails.

I'm assuming it's EDSG over Sky, with serials showing on a background of the factory camo colours. Was there any upper stencil data re-applied other than the no-step panels over the rads?

Fuselage codes look to me like they are probably 24 inch (relative size to the serial)? DM-R overpainted as DM-H

For this period of Mk VI at Banff, does anyone know how the bomb bay would have been fitted-out? Would it have had just the small tanks in the rear of the bomb bay (did they carry bombs with this?), or would it have used the extra long-rage internal tank?

I read somewhere that some later production FB VIs had bulged side windows on the cockpit. Can't tell from this pic.

Anyone have any other useful reference/info ?

The 100gal drop tank and tiered rocket rails were fitted to 143, 235 and 248 squadron Mosquitos at Banff between 4 and 7 March 1945. Some aircraft flew without the rockets for flak suppression.

The last of the invasion stripe markings (under fuselage) were removed / overpainted by the end of 1944.

If you want rockets and under fuselage invasion markings then you are looking at the period Nov/Dec 1944. Then it is no drop tanks and 8 rails.

It isn’t so much concern about a rather small detail,(RESIN lights), but what I’m hoping to avoid is fitting any more itty-bitty clear part wingtip lights as possible. I ended using UV curing clear resin for Beaufort lights when I botched the kit parts. Since the Tamiya kit radiator  area matches Airfix’s and was not considered a goof on Airfix’s part, I’m calling that good and have already addressed the fin/rudder.

Edited by Chuck1945
Add a missing “not”

15 minutes ago, EwenS said:

The last of the invasion stripe markings (under fuselage) were removed / overpainted by the end of 1944.

If you want rockets and under fuselage invasion markings then you are looking at the period Nov/Dec 1944. Then it is no drop tanks and 8 rails.

Thanks @EwenS That was my understanding too. Maybe some day an old photo may emerge with that one exception I'm dreaming of. :fingerscrossed:

Do you know anything about the fuel tanks or canopy?

For the canopy, I know the 1/32 Tamiya kit has the canopy in multiple parts in order to allow the depiction of the blown side panels. Their callouts have LR303 and A52-518 (HR460) with the bulges, HX922 without.

There is a clear picture of A52-518 fitted as such - though that's post the end of the war in Europe after it was shipped to Aus.

JhuulFQxHEDcjMAeJfhPCL8Oplvrm2a6u_oB-KCg

I can't find a clear picture either way for LR303 or HX922

All those airframes were all built mid to late 43. HR460 is a Standard, HX922 and LR303 are Hatfield. So doesn't look specific to location.

I guess I may just have to pick one.

I'm even less clear about the internal tank setup. 🤔

On 11/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, Chuck1945 said:

It isn’t so much concern about a rather small detail,(RESIN lights), but what I’m hoping to avoid is fitting any more itty-bitty clear part wingtip lights as possible. I ended using UV curing clear resin for Beaufort lights when I botched the kit parts. Since the Tamiya kit radiator  area matches Airfix’s and was considered a goof on Airfix’s part, I’m calling that good and have already addressed the fin/rudder.

I'm not much help but the resin lights were introduced via Mod #146. I don't have a copy and so have no date for you. However, with over 1600 mods for the Mosquito, that's a pretty early change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimea River said:

I'm not much help but the resin lights were introduced via Mod #146. I don't have a copy and so have no date for you. However, with over 1600 mods for the Mosquito, that's a pretty early change.

As it turns out, the Tamiya B.IV kit the alternate wing tips intended for use with the FB.VI have the RESIN stubs so I’m going with those. Thanks for mod reference.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:55 AM, Matt_ said:

Thanks @EwenS That was my understanding too. Maybe some day an old photo may emerge with that one exception I'm dreaming of. :fingerscrossed:

Do you know anything about the fuel tanks or canopy?

For the canopy, I know the 1/32 Tamiya kit has the canopy in multiple parts in order to allow the depiction of the blown side panels. Their callouts have LR303 and A52-518 (HR460) with the bulges, HX922 without.

There is a clear picture of A52-518 fitted as such - though that's post the end of the war in Europe after it was shipped to Aus.

JhuulFQxHEDcjMAeJfhPCL8Oplvrm2a6u_oB-KCg

I can't find a clear picture either way for LR303 or HX922

All those airframes were all built mid to late 43. HR460 is a Standard, HX922 and LR303 are Hatfield. So doesn't look specific to location.

I guess I may just have to pick one.

I'm even less clear about the internal tank setup. 🤔

@Matt_

I can't help with info on the canopies fitted to HX922 or LR303 but the bulged side panel was fitted to all FB.VI A/C shipped to Australia. They arrived that way - it was not a local mod.

Note that it is bulged side panel, not side panels. The bulged panel was only fitted on the Navigator's side.

Two views of A52-518, (HR460), below. Both shots taken on same date.

3e2e7d6b-49ad-40c2-b4d7-aba2c4bdebc9.jpg  

45fe3d7a-79cc-4c06-ba60-1967f4cf55ea.jpg

And this shot of A52-506, (HR281), shows both sides of canopy in same shot.

1828329d-ae3c-4ddb-9594-51ab13a075bf.jpg

So, it would appear that asymmetric is also possible.

Peter M 

• Like 2

@Magpie22 Thanks Peter. Interesting about the asymmetry. I didn't spot that in the Tamiya 1/32 instructions, but they do have it represented as such.

I've just had another look through my books, and the Valiant Wings book has a drawing denoted as from the FBVI flight manual with both sides bulged. Caption says "later version". Next to it is is photo of flat-sided FBVI marked "earlier". There is also a drawing denoted as from from the FB26 manual that calls out only the starboard side as bulged.

None of the 1/48 aftermarket canopies I'm aware of have the asymmetric setup.

Not RF610, but I found a nice pic of RF608 and there is no bulge on the port side (given everything is covered in snow, I'm guessing it's probably Banff, though I don't have operational record for 608). In lieu of anything more concrete, and given bulge is not clearly apparent in any shot I have of Rf610, I think I'll probably go with that. If for no other reason than the Taurus canopy is like that and it's the best one. 😅

AL9nZEVPnHQ3IuvQGusgY03avFvKaiY9-o8Pvdyb

Edited by Matt_

The Spartan B35 air survey mosquitoes had a fully blown transparent nose without the normally seen flat section. Anyone know whether these were obtained as a standard issue for another mark number or made as  a unique 'in house' modification?

On 11/16/2022 at 12:11 PM, Graham Boak said:

...  I would also appreciate comment on the chord of the inner wing (i.e. how far to the radiators stick out ahead of the leading edge) ...

recall the Tamiya kit as being an outrider in a number of ways..."

Back home, I measured Airfix 1/72 Mosquito B.XVI (A04023) and Tamiya FB Mk.VI/ NF Mk.II (60747) wing inner chord. Tamiya is wider by 0.06 mm (0.002 inch) or so! Upwards rounded measurement 57.3 mm for both. In the inner chord sense Tamiya is not alone any more.

The wing planform otherwise is also near identical. To me, at least.

Cheers, 

Kari

On 11/26/2022 at 5:50 PM, gunzo said:

The Spartan B35 air survey mosquitoes had a fully blown transparent nose without the normally seen flat section. Anyone know whether these were obtained as a standard issue for another mark number or made as  a unique 'in house' modification?

Pretty sure it was a Spartan-designed mod. It may have been mentioned as such in one of the Department of Transport documents I scanned. 

7 hours ago, Crimea River said:

Pretty sure it was a Spartan-designed mod.

That's what I thought but I recently came across a picture in a book I was leafing through of a post war RAF camo finished Mosquito with a  similar 'full blown' nose. Of course its possible that it was a mod sourced from Spartan. I cannot recall the exact details but it was either a PR type or (possibly PR) trainer.

• 2 weeks later...

For those anxiously awaiting info on this topic, further research & discussion with Crimea River reveals the full blister Mosquito was specifically a Mk PR34A and seems to have been unique in this regard, Whilst being a similar profile  to the Spartan modded nose it featured a navigation light which the latter did not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mosquito DK333. I’m about to finish this from the 1/72 Tamiya kit using Eagle Editions decals for DK333, 109 Sqd. This was an Oboe equipped unit but all the models I’ve seen (a Google search returned profiles and models, no actual aircraft photos) do not have the Oboe antenna installed…  This has been a self induced tortuous project lasting over a year from what initially started as B XIV from the Airfix kit, morphed into a B. IX and ultimately became the B. IV do I really just want to call it complete. Whether or not to add the Oboe antenna is, hopefully, the final decision point.