All the Mosquito questions etc

The wooksta V2.0

Warning to the wise. The aircraft on the recent Xtradecal Mosquito sheet purporting to be a B.XXV is actually an NF.XIX. I found a photo of it and whilst the caption says it's a B.XXV, the serial is in a production block of night fighters and closer examination of the photo clearly showed the larger radar nose. Finally, it should have the larger tropical intakes.

Here's a Q I have: What was the radio setup for the T. III trainer? I suspect that Gee wasn't fitted, because it wouldn't be needed, a map would suffice, nor the long distance TR1154/5 morse sets familiar from the Lancaster etc. Some kind of voice system, to talk to air tragic would be useful. VHS? Just what was behind those seats? Anyone got a pic please? 

10 hours ago, Ossington said:

Here's a Q I have: What was the radio setup for the T. III trainer? I suspect that Gee wasn't fitted, because it wouldn't be needed, a map would suffice, nor the long distance TR1154/5 morse sets familiar from the Lancaster etc. Some kind of voice system, to talk to air tragic would be useful. VHS? Just what was behind those seats? Anyone got a pic please? 

I happen to have a copy of AP2019C Volume I covering the T.III. According to this descriptive manual, radio equipment consisted solely of a T.R. 1133E or G, with blind approach and an R.3078 (IFF), operated in conjunction with an intercom unit. The transmitter/receiver and power units were both mounted in the fuselage interior aft of the wing and so were not visible in the cockpit. A push button controller for the T/R was mounted under the throttle.

The beam approach aerial and amplifier were also in the rear fuselage. Sorry but no pics.

Edited by Crimea River
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank You for that. I was musing a T.III conversion on the 1/24th kit. Something silver and yellow bands, or silver and dayglo stripes  if I can find photographic proof that RR299, the Bae Mosquito, ever carried them. ( Coded HT-E, RR299 was the airshow stalwart until it crashed in July 1996.)

Cockpit photos of the above machine are common, but not the area behind. Was it just bare? 

Pretty much, yes. Just the typical junction boxes and cables and a controller for the A.R.I. 5010 IFF tucked in on the starboard side fuselage wall about half way along the wing deck. I have a very grainy cutaway but don't have a photo hosting service so if you would like a scan of the area, PM me with your email address.

On 27/02/2021 at 09:32, Ossington said:

Thank You for that. I was musing a T.III conversion on the 1/24th kit. Something silver and yellow bands, or silver and dayglo stripes  if I can find photographic proof that RR299, the Bae Mosquito, ever carried them. ( Coded HT-E, RR299 was the airshow stalwart until it crashed in July 1996.)

Cockpit photos of the above machine are common, but not the area behind. Was it just bare? 

It was in silver with yellow bands when it was with 204 Advanced Flying School at Brize Norton in the late 40s, coded FMO-B with a black line above the B.  Post war type D markings, it has the larger tropical intakes under the engine and the leading edge landing light. Damaged on landing 19/12/49.  Later seen in the same scheme sans Sqn codes whilst with the Home Command Examining Unit in 1957. Later went to overall aluminium scheme when purchased by HSA. 

As an alternate option, FB.6 RS625 was with 204 AFS, coded FMO-V, at Driffield in March 49 in the same silver and yellow scheme, again with tropical filters and leading edge landing light. 

Ref: De Havilland Mosquito An Illustrated History volume 2 by Ian Thirsk.  Crecy Publishing Ltd. Well worth the cost!

7 minutes ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Ref: De Havilland Mosquito An Illustrated History volume 2 by Ian Thirsk.  Crecy Publishing Ltd. Well worth the cost!

Yes it abso-flipping-lutely is well worth the price! If you can only have one book on Mossies, this should be the one.

Mark. 

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 9:32 AM, Ossington said:

Here is a photo of RR299 in the standard silver/yellow bands

https://www.key.aero/article/towing-line

Trevor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ossington said:

This is the most I've got to go on. A scan from the corner of a printed image:

https://imgur.com/qspRZVV

Surely someone out there have a better picture?

Failing that, other possible contenders: again I need crash photos, are of T.III's VA892 and LR520, both came to grief landing at Wigsley in 1951.  

Not convinced that the dayglo one is RR299, looks to be another TT.35 which did carry dayglo.

Quick t'interweb search turned this up:

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/De Havilland DH.98 Mosquito TIII

Lots of other photos there too.

I'm looking for a photo of any of the FB.6 aircraft operated by 8 squadron around 46/47. Got a photo of the T.III, just want an FB to go with it.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
Felt like it...

"Not convinced that the dayglo one is RR299, looks to be another TT.35 which did carry dayglo."

Alas, you could be right. Another project stalled before the box is opened. Always nice to hope though. I will try to locate when and where the photo was taken for a wide angle view.

On 26/02/2021 at 13:17, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Warning to the wise. The aircraft on the recent Xtradecal Mosquito sheet purporting to be a B.XXV is actually an NF.XIX. I found a photo of it and whilst the caption says it's a B.XXV, the serial is in a production block of night fighters and closer examination of the photo clearly showed the larger radar nose. Finally, it should have the larger tropical intakes.

Have to say its not the first time there have been erroneous captions on Xtradecal sets.

1 hour ago, Lawzer said:

I've got a mossie question.

The yellow discs on the pilot / navigators seat backs - wot they for?

On the Lanc they denote that it’s armour plating so I’d guess it’s the same here.

Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

On the Lanc they denote that it’s armour plating so I’d guess it’s the same here.

Trevor

perfect - cheers!!

I always wondered what they were for.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Q: Spoked wheel hubs... only on left (port) side of the hub... or both sides?  I notice Tamiya and many aftermarket sets only seem to have two hubs included and I can't find anything relating to this anywhere else on the web or in any books I have.

1 hour ago, J.C. Bahr said:

Q: Spoked wheel hubs... only on left (port) side of the hub... or both sides?  I notice Tamiya and many aftermarket sets only seem to have two hubs included and I can't find anything relating to this anywhere else on the web or in any books I have.

A good question and one that is often overlooked or mistaken in model form. Spoked hubs only face one way with plain hubs on the other side. From what I’ve seen spoked hubs only exist on early Mark Mosquitoes (up to Mk.IV) later versions have plain hubs on both sides. Early Meteors are very similar too. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J.C. Bahr said:

It's not a question of whether they have spoked or plain hubs, it's a question of whether you can see the wheel hub or not.

Early Mosquito's had one brake drum on the starboard side of each wheel, on this side all you can see is the outer fixed portion of the brake, you can't see the wheel hub at all. On the port side you can see the rotating spoked wheel hub

Later Mosquitos had two brake drums, one on each side of the wheel, on this installation you can't see the wheel hubs at all, all you can see is the  outer fixed portion of the brake on each side.

If you've got a photo of the port side of a Mosquito you can determine whether is has single or twin brake drums, if you're looking at the starboard side you can't.

• Like 6