1/48 Hawker Fury I

wellsprop

Hi all,

I'm still waiting for Anycubic to deliver my replacement printer parts, so I've been tackling some kits in my stash. Continuing my Hawker collection, I bought an Airfix Fury Mk I (the re-boxing of the ancient tooling) - one look at the kit and I thought I could do better. I've also had a huge amount of CATIA training for my job in the past few weeks, so I've become more proficient.

Here's what I've managed since Saturday...

1/48 Hawker Fury CAD

1/48 Hawker Fury CAD

I'm thinking of upgrading to an Elegoo Saturn anyway as it will allow me to print the wings (upper/lower) as one part, which will be much easier to build and give a nicer finish!

Cheers,
Ben

• Like 9

And here's the main parts breakdown.

Parts Breakdown

I've learnt how to create parts that automatically update from the main CAD model, so any change I make is automatically carried across the individual parts that have been split up front printing - my plan is to buy a new printer as it will allow me to print the wings complete.

As can be seen, there are only 6 main parts. To follow are; undercarriage (struts and wheels), interplane struts, prop, cockpit and radiator. That's pretty much all there is to it!

Ben

• Like 5

And here's the last one for today, I've sectioned the forward fuselage to show the (somewhat basic) cockpit - as it's so small, I think the level of detail is satisfactory.

Sectioned

Also, a thanks to @hendie for some hints on the wing/fuselage tape/ribs, take a look at hendie's brilliant Wapiti build!

• Like 3

On 25/02/2021 at 12:14, wellsprop said:

I bought an Airfix Fury Mk I (the re-boxing of the ancient tooling) - one look at the kit and I thought I could do better.

The Airfix kit has an interesting legacy,  it was originally made for Merit (I presume in the 60's) and never issued, and was picked up by Airfix, tweaked a bit and then issued with their original series of 1/48th kits in the late 70's (Spitfire Vb, Bf109 F-4, Hurricane Mk.I, Ju-87-B2, Mosquito FB.VI)

Did you ever see the Inpact/Lifelike/Pyro/Lindberg Fury?   Very net surface detail,  but apparently a bit short. maybe worth offering a fuselage only, as upgrade, as there are plenty of the above in stashes.  They were noted for having excellent fabric effect.  

You may find this an interesting read

Also,  look into doing some of the foreign Fury's,  these have different engines, and a catilver undercarriage, (like the Gladiator)  so probably easy enough to tweak the CAD.    I'd need to check references to refresh my memory, but I did have a drawing of Spanish Fury somewhere. 

You could also look at doing the Osprey,  which uses the Fury fuselage with a new wing. 

HTH

• Like 1

@Troy Smith I've been very confused by all the different kits of the Fury!

I've managed to get some drawings which show all the different variants including the Spanish version and the radial version (much uglier than the sleek mk I). 

The osprey has a longer fuselage and greater wingsoan than the Fury - isn't it a navalised Hart (not Fury). I would love one for my collection but the AMG kit is a bit pricey!

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Just out of curiosity what would you consider charging for one of these in 1/48 ? 

Im not sure what I intend to do going forward, however (as you may have read on my 1/48 Fairey IIIF thread)... 

Currently my printer is broken so I can't print anyway but I am looking to get a new (larger) 3D printer which would allow me to print quicker and in fewer parts.

As a rough guide, the Fairey IIIF in 48th is(was) £60. This is quite a bit smaller and I could potentially print it in only 1 or 2 prints (not 8). I would have a guess at £40 (including postage). 

However, I still need to buy a new 3D printer and get it working. On top of that, I only started selling 3d printed models as working from home meant I wasn't commuting. I've got a new job where I will be back to commuting (I'll be going up in the helicopters and testing them!), so I'm really not sure what that will mean for selling models!

Despite this, if the new larger printer means fewer indivudal prints and less time printing, then I don't see why I can't sell a few - watch this space! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm calling this one done.

I've got much quicker designing, this has taken less than 2 weeks!

Complete1

Complete2

Admittedly I still have some very minor detailing left to do...

Hopefully I can get my hands on a larger printer soon!

Ben

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

How about selling the stl file only and leave the printing to the buyer? There are quite a lot of sites offering this, like etsy, CGtrader etc. Having a printer myself I prefer this route. It helps to reduce the noise, when I wreck a part ;-)

• Like 1

Something to consider in your Fury/Hart planning is the excellent AMG Hawker Hart kit already has in the sprues the wider upper wing center section and the cut down gun position coaming needed to make the kit into a Demon. It only lacks the 2nd gun trough in the nose. AMG will likely release other Hart family variants in the future. Several years back John Adam's posted on how to correct both the Airfix and Impact kits to make them much more accurate, and I also somewhere have an article on how to make an even more accurate Fury by kitbasking the two kits together which I recall involved slicing the nose off one kit and grafting it onto the other. You can also make an Osprey fairly simply by sacrificing a second Fury kit to get the necessary additional wing section to make the wider wings. You just need to fabricate the pilot's headrest. 

Edited by bjohns5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/04/2021 at 14:13, Caerbannog said:

How about selling the stl file only and leave the printing to the buyer? There are quite a lot of sites offering this, like etsy, CGtrader etc. Having a printer myself I prefer this route. It helps to reduce the noise, when I wreck a part 😉

I thought about it, but I'm not too keen on the idea of releasing the 3d models in any format as I effectively lose control of them if they are made available online. 

• Like 2

On 12/04/2021 at 22:54, wellsprop said:

I thought about it, but I'm not too keen on the idea of releasing the 3d models in any format as I effectively lose control of them if they are made available online. 

Yes - I think one could earn a lot of money with a solution for this. Personally I buy quite a few things on CGtrade and such and I would not pass those files on, but the web is full of data with questionable ownership... The other issue I have with those files on CGTrader and else is that adjectives like "detailed", "acurate" and such have a very broad meaning obviously :-) But that is another story.

• 2 years later...
On 5/31/2023 at 12:34 AM, 2996 Victor said:

just wondering if the Fury ever progressed?

Probably not worth continuing since AMG just announced they are releasing a new mold 1/48 Hawker Fury I as a follow-on to their excellent Hawker Hart and Demon kits.

Edited by bjohns5
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, bjohns5 said:

Probably not worth continuing since AMG just announced they are releasing a new mold 1/48 Hawker Fury I as a follow-on to their excellent Hawker Hart and Demon kits.

Thanks - I'd completely missed that :facepalm: I must get out from under my rock more often :D 

Cheers,

Mark