Who is Len and why is he so Amorous? and He's brought a Little Friend - Airfix 1/72 P51-D Mustang & 1/72 Messerschmitt Me262A-1A

AliGauld

1 minute ago, Spookytooth said:

Shiny shiny Alistair.

I have used Alcad 2 on some builds, sprayed in light coats then left to dry for a while before sealing with a gloss coat of varnish.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

I'm using Xtreme metals for the fuselage and Alclad2 For the wings.

I'll give that a go when I finish my stint at work.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

On 3/1/2021 at 4:01 AM, AliGauld said:

Thanks very much.

Not sure about how soon I'll finish, but I'll try to keep it moving.

Cheers,

Alistair

Well, you almost got yours finished before I could start my Mustang, but yesterday I stopped procrastinating and actually made some progress! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Well, you almost got yours finished before I could start my Mustang, but yesterday I stopped procrastinating and actually made some progress! 

Will we be seeing a WiP?

• Like 1

This morning I did some masking and then sprayed some white.

kykyae0.jpg

L3D07kF.jpg

7Q3SfNE.jpg

Zun6Bve.jpg

The stripes are nowhere near perfect in close-up but look good from 12" away and I don't think the real things would have been anything like pin-stripe and pristine.

That's my excuse\justification and I'm sticking to it.

I'll let that dry and then it's off to polished aluminium for the fuselage.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

Some more masking.

3JpUnR6.jpg

72cYgpc.jpg

CZMqksq.jpg

WYE48Og.jpg

And then some Polished Aluminium.

bMxsqEB.jpg

DbB2xwt.jpg

And I'm not certain what happened in the middle here, I might have been a bit heavy handed there, but I'll leave it to dry and try and polish it up.

fG5YD9k.jpg

Overall reasonably chuffed with the finish. It's a lot more shiny than the photos show.

Thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

Well I'm a little annoyed at the moment.

Some cellulose thinners got knocked over in the kitchen by my son. My fault for leaving the top off whilst I took a call.

He cleaned everything up but didn't get the thinners which had gone on to the kit.

When I got back in the Mustang was a blob of barely recognisable plastic.

I had a look and it had to go in the bin.

I swore I'd never do this but it simply wasn't fixable.

Going to calm down a bit and then decide what to do next.

I will revisit this in the future.

Sorry Folks,

Cheers,

Alistair

• Sad 10

41 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh mate, sorry to hear about the model Alistair.  What a shame. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris,

I've cooled down a tad now and realised that Didactulus was right. "Stuff Happens. What the Hell."

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 7

Glad to see you are getting over it. It’s a real kick in the teeth when it happens. I know as have been there too. Best thing is go back with a new kit by way of a treat to yourself and do it again. I bet you even make a better job second time round. Per Ardua ad Astra as they say 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Glad to see you are getting over it. It’s a real kick in the teeth when it happens. I know as have been there too. Best thing is go back with a new kit by way of a treat to yourself and do it again. I bet you even make a better job second time round. Per Ardua ad Astra as they say 

Thanks very much.

I'm going to give the Mustang some space but I will revisit it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

Just now, Alan P said:

Oh, no!

These things happen, I expect the lad isn't feeling too good about it either.

Will be looking out for the Sea Venom 👍

He's a bit gutted. I've tried to tell him that it certainly wasn't his fault, but mine. It's not working particularly well though.

Thanks for that though.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Alistair,

I'm so sorry to hear this, that is such a shame :( hope your young lad is okay, as well - I know my boys would be absolutely beside themselves if they damaged anything :(

Cellulose is a bit of a bugger with plastic - I remember as a youngster buying some lovely new paintbrushes, but they had nylon bristles. My Dad was in the motor trade, an absolute expert body repair man and sprayer, and in those days celly was the paint of choice. I asked him to wash the brushes, which he did and they were fine because he knew what he was doing. But I asked for some thinners to keep the brushes clean, and guess what? I left my lovely brushes soaking until they were basically just sticks! :D 

Looking forward to seeing your next go with the Airfix Mustang, and in the meantime I'll be following your Sea Venom.

Give your lad a hug, and have a dram of Glenmorangie!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3

Oh B****r Alistair, as you said hit happens.

I can remember putting an I.P. in some cellulose thinners to clean of some over zealous priming and forgot about it.

Came back to a totally dissolved IP.

Well , onto the next build mate.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Alistair,

I'm so sorry to hear this, that is such a shame :( hope your young lad is okay, as well - I know my boys would be absolutely beside themselves if they damaged anything :(

Cellulose is a bit of a bugger with plastic - I remember as a youngster buying some lovely new paintbrushes, but they had nylon bristles. My Dad was in the motor trade, an absolute expert body repair man and sprayer, and in those days celly was the paint of choice. I asked him to wash the brushes, which he did and they were fine because he knew what he was doing. But I asked for some thinners to keep the brushes clean, and guess what? I left my lovely brushes soaking until they were basically just sticks! :D

Looking forward to seeing your next go with the Airfix Mustang, and in the meantime I'll be following your Sea Venom.

Give your lad a hug, and have a dram of Glenmorangie!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I've calmed him a bit and now that I've cut plastic on the Venom I can see his mood lightening,

Some of Tain's finest will be savoured this evening.

16 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

Oh B****r Alistair, as you said hit happens.

I can remember putting an I.P. in some cellulose thinners to clean of some over zealous priming and forgot about it.

Came back to a totally dissolved IP.

Well , onto the next build mate.

Simon.

Thanks Simon,

I've shaken it off now.

It's just plastic.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 4

Sorry to hear about the accident Ali but kudos to the youngster for clearing up - I bet that will be one of those 'learning moments' for him :) 

I must admit to several of these with my girls and I hope you were able to keep calm. If so, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Sorry to hear about the accident Ali but kudos to the youngster for clearing up - I bet that will be one of those 'learning moments' for him :) 

I must admit to several of these with my girls and I hope you were able to keep calm. If so, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

I managed to keep fairly calm. 

He was reaching for some acetone as he was removing paint from his custom wrestling figure and knocked it over. Totally an accident and I should have known better than to leave the can open.

He's ok now as he finally believes that I don't blame him at all.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3

Good man!

(Both of you that is)

I found my (rare) outbursts and the subsequent effects on the kids to be one of the hardest things to handle.

Character forming I reckon, for all involved!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, CedB said:

Good man!

(Both of you that is)

I found my (rare) outbursts and the subsequent effects on the kids to be one of the hardest things to handle.

Character forming I reckon, for all involved!

Thanks,

I very rarely kick off at home but I always feel incredibly guilty about the effect on others.

I've learned through my work just to take that mental step backwards, scan the situation and start the plan to resolve it.

Doesn't always work of course. :D

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

At least you still have the decals. And the Airfix P-51D kn 72nd can be found cheaply in the UK, so you can give this another try in the future.

Absolutely, If I'd been further on it could have been so much worse.

I've got a couple more Aldi Airfix Mustangs in the cupboard so we're sorted for the future.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2