Revell 1/72 Avro Shackleton - WL747 "Florence" 8 Squadron RAF Lossiemouth 1979

Lovely to see it finished to this standard. The weathering is well balanced and not overdone - iirc these airframes were regularly washed down with fresh water to remove salt and reduce corrosion, so didn't get too filthy. The access ladder also adds to the realism and appeal. Fine job.

Congrats, Ali.

Q

• Thanks 1

Just now, Dr. Quack said:

Lovely to see it finished to this standard. The weathering is well balanced and not overdone - iirc these airframes were regularly washed down with fresh water to remove salt and reduce corrosion, so didn't get too filthy. The access ladder also adds to the realism and appeal. Fine job.

Congrats, Ali.

Q

Thank you so much.

They were kept pretty clean as an anti-corrosion measure, as you say.

I was trying to just enhance the detail without dirtying her up.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

At the risk of repeating everyone else's comments - she is a beauty!  Love what you've done with her 👍  One question - how did you do the HF aerials?  Tempted to do that for mine..

Al.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

At the risk of repeating everyone else's comments - she is a beauty!  Love what you've done with her 👍  One question - how did you do the HF aerials?  Tempted to do that for mine..

Al.

Thanks so much.

For the aerials I used Uschi Van Der Rosten* high stretch elastic rigging. On this one I used the Fine grade as the normal Superfine for 1/72 is almost invisible and I wanted these to be seen.

The way I do it is to touch a very small amount of CA superglue to the Fin Tips then holding a cut length of the rigging in tweezers, dip the end in some CA Accelerator and touch it to the Fin Tip.

I usually let that settle for a while then a very small amount of CA on the other attachment point and then hold the other end dipped in accelerator stretch slightly and hold against the attachment point.

If you get unlucky it will not hold but just repeat until it does.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Alistair

* Other vendors of stretchy rigging stuff are available.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Again, great job on the Grey Lady, Alistair!

Best Regards,

Jason

Thanks very much Jason. Appreciated.

44 minutes ago, dolphin38 said:

Magnificent looking Shack, really should start on mine :thumbsup:

Thank you. Go for it it's fun.

38 minutes ago, Ruskin Air Services said:

Hmmm very nice indeed, top marks Ali. I'm tempted to buy a one and build it between my lancaster and dakota builds

Thanks very much.

It's a fun kit and looks good when finished.

30 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Outstanding results Alistair!!!!!!! :like:  I really enjoyed the story behind the project as much as the subject itself.  :goodjob:

Mike

Thanks so much.

It's half the reason I started building again so I could build the planes I flew in.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 2

A beautiful model of the old lady, and one to be proud of.  The finish is particularly good, and it matches my memories (including from a flight in one too)

Regards

Tim

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TimB said:

A beautiful model of the old lady, and one to be proud of.  The finish is particularly good, and it matches my memories (including from a flight in one too)

Regards

Tim

Thanks very much. You're too kind.

Cheers,

Alistair

The Shack is back! After masking and painting all those prop stripes, I'm guessing the rest of the build was a piece of cake! (Hey, that sounds like a good title for a mini series!) Seriously, your model is a beaut, and I can't add anything to what has already been said except to say "Ditto!"

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Thanks 1