Islander : Airfix 1/72 : Aurigny : Jersey Airport Diorama.

LaurieS

14 minutes ago, Tornadofairy said:

I flew in an Islander of Aurigny, from Southampton to Cherbourg in 1973; then many years later I worked for four months on Alderney and flew in the Trilander. The island was fog bound for the first two days the flight was attempted, we got used to, "Oh well, please return to the airport at 7:30am tomorrow" after we landed. At least I got three trips in a Trilander before I stepped foot on Alderney! Nowadays I volunteer with the NCI as a Watchkeeper at the Needles, so the cliffs mentioned earlier would be the ones in Scratchells Bay. Our station is on top of those and we are at 425 feet when on watch, so he would have to pull up a lot more than he is doing....lol. Of course there is an allowance for artistic licence, but I could nit-pick about several things in the illustration.... Still, it is much better that the Valom 1/48 Islander's box-lid, where the Isle of Wight is a very peculiar shape indeed.

The Islander is in my stack, ready to be finished as G-AXWR to remember that flight getting on for 50 years ago... Thanks for jogging my memory.

One thing is certain my Islander will be in Jersey.

Been to Alderney once. Rained all day. Hired a car. Went 3 times around the Island & repeated going the otherway.

Got in Trilander to do back. Told hang on a Trislander has landed & skidded halway across the runway. What a day.

Laurie

56 minutes ago, dolphin38 said:

Britten Norman now have a facility at Solent Airport Lee on the Solent, one of their most recent completions was also for the Channel Islands.

Britten-Norman BN-2 Islander 2-CIAS by Phillip Wilmshurst, on Flickr

Great work on the Islander

Thanks for that info dolphin. Very insteresting.

The Old Airsearch aircraft crashed sometime ago. They hired one in the interim.

Laurie

Coming along nicely Laurie. The yellow finish looks top notch.

We are enjoying Easter at home in sparkling Autumn weather. About 25 degrees and clear blue skies. It’s a long weekend and the start of 2 weeks school holidays and hundreds of thousands of Aussies are on the roads travelling to local holiday spots. Many would normally go to Bali or Thailand or cruise the South Pacific but that’s not an option now. We do our travelling in between school holidays - much less congested.

The pandemic control has been first class here but unfortunately the vaccine rollout has been a complete cock up so far. Federal and State governments blaming each other and no one actually in charge. 
Hope all is well in your part of the world.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Coming along nicely Laurie. The yellow finish looks top notch.

We are enjoying Easter at home in sparkling Autumn weather. About 25 degrees and clear blue skies. It’s a long weekend and the start of 2 weeks school holidays and hundreds of thousands of Aussies are on the roads travelling to local holiday spots. Many would normally go to Bali or Thailand or cruise the South Pacific but that’s not an option now. We do our travelling in between school holidays - much less congested.

The pandemic control has been first class here but unfortunately the vaccine rollout has been a complete cock up so far. Federal and State governments blaming each other and no one actually in charge. 
Hope all is well in your part of the world.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve hope all is well. Thanks for your very nice comments. Nice to hear from you.

Well we are allowed for families & friends in smallish numbers to meet. Junior Daughter yesterday for Afternoon tea.. Senior daughter tomorrow also afternoon tea. Then that will be all our 4 grandsons met for a long time.

Ha ha Jersy believe it or not was at the end of last week up to 24degrees plus.

But they are saying maybe snow in the next few days.  Crackers.

Vaccine going good. Pauline & I two jabs each. About 55% of the island have their first jabs & about 10% second jab. Our government has done a splendid job we are ahead of the UK. 1000 jabs per day in a population of 100,000. And it is making an imense impact. Very happy for the hospital people no cases there at all.

Take care Steve envy your temperatures.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

On 4/3/2021 at 10:17 PM, LaurieS said:

Soon be flying.

http://pqLEZd.jpg aPUSDO.jpg ta5Kxf.jpg 9TRXtW.jpg c4iJoA.jpg amxSVg.jpg hwdgWr.jpg

Mr S. your attention to detail is mind blowing. This will look I have no doubt stunning in Jersey Airport. Terrific work, love it. Still think you are a secret Master Modeller 😱🤣😂🤣. Cant wait for the final reveal 👍👌

Si 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Simon Dyer said:

Mr S. your attention to detail is mind blowing. This will look I have no doubt stunning in Jersey Airport. Terrific work, love it. Still think you are a secret Master Modeller 😱🤣😂🤣. Cant wait for the final reveal 👍👌

Si 

Take no notice of Si he dont know wot he is talking about most of the time.

Gee Master Modeller. 🙃🙃🙃

Laurie

Ah a hoofin and unusual build as per your norm Laurie.

I remember flying on these from Portsmouth airport with my folks in the 70s....no kids flew from my area in the 70s.

Also remember flying in an Herald I believe which ran out of grass runway and stopped on the Eastern rd.

Dont think the airport survived that much longer after that.

16 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Brilliant stuff - God bless Airfix's railway figures!

TT

That is very nice of you TT. Yes the figures very good. At 1/72 quite realistic. Good mixture.

4 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Ah a hoofin and unusual build as per your norm Laurie.

I remember flying on these from Portsmouth airport with my folks in the 70s....no kids flew from my area in the 70s.

Also remember flying in an Herald I believe which ran out of grass runway and stopped on the Eastern rd.

Dont think the airport survived that much longer after that.

Hi jungly.

Thanks for the acolade.

Are you sure Portsmouth ? That is a long way for these kiddies. I think that is was the Trilander but suspect that Hurn or Southmampton.

Hurn was a very popular spot for Channel Islands flights. Beverley used to land there.

Dart Herald my next for Jersey Airport. this one a transporter although may make it a passenger. Who knows. Herald was an innovation for Jersey. The airport is on one of the highest points in the island. About 800m from the seashore so winds especially cross winds didmake flying disruptive.

But with the Herald wing on top they mostly always flew in where others would not dare.

Laurie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another fine effort, Laurie

The windscreen looked rough, glad to see you still working your magic on  the plastic.

Your usual, meticulous work, on these rough old chestnuts!

Glad you and Pauline, and the rest of the islands are doing well.

I have been stalled in the model building lately,

lots of spring projects/chores and dogs to take up my time.

Will be checking back to see how your Islander turns out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grant H said:

Another fine effort, Laurie

The windscreen looked rough, glad to see you still working your magic on  the plastic.

Your usual, meticulous work, on these rough old chestnuts!

Glad you and Pauline, and the rest of the islands are doing well.

I have been stalled in the model building lately,

lots of spring projects/chores and dogs to take up my time.

Will be checking back to see how your Islander turns out.

Hi Grant. PMed you.

Thanks for your comments. Bit of a change civilian 7 1/72. Most history from when we came to live in Jersey.

Laurie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Laurie long time no see.

The last time I said hello I was building one of these, It tuned into a nice model.

Great to see your still building the Jersey airport its a nice piece of modelling.

Love all the types of aircraft and the airport staff and vehicles.

Good luck with the rest of the build Laurie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Archie Paton said:

Hi Laurie long time no see.

The last time I said hello I was building one of these, It tuned into a nice model.

Great to see your still building the Jersey airport its a nice piece of modelling.

Love all the types of aircraft and the airport staff and vehicles.

Good luck with the rest of the build Laurie

Thanks Archi very nice comments much appreciated.

Look forward to seeing your work on here I miss it. Breath of fresh air.

Laurie

10 minutes ago, LaurieS said:

Thanks Archi very nice comments much appreciated.

Look forward to seeing your work on here I miss it. Breath of fresh air.

Laurie

Not doing anything exciting at the moment but will post something up when I start a new one.

Been stuck a long time on old resin kits so need to get back to plastic and do a build.

• Like 1