Islander : Airfix 1/72 : Aurigny : Jersey Airport Diorama.

LaurieS

Islander which covered which flew constantly between Jersey Guernsey & Alderney. Aurigny is old French for Alderney.

The Islander was replaced by the Trilander (3 engines) which becme quite a thing with the kids. A little story was written & published called JOEY that being its registration.

Only one pilot. Always, as I flew between islands on business, thought of scrambling to the pilots position should he become ill. The worst bringing back a German Shephard pup from Guernsey. She made a hell of a noise in the hold keeping all the passengers laughing.

Laurie

http://gKcBRw.jpg dHEvaw.jpg C315cq.jpg x8d7pv.jpg pmctAQ.jpg

• Like 13

No rest for the weary Laurie. Nice choice and this should be a fairly straightforward build compared with your last couple of builds.

I used to spend time with my grandparents in St Helens on the IOW. You could see Bembridge airport and the Islander factory from their house.

Good luck with this one.

16 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

No rest for the weary Laurie. Nice choice and this should be a fairly straightforward build compared with your last couple of builds.

I used to spend time with my grandparents in St Helens on the IOW. You could see Bembridge airport and the Islander factory from their house.

Good luck with this one.

Wow did not realise Steve they were made on the IOW. Very nice place as well. On a family boating trip we made it from Jersey to the IOW. Went up the Medina River had  great time.

Arriving at difficulties with drying time on the Bristol Freighter. Usually only one on the go but with masking painting numerous bits I just cannot wait while my wife chats away incessantly. Joking.

Laurie

Edited by LaurieS

3 hours ago, LaurieS said:

I just cannot wait while my wife chats away incessantly. Joking.

Ha!  Very funny, but I'm sure she would not appreciate the humor of it.  I'm really excited to see another little one take shape.  What's the pilot figure look like on this model?  Is is a person with a helmet and mask, or with a "wheel" cap?

Edited by TheyJammedKenny!
wording

Regarding those well detailed cabin seating  I can tell you that most of these islanders just had a simple bench! This is pretty normal for Islanders of that era😉

This wil be a very nice addition to your fabulous diorama👍👍👍

cheers, Jan

9 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Ha!  Very funny, but I'm sure she would not appreciate the humor of it.  I'm really excited to see another little one take shape.  What's the pilot figure look like on this model?  Is is a person with a helmet and mask, or with a "wheel" cap?

Yes she did Alex I told her. I kept my preferables well camouflaged.

Pilot. Well head phones no cap etc. About right none from memory wore a cap. It was a very informal affair. The pilot half turned in his seat "said hello every body, all set for take off, just a 12 minute flight". Then mumbled into his mic. Started the engines which shook the craft. Did an accelerator blast, no noisy what so ever 😒🤣🙄.

4 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Another great Choice Laurie its a great little kit but will need plenty of weight to keep the nose down looking forward to seeing you work your magic as always 

regards

Eamonn

Thanks Eamonn. Weight on the nose always forget that one. On the little Humpty Dumpty I put a transparent on the tail to keep it upright.

Try some frozen peas up front 🤣

4 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Regarding those well detailed cabin seating  I can tell you that most of these islanders just had a simple bench! This is pretty normal for Islanders of that era😉

This wil be a very nice addition to your fabulous diorama👍👍👍

cheers, Jan

Thanks Ian. Yes the benches. Used to travel on one near every month. From memory the benches, more like deck chairs, were hinged as so many had to board from the minimum of doors. In Jersey they had there own room at the airport. Book in sit there. Aircraft arrived sat outside the door. Un loaded & you took your own luggage to the aircraft for the loader. More like a taxi service. With the wings up top & long legs to the landing gear they flew when the larger craft were grounded.

Thanks all for your encouragment much appreciated.

Laurie

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff, Laurie, and happy to see you've included your lovely wife in this build!  It's most refreshing to see someone so supportive of your other obsessions!  

As for the tank-looking things that go under the wings, were they present on these civilian birds?  They strike me as military in nature, and destined for the Defender. 

All looking good Laurie. 

I was doing some reading a while ago and Islander production was done on the IOW for the first few years then switched to Romania of all places.

As for the under wingy things - the military Defender version had underwing hard points for fuel tanks etc. I don't know if any civil versions had the same.

Cheers

Steve

Oh this brings back memories.

Taken on holiday to IOW as a kid,  we went to an airshow at Bembridge in about 1971, where the Islanders and Trislanders were being built.

Can't remember much about that, other than a Tiger Moth crashed on the runway.

I built the Airfix Islander as a kid, but never since then.

Briefly considered after seeing the Army's BN-2T-4S Defender 4000 at Fairford,  but turbine engines a 3 blade props made me reconsider.

I've NEVER seen a picture of an Islander with external fuel, so I'd suggest they're for the Defender version only.

I couldn't figure out the artwork,  landing quite close to The Needles, when Bembridge is on the other side of the island.

Only much later did I realise there was a missile testing base at The Needles, so probably an airstrip there.

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

I couldn't figure out the artwork,  landing quite close to The Needles, when Bembridge is on the other side of the island.

Only much later did I realise there was a missile testing base at The Needles, so probably an airstrip there.

There's no airstrip at The Needles and unless the pilot is planning a very sharp, steep turn to starboard the a/c is going to have a nasty collision on the cliff below the Old Battery. Have a look at Google Earth (or similar) and you'll see what I mean.

That kit takes me back to early model making with gluy fingerprints everywhere!

9 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Great stuff, Laurie, and happy to see you've included your lovely wife in this build!  It's most refreshing to see someone so supportive of your other obsessions!  

As for the tank-looking things that go under the wings, were they present on these civilian birds?  They strike me as military in nature, and destined for the Defender. 

Rescued again. Thamks Alex. Hope all is good. with your. Good god on the box it shows a picture of the Islander no pods. Dumb blind. Any one want free pods 🤣

5 hours ago, SteveMc said:

All looking good Laurie. 

I was doing some reading a while ago and Islander production was done on the IOW for the first few years then switched to Romania of all places.

As for the under wingy things - the military Defender version had underwing hard points for fuel tanks etc. I don't know if any civil versions had the same.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve great info. Romania strange. After retiring i produced weddings adverts etc including a christenings.

Asked to fim a christening by a Romanian family living Jersey. Just a great experience. They treated me as one of their own. Made sure I had food.

When I left the reception party & said good bye they all came around shook hands. Then Mum & Dad handed me a little box. Yes in the box a piece of christening cake.

I came home that day tired (filming is) but satisfied that there are nice people in this world.

Laurie

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

There's no airstrip at The Needles and unless the pilot is planning a very sharp, steep turn to starboard the a/c is going to have a nasty collision on the cliff below the Old Battery. Have a look at Google Earth (or similar) and you'll see what I mean.

That kit takes me back to early model making with gluy fingerprints everywhere!

Thanks Ian. Can vouch for that. We were in younger days boating types. Not silly sailing motor bots. came from Jersey 7 rounded the Needles close to.

Earlier in life we had a holday grand parents as well. Must have be about 8 or 9. 1948 perhaps. & there came sailing past HMS Indafatiguable the Aircraet Carrier.

Laurie

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Taken on holiday to IOW as a kid,  we went to an airshow at Bembridge in about 1971, where the Islanders and Trislanders were being built.

Can't remember much about that, other than a Tiger Moth crashed on the runway.

I built the Airfix Islander as a kid, but never since then.

Briefly considered after seeing the Army's BN-2T-4S Defender 4000 at Fairford,  but turbine engines a 3 blade props made me reconsider.

I've NEVER seen a picture of an Islander with external fuel, so I'd suggest they're for the Defender version only.

That is a nice recollection see my reply above for my recollection.

Also took a boat up the Medina River. Blowing a hooley so we had to take in a bit of protection.

Scary. came out of the medina went East & got cught up in a whole host of sailing boats. Wow had to use the engines & rudder that day. None of the devils would make way.

Laurie

1 hour ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Coming together very nicely Laurie great pics too 

Thanks for sharing

Eamonn

Very nice of you & thanks for looking in. 😀

13 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice progress so far Laurie,  I like these,  used to see these in the 80s coming and going from Lydd then the Trilanders later on, they were very noisy, the Trilanders,  as I recall. 

Chris 

Thanks Chris very nice of you. yes they were noisy.

Yes these yellow birds flew beteen the islands. Gave the Island a very domestic feel. Especially when JOEY came in.

It was a very casual set up. On the side of the airport building they had an office waiting room. The Islander parked immediatley in front of the ouside door. Suspect that could not happen nowadays. Just like a taxi service..

Thanks all Laurie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taking shape nicely Laurie. Sorry to hear about the medical issue.

Things are going quite good in Oz. We are almost COVID free but the vaccine rollout has been a bit of a mess so far. Travel within the country is just about back to normal.

We’ve just had our coolest and wettest summer for years. It’s been quite pleasant and a complete contrast with last summer.

Cheers

Steve

11 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Taking shape nicely Laurie. Sorry to hear about the medical issue.

Things are going quite good in Oz. We are almost COVID free but the vaccine rollout has been a bit of a mess so far. Travel within the country is just about back to normal.

We’ve just had our coolest and wettest summer for years. It’s been quite pleasant and a complete contrast with last summer.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. Getting better all the times here. Both jabs now & our eldests daughter came for coffee a nice suprise. She being a district nurse folloed our pattern & has had both jabs.

Ha ha could do with heat. 6degrees at night 11 day. But for a couple of days 19 degrees a real treat.

Nice to hear from youe Steve.

Laurie

On 2/25/2021 at 2:13 AM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

What's the pilot figure look like on this model?  Is is a person with a helmet and mask, or with a "wheel" cap?

The Defender kit (which this is - the original 1972 Islander kit had three styles of interior, two of which were deleted in favour of the Defender's tanks and gun pods in 1978) had both a three-piece civilian pilot and a 70s standard issue Airfix jet pilot. The two are just visible on the instructions.

The pods with one blunt end are MG pods, but no MGs are really apparent with them. The Defender artwork gave some impression.

I think I have never actually seen an Islander kit built, probably because they were so scarce for 20+ years - so I look forward to the result! I admit rarely venturing into the build threads, have you done/are you planning on putting a Matchbox TwOtter in Aurigny colours alongside? Certainly a most attractive colour scheme!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

The Defender kit (which this is - the original 1972 Islander kit had three styles of interior, two of which were deleted in favour of the Defender's tanks and gun pods in 1978) had both a three-piece civilian pilot and a 70s standard issue Airfix jet pilot. The two are just visible on the instructions.

The pods with one blunt end are MG pods, but no MGs are really apparent with them. The Defender artwork gave some impression.

I think I have never actually seen an Islander kit built, probably because they were so scarce for 20+ years - so I look forward to the result! I admit rarely venturing into the build threads, have you done/are you planning on putting a Matchbox TwOtter in Aurigny colours alongside? Certainly a most attractive colour scheme!

33 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice progress Laurie,  looking good.  I hope you are feeling better fella.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Will be much better when offending article has been removed 🤣

8 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Thanks for that info temptation.

TwinOtter. My Jersey Airport diorama is 1950/60. The Otter came to Jersey in the 70's a little out of my time frame. Pity.

However I have about 10 & the aiport looks full with 5.

Thanks for looking in much appreciated.

Laurie

• Like 2

I flew in an Islander of Aurigny, from Southampton to Cherbourg in 1973; then many years later I worked for four months on Alderney and flew in the Trilander. The island was fog bound for the first two days the flight was attempted, we got used to, "Oh well, please return to the airport at 7:30am tomorrow" after we landed. At least I got three trips in a Trilander before I stepped foot on Alderney! Nowadays I volunteer with the NCI as a Watchkeeper at the Needles, so the cliffs mentioned earlier would be the ones in Scratchells Bay. Our station is on top of those and we are at 425 feet when on watch, so he would have to pull up a lot more than he is doing....lol. Of course there is an allowance for artistic licence, but I could nit-pick about several things in the illustration.... Still, it is much better that the Valom 1/48 Islander's box-lid, where the Isle of Wight is a very peculiar shape indeed.

The Islander is in my stack, ready to be finished as G-AXWR to remember that flight getting on for 50 years ago... Thanks for jogging my memory.

• Like 1