Universal Carrier MK ll

Just new to the site.  I have completed my first build in 52 years.  I jumped into the deep end with both feet.  First time using PE and also Figures.

Tamiya 1:35 universal carrier MK ll plus figures, Eduard Photo etched, and all painted by hand.  Please be kind, my next effort will be a SPG Archer.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 59
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, junobeach said:

I jumped into the deep end with both feet.

Yes, but you don't drown, you swim very well!

Gotta agree with what others have said, this is top notch work 👍

Vytautas

PS. What paint do you use?

good day Vytautas. Originally thought I would just do what I did 50 yrs. ago, testors enamel. But hobby store clerk informed of acrylics, and my new journey has begun.

Bought a few books, lots of brushes, 2 blank sheets of polystyrene plastic and then all  Vallejo products. Primer , paint ,thinner, retarder, washes and pigments. Then 3 weeks of practice ! Getting the paint-thinner-retarder ratios and practicing the brush painting on the blank styrene before going on to the kit.

All to minimize the visible brush strokes.

Thanks Juno beach

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's a lovely little carrier. I like the scrim netting which you've added to the helmets, big improvement. The etch likewise makes a big difference.

Though how the devil did you manage to get the driver to fit? Did you leave the front panel off until the end? I tried to add the driver after all was built, but even with his legs sawn off it was a bit awkward. The poor fella!

• 2 weeks later...

Good day fittedkitchens. I had to put the driver and gunner in first. Then a lot of dry fitting for the steering wheel and Bren gun to fit in their hands. A little glue to just hold the wheel and gun then slip on the front panel, adjust the wheel and steering column to fit in the panel and then adjust the Bren. Then a permanent glue the panel and the figures. Not a quick process!!
thanks for the comments 

Dennis

Thanks for the encouragement it keeps me confident in continuing to build more.

I was pleased at the product for my first build in 52 yrs. but I have quite a ways to go to get up to the standards on this forum. A lot of amazing builds on the forum for me to use as references, modeling is far different from when I dabbled years ago!

next one will be an archer spg.

it will be a while as I do take it slow.

thanks Dennis

Hi Dennis. Well what can I say that hasn't already been said above. I don't think there's any way we would have guessed this was your first build for 52 years! If you'd said it was the latest in a long line of builds we would still have been impressed. The finish you have achieved with brushes is something you should be very proud of and your weathering is subtle and looks spot on! The detailing you have added to the insides is very well done as are your figures. The base too sets it all off really well.

Welcome to Britmodeller! I look forward to seeing more of your builds in future.

Kind regards,

Stix

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the positive note Mike.

as the first build in 52yrs. and first attempt at weathering , scratch build items and just proper model building was not sure how little or how much weathering to do. I went with less than more.

cheers Dennis

• 2 months later...

Hi Juno beach, this look great!!! Very very well painted. Love the radio and net on helmets. How did you add the net, was this scratch or etch parts? Also weathering if subtle but just right. My favourite parts is the wooden stocks of the weapons, really looks like wood. What colours did you use please, notice you also like Vallejo?

@Muchmirth I don't know what the OP used but I long ago found that a piece of ladies tights or panti hose make a very realistic helmet net. Particularly if they're tan coloured.

For heaven sake don't raid your significant other's drawer and ruin what might be a very expensive pair. Usually there's already a laddered pair you can use. But if you have to there are plenty of cheap ones available. 

• Thanks 1