Before and After

Hello to the railway section of Britmodeller!   :)   My first post in this area.

I've been very active on BM in the past building lots of aircraft and some AFVs but I consider myself to be a railway modeller first and foremost despite the fact that I haven't built anything railway related in twenty years!  :fool: 

This year, is the year that Enzo returns to railway modelling.

There is a seller on ebay who does some wonderful weathered wagons.  I have bought a handful from him and it has inspired me to have a go myself.  So...  I grabbed my trusty Sparmax Max-4 and had a go at some private owner wagons.

All three are RCH 7 plank side and end door wagons. From left to right they are:

• Bachmann 37-2016K   "Horlicks"  Collectors' Club Edition
  • Replica 13207  "Lambert & Cox"
  • Bachmann 37-091  "Tredegar"

All lovely and shiny new.

spacer.png

And after a bit of Sparmaxy goodness...

spacer.png

• Like 16

Actually, the pristine ones are ringers.  I have a few in The Stash.  :D

I used Tamiya XF-69 NATO black and XF-84 dark iron for the running gear and heavy weathering on the body.  Other weathering was provided by Flory weathering wash: dark dirt and grime.  The weathering dried nice and matt which contrasted with the shiny sheen of the wagons themselves so everything was matted down with a few thin coats of Winsor & Newton Galeria matt varnish.

Excluding the application of matt varnish, each wagon took me about twenty minutes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I now want to try renumbering wagons and representing some where the planks have rotted through and been replaced. 

This is fun!  :D  :bounce:  

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I now want to try renumbering wagons and representing some where the planks have rotted through and been replaced. 

Hopefully you will share this with us as part of my plan for 2021 is to age about ten wagons with the same aim.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul821 said:

Hopefully you will share this with us as part of my plan for 2021 is to age about ten wagons with the same aim.

That's my intention.  I have another four of the Tredegar wagons in The Stash, so I'd like to create a short rake of them, each of them renumbered and weathered differently.

I have a number of different Ratio/Parkside 16T mineral wagon kits in The Stash so a rake of them may well end up making an appearance in the Unarmed GB.  Mind you, I have plans for two Schools class locos in that one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

And the Horlicks factory is near Slough station - I pass it occasionally when driving through Slough.

Never occurred to me that they'd used the railways though.

Back in the day, everyone used the railways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, desert falcon said:

Have an Engine to pull them? 

I do, but all my weathered locos are stored in the attic.  I have a nice Fowler 4F 0-6-0 that was a recent purchase.  I should really weather it to match the wagons.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...