Classic-airlines.com?

Neil wharfe

Hello folks.

I am trying to contact Nick Webb of Classic-airlines.com. I ordered and payed for 3 sets of decals 2 weeks ago and have heard nothing from him. (Emailed and messaged via Facebook) NADA!

Does anyone else have any experience of this? Should I wait and hope for the best or get on to PayPal?

I appreciate times are funny at the mo but I’m not mad at throwing my hard earned away for nothing. 
Hoping you’re all well.

cheers

I can only speak from my experience Nick is an absolute gentleman and usually decals arrived within 4/5 weeks after ordering depending on what sheets I've  ordered. 

Perhaps with the current situation you may give him a little more time to reply and be patient I'm sure he won't let you down.

Eamonn

That's very odd.

My experience of Nick is the same as Eamonn's. As far as I know he's a print-on-demand operation so there shouldn't be any stock issues. I placed an order on 6 February and received the decals about ten days later. He's normally quicker than that but my little bit of Scotland was badly affected by snow and we had no mail for nearly a week. Don't forget that Royal Mail is part of the equation and the issue may be with them rather than Nick.

If you don't mind me asking, which e-mail address did you use to contact him?

Dave G

Having previously experienced excellent service I was surprised not to have received an order placed  last year. Enquiries led me to  believe the proprietor of Classic airlines has ongoing health problems as the result of a car accident.

15 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

That's very odd.

My experience of Nick is the same as Eamonn's. As far as I know he's a print-on-demand operation so there shouldn't be any stock issues. I placed an order on 6 February and received the decals about ten days later. He's normally quicker than that but my little bit of Scotland was badly affected by snow and we had no mail for nearly a week. Don't forget that Royal Mail is part of the equation and the issue may be with them rather than Nick.

If you don't mind me asking, which e-mail address did you use to contact him?

Dave G

Do you have an email address  Dave?

Glad you got sorted out Neil, as other have said Nick is an absolute gent, so I never doubted it.

The decals are on all over film so you have to cut closely around each subject. They go best on a white background as they are slightly translucent (being laser printed), so you need to mask carefully if you have any white/grey demarcations. I try to choose subjects where the decal has an all white underlying surface, and avoid any colour changes underneath them. It will show through.

Where there are door outlines I always cut straight through them on the cheatline, leaving the upper and lower door outlines on the sheet, and apply them later. This is because it is all to easy to have the outlines fold under as you slide the decal off the backing paper, and you then have the devils own job to unfold them. One of my favourites is his British eagle 1-11 which I did a while ago. Note there is a thin white line under the red stripe, this is carefully masked paint of the whole white top.

Which decals have you ordered?

Looking forward to seeing you finished model posted!

Cheers

John

Just a few comments to supplement what @Viking has said.

If you are familiar with the characteristics of laser-printed decals you won't have any problems but it is essential to apply them on a white background (or at least a VERY light one) since the ink is translucent. You can't use a laser cheatline over a colour demarcation so you need to be accurate with your masking or alternatively use a photocopy of the cheatline to make an underlay from white decal sheet and apply it first. I usually mask a simple colour demarcation but the photocopy/underlay method can be a great help with a more complex shape.

As a general rule I always try photocopies of the decals on every model I build even if I'm not doing an underlay. One minor annoyance with Classic Airlines is that Nick never tells you which kit the decals are designed to fit. I found out the hard way that decals designed for the Roden DC-7C are not a good fit on the F-RSIN model of the same aircraft and there are plenty of other examples. Don't take fit for granted.

Hope that's some help

Dave G

• Like 1

Nice to hear you got sorted and I agree with all the other posters regarding using  Laser decals.  They need a little extra work so vital to plan ahead but they do look fantastic when got right! and Nick does a very eclectic mix and produces the odd one off's too. 

Enjoy using them 

Eamonn

Edited by Team Aer Lingus
typos

Thanks chaps.

I’m building aeroplanes that I’ve flown on in the past; Air Rhodesia Viscount  (1/96 Glencoe, plan to sand and rescribe)

British Midland 1/144 Viscount (s&m)

South African 748... any advice on the kit?
Mark 1 looks nice but pricey; Welsh with vacuum fuselage is better priced but white metal looks a bit ‘agricultural’. Then there are the full resin,  Welsh and  Authentic which look lovely but wowzer...£50 is steep! 
They are all white with a metal underside so good start there. I had thought about photocopying to make some templates, I’ll definitely do that.

I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks again👍

Edited by Neil wharfe

One thing to watch with Welsh vac/resin kits is that many of them were originally issued as all vacform (i.e. vac fuselage, wings, engines etc) and the resin parts were substituted later. Sometimes the fit between the vac and resin parts isn't great and you need a bit of packing and filling to get it right. You shouldn't let that put you off but it's something to be aware of. You should also be aware that if you buy a Welsh kit with a resin fuselage you are likely to need a Dremel or similar tool to bore out the nose for weight. 

I built the Welsh vacform/resin HS748 kit many years ago using the Classic Airlines sheet for Channel Airways. Here's how it turned out in a rather poor photo at the 2015 Glasgow Modelfest. 

51019014357_4801895399.jpg

• Like 2

ciao

same for me

exchanged some info by email then on 3rd december ordered and payed for 7 sheets

sent reminder on 5/2 23/2 03/03

nothng

I dont want to push or be unpolite but I would like to know something

During those harsh times I hope nothing bad has happened to Nick

I'm not in a rush and if he just says that he has some delays absolutely not a problem for me!

But just to know and not get back to paypal and restarting everyhing from the very beginning.

So if someone has some nows please let us know

thanks

giuliano

milano

Ciao Guiliano.
I have a theory that he does not get email using capitals in the address (NickWebb). Where as  when I used [email protected] I got responses promptly.

Once I made contact, I sent a copy of the PayPal invoice and received them by first class post 2 days later.

I assume they were lost in the post originally.

The decals are superb.

Good luck.

Neil

Dear Neil thanks so much for kind suggestion!

Retyped with small letters

I do trust Nick as everybody says he is a real gentleman and I have no doubts about

But more than 100 days ellapsed time from my order and 4 remainders remained unanswered.................

I'm not in a rush but..................

If he just shows up saying I had a printing problem this will be fine for me, but just let me know!

I heartly hope that he has no big issues!

Let see............

I will be back when and if he will show uo, hopefully

ciao e grazie

giuliano