1:72 Airfix Shorts Tucano T.1

18 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Lovely Tucano. A great shame they have gone the way of so many RAF types over recent years.

Thanks Pete. I know how you feel, it's always sad to see aircraft go out of service - I cried when I saw F-111s being buried. But I understand that we have to make way for the newer technology to try and stay ahead of the game.

11 hours ago, IvanP said:

Excellent build! I saw the first flight of the Tucano prototype back in the 80's. Congrats!

Thanks Ivan. Wow, that must have been exciting to see the first flight. The Tucano has been such a success and used by so many countries. Something to be proud of.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 2

On 2/26/2021 at 11:55 AM, Navy Bird said:

Thanks Pete. I know how you feel, it's always sad to see aircraft go out of service - I cried when I saw F-111s being buried. But I understand that we have to make way for the newer technology to try and stay ahead of the game.

Thanks Ivan. Wow, that must have been exciting to see the first flight. The Tucano has been such a success and used by so many countries. Something to be proud of.    👍

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Just to give you more details. At that time, I was flying gliders and our soaring club shared the same runway with Embraer, which was just opposite to us. The engine checks of the Tucano prototype were done in an area just beside where our gliders were parked. In one of those weekends that we were flying, there was a rumour that the Tucano was going to make some taxi runs and that we would have to stop flying while that was taking place.  And that's exactly what happened. However, for everybody's surprise, they made a high speed taxi and left the ground, doing one or two circuits, and landing. There was nobody but just my club mates around, and no chase plane. The "official" flight happended a few days later. That's the story.

Cheers, Ivan

Edited by IvanP
  • Like 2

Terrific build Bill, best Tucano I've seen by a mile. Think I may have seen this display scheme in the flesh back in 2011!

Shame the resin engine wasn't an aftermarket lead engine to help with the tail sitting- but a great save with the base and chocks :)

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, IvanP said:

Just to give you more details. At that time, I was flying gliders and our soaring club shared the same runway with Embraer, which was just opposite to us. The engine checks of the Tucano prototype were done in an area just beside where our gliders were parked. In one of those weekends that we were flying, there was a rumour that the Tucano was going to make some taxi runs and that we would have to stop flying while that was taking place.  And that's exactly what happened. However, for everybody's surprise, they made a high speed taxi and left the ground, doing one or two circuits, and landing. There was nobody but just my club mates around, and no chase plane. The "official" flight happended a few days later. That's the story.

Great story! Talk about being in the right place at the right time. Never been that lucky myself.

15 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Bill..........I do not know what superlative to add that already hasn`t been other than it`s PERFECT!!!!!!  A true masterpiece. :worthy:

Thanks. However, I leave at least one mistake in and I always put it on the bottom. Or inside.    :)

14 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Shame the resin engine wasn't an aftermarket lead engine to help with the tail sitting- but a great save with the base and chocks :)

Yeah, that would have helped a LOT. But if she wasn't a tail sitter I wouldn't have bought that base. And I like that base.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
3 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Just stumbled across this - what a beautiful rendition :clap2:

Thanks Rob. It was a fun project.

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I just saw this one too. How could I have missed it first time around!

Well, old man...you missed it twice! On November 16, 2021 you posted the following in the WIP:     :)

"No idea how I missed this one Bill. The Tucano has turned out absolutely superb."

47 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

A beautiful build, lovely modelling !

Thanks Wulfman! I think the red, white, and blue display scheme suits the lines of the Tucano quite nicely.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Well, old man...you missed it twice! On November 16, 2021 you posted the following in the WIP:     :)

"No idea how I missed this one Bill. The Tucano has turned out absolutely superb."

Just goes to show! I distinctly do remember seeing it way back, but that was clearly in the WIP, and I must have missed the final RFI. Or maybe I did see it and forgot. Whatever, it's still an awesome build!

And you must consider, I have been indulging in our local beers here since retiring, so that might explain it..........

Us oldies need to stick together you know Bill, I won't tell everyone if you don't. 😜

T.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

And you must consider, I have been indulging in our local beers here since retiring, so that might explain it..........

You are forgiven. What was that beer again? Old Frothingslosh?     :drink:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 1