1:72 Airfix Shorts Tucano T.1

Excellent build & very neatly completed as usual. The resin extras, really make it extra special. The one thing that I do focus on is the det cord, which you can't build one of these without. Is that a decal or did you make it yourself?

Martin

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paulaero said:

Very nice, don't think I've seen a Tucano built with the cowlings off.

Thanks. I'd never seen one with the cowling off either until I started researching this project. Since CMK offered the resin engine I was curious what it might look like. The engine bearers and gussets in the photos were intriguing, so I thought I'd give it a go. Then I remembered it was 1:72 scale!    :)

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Lovely Model Bill, great work on this lovely scheme,  looks great on the base.

The base is nice, innit? I wasn't planning on one in the beginning but it was the only way I could think of to prevent tail sitting. There is plenty of room in the kit for weight upfront, but adding the resin engine sacrificed all that room. I crammed in as much Liquid Gravity as I could - I even shortened the nose gear well to add more space - but it wasn't quite enough. I had used wheel chocks to keep my Tigercat on her three legs but that trick didn't work here. The main gear legs flexed too much due to the softer plastic used by Airfix. It worked out OK in the end because the base looks great.

3 hours ago, viperchief said:

Amazing build! Love the engine, cockpit, and finish! 😍

Thanks. The photos of the real aircraft didn't show a super shiny gloss to the silver paint, so I gave her a final varnish with Floquil Flat, which yields a nice egg shell sheen.

3 hours ago, giemme said:

With that paint scheme, the only word is: cool! :clap2:

Impeccable build, Bill :worthy:

Thanks. Cool is good! I get tired of the drab military schemes and just have to go for something flashy. I thought this one fit the bill.

3 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That's a corker! All your improvements and aftermarket items have really paid off 👍

Thanks. All that CMK stuff really adds to the overall model. Pretty easy conversions, too - there are a couple of things to watch out for and they're described in the WIP thread should anyone else want to give it a go. But overall not too challenging.

2 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Excellent build & very neatly completed as usual. The resin extras, really make it extra special. The one thing that I do focus on is the det cord, which you can't build one of these without. Is that a decal or did you make it yourself?

Thanks. The detonation cord and other canopy markings are all decals from the Airfix kit. They are VERY fiddly though. I cut the decals into several more "manageable" pieces and they still tried to flip over, curl up, etc. I finally got them all on, but it was a spot of bother. The canopy is too thick, so I should have gone for a vacuform replacement. But I was too lazy.

Anyone else beside me notice that these training aircraft (Embraer Tucano, Pilatus PC-9, PZL 130, TAI Hürkuş, KAI KT-1, Fuji T-7, Beechcraft T-6, etc.) all look pretty much the same?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Saeran said:

Quality modelling there Sir!

Thanks for the base supplier info too, been looking around for something like that.

Thanks. Coastal have some really cool stuff. Check it out here.

Cheers,

Bill

Yowzah, Bill! Not only did you select an awesome color scheme, but you did an incredible build. I really appreciate the list of aftermarket parts you used, too! I have definitely saved your WIP and RFI for future reference! Hoping you are safe and Covid-free where you are. Me, I figure the cloud of lacquer thinner I run through my airbrush to clean it is 100% effective against airborne nasties! :like:

Mike

It took a Navy Bird build to make me realise what a pretty aircraft the Tucano was.

Immaculate as ever Bill.  Perfectly judged additions.

I’m surprised just how good the canopy mdc decals look as well.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kapam said:

Are sure this is 1/72 scale?

That's what it says on the box. Thanks!       🛩️

11 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great modelling skills and a great finished model. Well done sir!

Thanks Colin. Do I need to do a Chipmunk now?      🐿️

11 hours ago, David H said:

That's just amazing, Bill!!

Especially since it's so small - I'm glad I don't build 1:144!     🔎

11 hours ago, Ian said:

Museum quality modelling, right there.... simple as that.

Ah, but what museum? That's the question! Thanks.

6 hours ago, Fritag said:

It took a Navy Bird build to make me realise what a pretty aircraft the Tucano was.

Immaculate as ever Bill.  Perfectly judged additions.

I’m surprised just how good the canopy mdc decals look as well.

Thanks! She certainly is purty in this display scheme. I think I bought the decal sheet for a different project, and when I saw that scheme I decided to buy the Tucano kit. When I saw how few parts there were I went aftermarket crazy (although I do that most of the time anyway). The MDC decals do look good, I only wish I had followed your advice and got a vacuform canopy. Oh well, there's always the next time!      :doh:

Cheers,

Bill