B-52D Stratofortress

Hi All

Latest one off the workbench and something a little different for me...the 1/200 B-52D from Dragon.

A really neat little kit and a very enjoyable build, but one word of caution....best to add the wings complete with outriggers LAST after you've also added the main wheels, as there's no way you'll get all wheels to touch the ground. I made the mistake of just guessing the dihedral of the wings and found that when i added the outriggers at the end they were floating in mid air! Several evenings of bending the wings later with warm water and a heated candle and finally they were back to where they should be (well almost!)

This was no fault of the kit though...just poor forward planning by me.

Decals were straight from the kit which although fairly elderly held up reasonably well apart from some decal film on the wing walkway lines that i just could not get rid of despite much soaking with microsol and gloss varnish.

Paints were Tamiya and Mr Hobby. I took a flyer on the colours rather than matching the FS codes as every photo i could find of the 'D' seemed to show varying shades and colours. In the end I followed the example preserved at the Duxford Air Museum for comparison.

Photos aren't the best as they're from the mobile phone.

Thanks for looking, comments much appreciated........

IMG_20210224_163433

IMG_20210224_163415

IMG_20210224_163319

IMG_20210224_163359

• Like 42
  • Thanks 2

Excellent build!

Your work on flexing the wings, to get the outrigger wheels on the tarmac, paid off by the look of it.

For a plane this size, there's something to be said for 1/200 scale!

Beautifully done!

:clap2:

• Thanks 1

On 24/02/2021 at 17:51, binbrook87 said:

I took a flyer on the colours rather than matching the FS codes as every photo i could find of the 'D' seemed to show varying shades and colours

Great job! I think you are spot on with the "fades and shades". At least that kind colour comes to my mind having only seen photographs or video clips from the time when the "D"s  were put into action.  

• Thanks 1