AK Xtreme Metal paints reacting with each other - any ideas please

Tramline222

Hi hope more experienced modellers can help here...

I’m using AK Xtreme metal paints for the first time on a Lightning, I’ve read copious threads about its application and using a black base and all was looking good - the aluminium sprayed beautifully over the gloss black base and I left the paint to dry and it looked unblemished. About a week later I decided I’d mask off a few panels and used another shade of AK Xtreme metal paint and to my shock the two colours appeared to react and the black base became visible. Luckily I’d tested this out on an unattached wing so so major damage - but can anyone suggest what I did wrong?  The airbrush was clean and dry and working properly.  As a further test, I ran aluminium over a bare plastic mule then dark aluminium without any issue....

Grateful for any thoughts....

1 hour ago, Space Ranger said:

What did you use for your black base (which really isn't necessary, by the way, in spite of all those copious threads)? Sounds to me like that is where the problem may lie.

Thanks for responding - I used the AK Xtreme Black Base - it had fully cured.   Very strange that the same range of paints should react in such a way.

It's normal if your second paint was being applied too thick or the first paint was too thin. You can reactivate the first layer/paint if you go too thick. 

In theory you could overcoat with a varnish that would protect the first one, but then again, that could mean clogging up panel lines. You'll need to practice until you find a balance that works best.

14 hours ago, Tramline222 said:

Very strange that the same range of paints should react in such a way

I believe AK only recommend the black base for use with Polished Aluminum. In my spoon testing of the AK Metallics I really struggled to see any difference between polished aluminium with or without a black base. I use without.

12 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

You can reactivate the first layer/paint if you go too thick

And that's not all - I initially had major problems with AK extreme seeming to react with tamy tape, leaving a nasty goo behind. Following suggestions here, I now apply it very thinly and have had no further problems

Cheers

Colin