Type 38 Schnellboot

Following on from my Build Thread here is the model on its shiny oak base.

The vessel modelled is S-46, one of only 12 s-boats fitted with the 40mm Bofors  (according to table 13 in Fock).  The model is fully scratch built from plans obtained from Paul Stamm Modellbau in Saarbrücken, supplemented with other drawings from various publications and some excellent unpublished photographs provided by @Arjan for which I am very grateful :thumbsup:

The hull is solid wood, built up using balsa infills between ply frames, the superstructures are largely copper, supplemented with etch brass made by 4D to my drawings.  Many of the other components are 3D resin printed also to my own drawings.  It is painted using Vallejo paints from their Kriegsmarine set and weathered to look like its having a hard war.

The following extract is from S-boot net describing how the boat was lost

On 10.09.1943 the Red Army landed in the city of Novorossijsk. Six days later the town had to be evacuated. On 11.09.1943 Soviet ground attack aircraft attacked the boats of the 1. SFltl returning home. Not impressed by the defensive fire they pushed down to 10 m height and fired with onboard guns. On "S 46" all engines fell out, the torpedo in the port tube exploded and tore the forecastle off until the bridge. In spite of the ongoing attacks "S 49" went alongside and took over the partly severely wounded crew and two killed in action. The boat was then sunk with a torpedo. 

She is modelled as she was in 1942 serving with the 2nd flotilla based in the pens at Ijmuiden, as per the picture below.  She is equipped for fast minelaying

S-46 the 2. SFltl with Acorn

She is mounted on turned brass pillars on French polished solid oak.  The name plate is from engraving studios, £12.50, good value and fast turnaround.  The oak case is not ready yet, a couple of weeks away hopefully

DSCN2166

DSCN2168

DSCN2169

The papier mache canvas sides worked well this time.  They sit slightly concave between the stanchions and have a nice level of weathering.  The waterline is my own mix oily green weathering, very dilute Vallejo paint, stippled on and wiped off a number of times, resulting in a dark weathered line with a slight green hint

DSCN2170

The ensign is hand painted and soaked in weak PVA before drying in shape, the transfer was printed on my laser printer on transparent waterslide decal paper, the decks are canvas covered as per real practice

View of the rear, note the slop bucket.  I read somewhere that the crew had no head, they used a bucket and chucked it over the stern, had to include that detail.  The mines are UMC mines, 3D printed with added wire detailing, the Bokors is made from 40 odd brass turned, etched and shaped pieces

DSCN2171

Midships and bridge detail, the lookout is there to show the help people understand the scale

DSCN2172

View from the air

DSCN2173

Comparison post coming later with my SGB

Cheers and thanks for the support during the build

Steve

• Like 38
  • Thanks 5

For a comparison, here she is next to the vessel that was designed to counter the threat, the Denny Steam Gunboat I built last year, waterlines the same.  The model is intended as a companion to the SGB

DSCN2174

DSCN2175

DSCN2176

Cheers

Steve

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

A truly brave endeavor Steve to build a boat like that from scratch and you pulled it off remarkably well and in such a short time !  I admire your craftsmanship and attention to detail. Needless to say I also enjoyed our discussions.

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Arjan said:

A truly brave endeavor Steve to build a boat like that from scratch and you pulled it off remarkably well and in such a short time !  I admire your craftsmanship and attention to detail. ...

:ditto:  Well said, Arjan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fabulous end result from a thoroughly entertaining and illumunating blog.  Detail all round to die for, and don't they look magnificent together :clap2:

A Huge Well done.

And now a slightly vulgar thought but appropriate giving the fact that I think they have considerable value........do you insure them?

Rob

(And good luck with the move)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

I'm going to have to read that build log now instead of doing actual work

Just think of it as work David, that way you won't feel guilty

13 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

The flag is really well done, great pose, I’ll need to try that

You should, as I've said, my pet hate is ship models with standing out starched flags, they need to fall naturally.  Weight the bottom corner while the weak PVA is drying and the shape comes with ease.  Also the folds naturally cover all the mistakes from the painting 👍

12 hours ago, robgizlu said:

do you insure them?

Thanks Rob, the answer is no, I've not given that any thought at all, I'll look into it. 

12 hours ago, robgizlu said:

(And good luck with the move)

One week into clearing the garage, we are going to need a second skip, hands up who hates throwing away perfectly good offcuts of timber :doh:.... 

My workshop comes next, sigh..  Still, the move will give me the opportunity to design a better one, this will be my fifth, hopefully I'll get it right this time

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

Truely inspirational

Thanks Stuart, that is my goal, to show kit builders (who I admire btw, in particular the way they can paint) not to be frightened of going off piste and building whatever vessel they feel like, not just what is available....

14 hours ago, beefy66 said:

admire your details and build speed

Thanks Beefy, much appreciated.  This one was quick I know, partly the pressure of the move, partly there are not too many details in fact, the SGB for instance contains a lot more components.

15 hours ago, Arjan said:

Needless to say I also enjoyed our discussions.

Likewise, the information we've both posted will make it much easier for anyone following to add the right touches

Lastly, thanks again for all your support.  I'm very glad I joined this forum, the community means a lot and has greatly assisted my passage through lockdown.  Lets hope the shows open this year, so I can show my work and hopefully meet some of you in person

In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back...."

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Steve D said:

View of the rear, note the slop bucket.  I read somewhere that the crew had no head, they used a bucket and chucked it over the stern, had to include that detail. 

I'm not sure about that Steve although the only evidence to the contrary I could find is in the Osprey New Vanguard booklet by Gordon Williamson :

ieI0tsH.png

The booklet also contains an illustration of the interior of an S-100 boat showing a toilet. The Lürssen drawings in the Fock book however, only show a wash basin here. I have contacted someone who probably knows the definitive answer  🙂 .

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arjan said:

The Lürssen drawings in the Fock book however, only show a wash basin here

From memory, it was a comment I read made by an RN officer who claimed the boats were filthy after they surrendered and included that snippet of extraneous detail.  This may of course be put down to a natural sense of superiority on the part of a victor....:hmmm:

Anyway, I like including buckets on my models, also useful for cooling barrels and washing down decks

Steve

Another epic piece of scratch modelling Steve, I really don't know how you manage to do it in the timescale you do, fantastic result and a fascinating WIP thread, you seem to be creating your own Coastal Forces museum, cap doffed big time sir !

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

What Arjan said. It has been a pleasure following along with you. The result is amazing to say the least. It is a high bar to reach even on the plastic kit route

Your Fairmile is such an incredible model as well they look good together.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Postscript image,

Here she is in her display case (one of Peter Jones great glass and oak cases), safe and ready for the move (I will be moving all the boats....)

DSCN2179

New build thread coming soon, I can't keep away....

Cheers

Steve

• Like 9

On 24/02/2021 at 16:29, Steve D said:

Following on from my Build Thread here is the model on its shiny oak base.

The vessel modelled is S-46,

xxx

She is modelled as she was in 1942 serving with the 2nd flotilla based in the pens at Ijmuiden, as per the picture below.  She is equipped for fast minelaying

S-46 the 2. SFltl with Acorn

xxx

Steve

I don't know if anybody cares or everybody knows already and I'm the last to notice, but let me add regarding the acorn: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorns_(suit)

(fits nicely to the other S-Boat with the heart)

Edited by Jochen Barett
typo
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Congratulations on this truely great  piece of modelling! 

Thanks Steve, while I'm getting more confident with weathering, I recognise I have a long way to go regarding painting in general..

Another thread coming soon as the house renovation nears completion, This time with what I hope will be an interesting twist :hmmm:

• Like 1