What's the Difference between the Su-30MKK and the Su-30MK?

Harrier/ViperFan

Think it's basically down to the fact there are not a great deal of users for the Su-30mkk. I encountered this very same issue when I bought the Academy release some years ago, I eventually built it as the demonstrator. I then made the same mistake and bought the HB release but have since sold it on. The Russian Air Force operate a small number of them which I believe were returned from India. Your best bet might be to check online for photos of these aircraft and use standard Russian decals/bort numbers. Other than that there's some sheets for Venezuelan or Chinese examples.

I think by the Su-30MK your referring to the modern day Su-30SM standard canard version which is much more widely used in Russia, India, China etc in various marks.

the important thing to know is that any MK is a two seater, with twin nosewheel and high tailfins. no canards

that is all MK, MKK,MK2,  MKV,etc. planes

so China, Vietnam, Venezuela, Indonesia, and Angola and another country (Uganda) that escapes me at the moment as main operators. The Russian airforce uses some 4? as trainers

be careful, the "K"only  that does not count, as  are the first 18 Indian ones, that actually were converted Su-27UBs (and went to Angola finally?)

The two seaters with canards and short tailfins are different, arguably more advanced derivatives used by India (Su-30MKI) Algeria (MKA) Malyasia (MKM) and then finally the Russian version of it called Su-30SM. Sold also to Kazakhstan and Belarus.

hope this clarifies it for you!

so its canards vs. no canards and high vs. shorter tailfin

what kind of plane do you want to build?

• Like 1

Su-30MK was the base export version and usually getting changed to satisfy the contract with the customer country, for example Su-30MKK is the version that was designed specifically for Chinese contract (the second K in the name stands for Китайский ("Chinese" in Russian) and was based of the MKI, however they removed canards, non thrust vectoring engines AL-31F and slightly enlarged fins. Also there are some internal equipment changes however those are not going to be visible on the model. 

So let me ask you this: are you trying to build Su-30MK* in PLAAF service or some other country? If so what country?

Edited by Doom3r
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doom3r said:

Su-30MK was the base export version and usually getting changed to satisfy the contract with the customer country, for example Su-30MKK is the version that was designed specifically for Chinese contract (the second K in the name stands for Китайский ("Chinese" in Russian) and was based of the MKI, however they removed canards, non thrust vectoring engines AL-31F and slightly enlarged fins. Also there are some internal equipment changes however those are not going to be visible on the model. 

Not do sure if the MK and the MKI are related as you say, more like siblings with the same Su-27 mother...

One was developed by  KnAAPO factory, the other by IAPO (Irkutsk)

The were actually competitors

Don't know when and where the canard came into playing, for sure the were used on the Su-33 naval version first, but also on the Su-35/37 demonstrators... (careful single seat, high fins! not to be confused with the current Su-35S)

@Flankerman to the rescue please! ;)

24 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

So can a Venezuelan Su-30MK be made from the HBB Su-30MKK kit?

Duncan B

Yes Duncan, can be made straight from the box with AM decals.👍

• Thanks 1

Sorry for my late reply. I was looking at some Su-27 decals i have and found some Su-30 ones included. The one that takes my fancy is:

Su-30 S/N 96310107037 belonging to 54th Guardian Fighter Regiment, 148th Combat Employment and Personnel Retraining Centre of Russian Federation Air Defence System, Savasleyka AB 1998.

You neeed to look at the history....

In the beginning there was the Sukhoi Design Bureau (OKB) in Moscow - that designed and built a few protoypes of the T-10/T-10S (Su-27).

Production of the Su-27 single-seater was then assigned to a 'factory' who produced it in quantity - in this case the Komsomolsk-na-Amur Aviation Production Association (KnAAPO)

Sukhoi OKB then designed the tandem two seater (Su-27UB) - and this was assigned to a new factory for production - Irkutsk Aviation Production Association (IAPO) based in Irkutsk.

Are you still with me...???

With the breakup of the Soviet Union, the two factories started to design their own rival variants - Irkutsk - because they already had the tandem two-seater - developed for India the

Su-30MKI (M for Modified[meaning Upgraded], K for Komerciial [meaning Export] and I for Indiski [India]} - with canards and thust vectoring (TVC) - on the back of which were developed the Su-30MKM (Malaysia) and Su-30MKA (Algeria)

In the meantime, China was looking for a combat two-seater - but there was no way the Indians would let Chinese technicians into their 'factory' to spy on the Su-30MKI - so up stepped KnAAPO with the Su-30MKK (K for Kitei [China] proposal.

KnAAPO had the T-10M (Su-35) and sea-going Su-33 in production - plus the sole Su-35UB two-seater (as a potential lead-in trainer for the Su-35/37).

The Su-30MKK was a completely separate design - without canards or TVC - but with tallet flat-topped fins (taken from the Su-35 (T-10M))

Variants of the Su-30MKK have beeb sold to Indonesia, Vietnam, Venezuela etc etc

I hope this potted history help explain the bewildering spaghetti of numbers and letters used by the two factories

Feel free to any more to the explanation...

Ken

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

23 hours ago, Muzz said:

Yes Duncan, can be made straight from the box with AM decals.👍

Excellent I already have the Decals for the Venezuelan one.

17 hours ago, Flankerman said:

You neeed to look at the history....

In the beginning there was the Sukhoi Design Bureau (OKB) in Moscow - that designed and built a few protoypes of the T-10/T-10S (Su-27).

Production of the Su-27 single-seater was then assigned to a 'factory' who produced it in quantity - in this case the Komsomolsk-na-Amur Aviation Production Association (KnAAPO)

Sukhoi OKB then designed the tandem two seater (Su-27UB) - and this was assigned to a new factory for production - Irkutsk Aviation Production Association (IAPO) based in Irkutsk.

Are you still with me...???

With the breakup of the Soviet Union, the two factories started to design their own rival variants - Irkutsk - because they already had the tandem two-seater - developed for India the

Su-30MKI (M for Modified[meaning Upgraded], K for Komerciial [meaning Export] and I for Indiski [India]} - with canards and thust vectoring (TVC) - on the back of which were developed the Su-30MKM (Malaysia) and Su-30MKA (Algeria)

In the meantime, China was looking for a combat two-seater - but there was no way the Indians would let Chinese technicians into their 'factory' to spy on the Su-30MKI - so up stepped KnAAPO with the Su-30MKK (K for Kitei [China] proposal.

KnAAPO had the T-10M (Su-35) and sea-going Su-33 in production - plus the sole Su-35UB two-seater (as a potential lead-in trainer for the Su-35/37).

The Su-30MKK was a completely separate design - without canards or TVC - but with tallet flat-topped fins (taken from the Su-35 (T-10M))

Variants of the Su-30MKK have beeb sold to Indonesia, Vietnam, Venezuela etc etc

I hope this potted history help explain the bewildering spaghetti of numbers and letters used by the two factories

Feel free to any more to the explanation...

Ken

Despite having the Gordon Flanker book it still confuses me so thanks for the potted history.

Duncan B